BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #hessery_spacejunk_0_1-0 | 2021-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Working on an arcade space game.
Wanna test out how to do things with splore.
Had to upload.

0 comments

Cart #realtime_render-1 | 2021-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! I've been working for the past two weeks in implementing a realtime rendering engine for pico-8. It really is just meant to be a tech demo. The performances when a lot of the screen pixels are filled are quite bad, but it works well if the objets are not too close to the camera :). I have simple directional lighting working at the moment and plan on adding more soon, starting with omni lights and spot lights.

Tell me what you think or if you have any optimization suggestions! :)

PS: I first started off as a usual rtr pipeline where all vertices were shaded, then used the vertex fragments into a rasterization pass, then processed the pixels fragments. The issue was that the memory cost for holding the pixel fragments was too great and the pico-8 would just run out of memory very quickly. By fully processing one triangle at a time, I ended up with much better cpu and mem performance.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hey y'all, I'm gonna use this thread as my rubber ducky while I flail around figuring stuff out. Hopefully someone here has insight or I am missing something simple and solvable...

Cart #yajoziyoro-0 | 2021-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've been trying to create the audio atmosphere where button being held down (x) turns on an otherwise muted music track. In theory this seemed easy. I feel like I am always one step away from a graceful solution, but keep making a mess.

I have created the function squeak(voil) that goes through the music memory and peeks and pokes its way to mute and unmute (aka voil) the particular channel on key press. This only works for the NEXT pattern however and not for the current pattern playing.

Alright, well, since I'm doing the peeking, I know the sfx that is supposed to be playing on the heretofore muted channel. I can just run an sfx call, offset by stat(20)—and then when the music call rolls over to the next pattern, the newly unmuted channel will just take over and everything will loop fine from that point on forever, but the music tag doesn't take over from the sfx.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

The Pico-8 BBS Download Link-inator!

Are you 😪 of tedious right-click, save-as routines?

Well, with this script, life just got a bit less tedious!

Where to get it?

Right here on my Github!

Usage

This is a userscript written in javascript , that adds a nice, big download link right under the cart player on the Pico-8 Bulletin Board System. Does literally what it says on the tin.

To use this, you need something like TamperMonkey installed in your browser. (I'm using Firefox Developer ATM.)

Notes

Is this necessary? Nope, but I got sick of clicking the link, then right click save as...you know the deal. This just makes a big fat link on the page, in a bright blue color, right beneath the player for the game itself.

Thanks!

Check out my website, my Github, or follow me on Twitter

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Is there any way to get the system time? I know we can track the seconds since launch of the program but some type of unix timestamp would be nice. I want to build a game that tracks playtime between sessions. Think of a pico+tamagotchi mash up :)

2 comments

Cart #fenitsayi-0 | 2021-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So this is my first Pico-8 Project!
I don't know if i'm going to finish this so don't wait for it.

This supposed to be an infinite rouge-like with randomized items and map. So far I've managed to write player movement with collision and a reaaaaaally basic room generator which I probably have to rewrite in the future. As you can see this is not anywere near complete and you can't really do anything at the moment. Feel free to have a look at my code, but be warned I'm not good at coding. I've just started to learn programming and want to use Pico-8 as a stepping stone towards a "real" game engine.

Controlls:
Arrow keys for movement

0 comments

Cart #jelpi_altpaltest-1 | 2021-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is basically me testing how the "second palette" pokes work on PICO-8. The lower 24 rows of the screen are now occupied by a HUD strongly inspired by the game "Ultracore", which displays (fake) number of lives and ammo and (real) number of gems collected and level number.

The status bar area uses its own palette with lots of colors from the second set of 16 colors, but doesn't interfere with the game itself (though the camera had to be raised a bit to make it work).

2-player mode is not tested, probably will break.

Changelog:

• v2: made the game apply the second palette whenever the first one is updated, now that its existence is official and pal() resets it as well.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #sesafohuho-0 | 2021-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

What software is used to create carts for the PICO-8? I.E. will purchasing PICO-8 also give me access to a cart builder?

5 comments

Made a weird fade-type thing. I'm not entirely sure myself how the deterioration thing works, I just divide the draw colour by the deterioration factor and increase said factor by the deterioration rate every pixel. Messing around with the deterioration rate, starting factor and colour range yields different results, some radically different from others. Adding randomised

pal(x,y)

statements could be cool.

1 comment

Cart #stormyp8_tileflip-0 | 2021-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Quick first playable something. Made to get a basic handle on the loop.

0 comments

i don't know if its weird but i like my stuffs in one place as long as possible
and in terms of game dev i like stuffs i can open from steam,
if you know krita its an open source app but in steam you need to buy
i still bought the app to also support the devs,
godot engine is there blender is there krita is there aseprite also
too many reason to put the app there
you'll get an auto update you can also turn it off too
bigger community bigger forum bigger audience
steamworkshop but then again its up to the dev if theyll implement this

i like the concept of this and i hope ill see it on steam
endorse this to people make this game engine popular

15 comments

Cart #rockpaperkatana-0 | 2021-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A classic game of rock, paper, katana. 5 wins. Relax, enjoy :)

Suggestions on extensions and enhancements appreciated anytime!

1 comment

It is far too easy to create a softlock cartridge.

RUN() -- Softlocks program if run from Splore. The only
      -- way to stop is by closing PICO-8 entirely.

Of course, if run from the command line you can always just press ESC and everything will be fine. But I've tested this by running from Splore and there is no escape.
Try it yourself! Just make sure that you saved your work.

0 comments

Cart #tawewush-0 | 2021-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #hakuzagura-0 | 2021-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

ULAM.P8

Cart #ulam_machi-0 | 2021-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

my first try ended up giving a OUT OF MEMORY error on the BBS, I hope this one works.

Renders Ulam spiral starting at 0 rotating counterclockwise.
Shoutouts to JWinslow23 for bringing me down to my senses with how to map the numbers within the position table haha

controls

Mouse - Select number
MB1 - Show number and highlight diagonal primes

2 comments

A prototype I whipped up in two hours, my first completed "game", now I just want to polish it a bit, adding in some fade-ins or something for the reply-reveals
Please enjoy
EDIT
0.4 Now with sound!

Cart #orakle_0_4-0 | 2021-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #hojosefma-1 | 2021-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small adventure game built in five days.

1 comment

Cart #soyedimake-0 | 2021-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->