BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #tmirobot_shobu-2 | 2020-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico8 implementation of the boardgame "Shōbu" by Manolis Vranas and Jamie Sajdak.

OVERVIEW
In Shōbu, the play area is divided into four boards. The goal of the game is to push all of your opponent's pieces off of any one of the four boards.

The two boards on your side of the play area are known as your HOME BOARDS.

YOUR TURN
On your turn, you must make two moves: first, a PASSIVE move, and then an ACTIVE move.

PASSIVE MOVE
For your PASSIVE move, you may only select a piece from one of your HOME BOARDS.

• You may move this piece up to 2 spaces in any direction.
  • During your PASSIVE move, you may NOT push any other pieces.

ACTIVE MOVE

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #im_sad_button-0 | 2020-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press when u sad

(based on this tweet from a friend) https://twitter.com/Dream_Beam_/status/1344036827431391232

(Also I know that it is unoptimized so after a while the particles will lag the cart)

1 comment

Cart #gl_captpihawk-0 | 2020-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My buds and I took it upon our selves to try a pseudo-gamejam between ourselves to learn pico8. We decided on a theme of recreation. I recreated (sort of) captain skyhawk from the good old nes days of my childhood.

arrows to move, z to shoot, x to change speed.

Tips:

• You can go fast, but for your first few tries, just get used to the game.
  • You can't crash into the left/right walls, you can hold left and right no problem.
  • If you hold shoot, you will shoot automatically.
  • The fire rate goes up after every boss.
  • The goal is surviving, you don't need to kill everything.
    • 10 per enemy kill
    • 50 per boss node killed

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bitufayoso-1 | 2020-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first PICO-8 game: SMOL LANDER!

Started as the Lander tutorial from 'Game Development on PICO-8' and I kept hacking on it. Added some thruster animations, meteors, and a 'safety rating' scoring system.

Adding some particle animations next, and I'm thinking a way to 'gain rank' and ramp up the difficulty by adding more tasks. No title page yet. :(

Arrows for up, left, and right thrusters.
(x) to start the next arrival (if you crash or succeed).
(o) to restart entirely (clears your score).

EDIT: New version uploaded!

Apologies if I've broken protocol for uploading updated versions. :)

2 comments

Cart #porras_mdfish_01-0 | 2020-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this game for my nephews since I couldn't visit these holidays and play with them. It's work in progress and there are some things I want to polish (the most important is that, while it's supposed to start easy and become harder, difficulty grows too fast; level 8 is already quite challenging for kids, and 10 is, I think, impossible :D), but they're already enjoying it since christmas day. The texts are in Spanish but the game is simple enough. You have to get fish with your net, bring it to your helper who has a bucket that can hold up to 3 fish. Then you have to bring your helper to one of the water sections to "rescue" the fish. You need to rescue at least 5 fish in a minute to advance to the next level.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #frozax_windrose-0 | 2020-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Small animation. Code is quick and dirty.

0 comments

Here are 3 bugs related to assignment operations:

The result for the operation above should always be <0, but when using rnd"1" this is not the case. Using rnd(1) works as intended.

In this code, the sum of tab[1] and tab[2] should always be 4, but it's not always the case. Using rnd(2) instead of rnd"2" doesn't fix the issue in this case, you have to make a separate assignment for the table index. tab[rnd({1,2})]+=1 doesn't work correctly either.

Here rnd"2" is read as a function, as if the code was just a+=3-rnd. Using rnd(2) fixes it.

1 comment

Cart #arkanoid-0 | 2020-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Arkanoid
by DMB

How to play:
Use the left-key and the right-key to move the pad, X to start (mostly Y-key or Z-key) and hit the ball with a moving pad to change the angle.

0 comments

Cart #yarn-0 | 2020-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After a can of toxic waste is dumped into a river, fish used to make cat food turns normally cute and cuddly cats into menacing decaying creatures! Cat Zombies! Now they are terrorizing the city and it’s up to our hero - Doodle, a brave little ball of yarn - to save the day.

Gameplay

In Yarn you control the character by using just the X button. Avoid the traps, collect the stars and stomp on the zombie cats to complete each level. This version of the game is a demake of an iOS game created by a couple friends of mine.

Check out the complete Yarn game for iOS at https://is.gd/yarngame

Settings

Transparency - In the pause menu you can turn on an experimental transparency feature. Transparency is achieved by flickering some sprites on and off between frames. This works well in some environments and not so well in others. It is disabled by default.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

The Captain Nimbus Main Menu Theme is now on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/vIaVVjzZqXw

(Like, Subscribe, Comment, or don't, it's optional)

0 comments

Looking for feedback on this cart before I put this project on pause for a bit.

Cart #fafunonuzi-0 | 2020-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #saziwepaju-0 | 2020-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Not really fun, but I'm uploading to see.

Anyone have any idea how handling should work for a track of approximately this width.

No collision detection.

x to accelerate.

Sprite rotation using a function supplied by @freds72

4 comments

Cart #santspants-3 | 2021-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little game I created for Christmas. It's my first time, please be gentle!

12 comments

Gather your subjects. Ascend to divinity.

Cart #yumjagone-0 | 2020-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

I'm at a loss trying to decipher some code to better my understanding of core principles. Using the fantastic Advanced Micro Platformer by @mhughson as a subject of study I was reading into how the engine detects horizontal collision for the player. It does this through a collide_side function

function collide_side(self)

local offset=self.w/3
	for i=-(self.w/3),(self.w/3),2 do
	--if self.dx>0 then
		if fget(mget((self.x+(offset))/8,(self.y+i)/8),0) then
			self.dx=0
			self.x=(flr(((self.x+(offset))/8))*8)-(offset)
			return true
		end
	--elseif self.dx<0 then
		if fget(mget((self.x-(offset))/8,(self.y+i)/8),0) then
			self.dx=0
			self.x=(flr((self.x-(offset))/8)*8)+8+(offset)
			return true
		end
--	end
	end
	--didn't hit a solid tile.
	return false
end

So I'm trying to make sense of this, and I can't seem to parse it in a way that makes sense. Breaking it down it assigns a local value offset to 2.66 roughly, because self.w is 8. And then it runs a for loop beginning at -2.66 through 2.66, with a "stride" of 2? So it counts up from -2.66 to 2.66 in increments of 2, and adds the current i to the y value? I assume this is checking for collision along the y axis of the sprite from top to bottom, but I cannot figure why it seems to check the y coord + -2.66, -.66, etc. So I assume I am misunderstanding something big.

And then it sets dx to 0, and then sets the player x to what I assume is the start of the wall tile. But I can't see where it accounts for player acceleration to adjust the end value, or how it compensates to avoid a "clip" into the wall.

I'm at my wits end trying to decipher this and further my understanding of how this math works. I've resorted to pen and paper drawing out different runs through this function, and it just seems like magic.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, or otherwise direct me towards something to help me with these fundamentals. Happy Holidays!

Edit: Figured I'd link to the cart itself as well:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28793

3 comments

This is a preview of pico boulder dash.
(Not by Nizart, they just shared the cart on lexaloffle)

Cart #pico_boulder_dash-10 | 2020-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is under construction, hence it's posted under "work in progress".
However, the tutorial levels are already kind of playable.

Update 1
Now there are the first 6 levels of the classic boulder dash game included.

Update 2
I added a bunch of extra levels. Some of them a quite challenging.

Critical feedback is welcome!

-Made by Michael Karneim-

5 comments

Cart #frozax_tentsandtrees-1 | 2020-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Tents and Trees is a puzzle game with similarities to sudoku or minesweeper.
It's a special game for me because its success allowed me to go full-time indie game developer nearly 2 years ago.

Hope you'll like this PICO-8 version!

3 comments

Cart #tadanodoya-0 | 2020-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First Try by DMB

2 comments

First Try
Moving Heart
by DMB

1 comment

Cart #santa1080-4 | 2020-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[O] (z/c): Run / Fly
[X] (x/v): Jump
Left / Right: Turn while in mid-air

v3 update: [X] also accelerates to make mobile controls easier

This is intended to be mostly a toy rather than a game, but you can get points for doing tricks!

Front / back flips (more points for 2x, 3x)
Early Santa: Santa lands early
Sneaky Weasel: Back flip close to the ground
Moon Grazer: Jump High
Glider: Jump Long
Fishtail: Do a bunch of wavey turns in mid-air
Firebird: Dangle Santa like he's the pod from the videogame Thrust
Santa Smash: Santa lands upside down. Don't do that trick.

This game is my contribution to the 2020 PICO-8 Advent Calendar. The calendar always surprises me with its sheer variety and depth of joyful creations, and this year is no exception! I encourage you to have a rummage around inside the advent calendar for the Full Experience (here's the menu cartridge), but to whet your appetite, here is also a partial gif dump:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->