BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #madwizard-6 | 2021-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a port of The Mad Wizard, an NES game by indie game developer Rob Bryant, originally released in 2014. The original NES ROM is available free from the developer on his website https://slydogstudios.org/ under "The Candelabra Epic." It is a metroidvania style adventure and if you know where everything is, has a substantial 1.5 hrs of gameplay in it. (longer if you don't know where things are!)

The evil summoner Amondus from The Order of the Talon has taken over Prim, Hekl's once happy homeland. And nothing drives a wizard more crazy than having their territory trampled on! Can you help Hekl defeat the enemies that Amondus has populated throughout the landscape? To do so, you will need to master the art of levitation, find magic spells that will assist you in reaching new areas, and upgrade your weapons. All of these will be necessary in order to give Hekl the power he needs to restore peace to Prim. Do you have what it takes? If you dare, venture into this, the first installment of the Candelabra series!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #tweettweetjamsnake-0 | 2020-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple little snake clone for TweetTweetJam 5. Use the arrow keys to move!

I'm already well under the 560 character limit for the jam, but if anyone has ideas about how I could further compress this I'd love to hear! This is my first time ever making a tweetcart. I'm sure there's still a lot I could do to reduce the character count!

1 comment

Cart #subpix-0 | 2020-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I recently saw a post on twitter about "subpixel rendering," and I wanted to try my hand at a few functions! A couple of hours later... I now have this. I can't promise it's perfect, nor do I have all of the shapes I want to try, but I'll release it now if anyone is interested.
Feel free to suggest any other shapes as well as finding bugs/fixes!

2 comments

░░░░░▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄░░░░░
░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░█░░░
░░░█░░▄▄▄░░▄░░███░░█░░░
░░░▄█░▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄░█▄░░░
░░░█░░▀█▀█▀█▀█▀█▀░░█░░░
░░░▄██▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██▄░░░
░▄█░█▀▀█▀▀▀█▀▀▀█▀▀█░█▄░
▄▀░▄▄▀▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▀▄▄▀▄▄░▀▄
█░░░░▀▄░█▄░░░▄█░▄▀░░░░█
░▀▄▄░█░░█▄▄▄▄▄█░░█░▄▄▀░
░░░▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀░░░
░░░████████▀████████░░░
░░▄▄█▀▀▀▀█░░░█▀▀▀▀█▄▄░░

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #ti-4 | 2020-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is something I've been working on here and there for a while, but the jam was finally an excuse to finish it. It's a simple space invaders clone in a single tweet. There's no enemy fire or shields, but the invaders do speed up as you destroy more of them, and it's tricky to take the last few out.;)

Version 1.1 - new enemy wave begins when current wave is destroyed

2 comments

When running pico-8 on macOS, it spawns in a borderless windowed mode.
This makes it impossible to move the window around the screen, since there's no title bar to grab onto.
Entering fullscreen and then minimizing back down to windowed will cause the title bar to appear.

This affects the latest build (0.2.1b at time of posting) as well as several earlier builds.
It appears to be a regression - 0.1.9b and earlier will spawn with a title bar as expected.
I've observed this on macOS 10.14.6, I don't know if it affects more recent OS versions.

0.1.9b:

0.2.1b:

0.2.1b, after entering and leaving fullscreen mode:

1 comment

Cart #dangerousninja-0 | 2020-10-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls - D-pad to move. X or Z to jump (hold to roll).

I was introduced to Pico-8 in the summer by my friend and co-collaborator. I love making platformers so I decided that'd be a good way to learn and set about to make a simple runner. I spent about a week in July making the core game. You can see what it looked like then here...

Dangerous Ninja - Early Progress

A few weeks ago I decided to try and finalize a version and that led to an updated main character & some other new sprites as well as the addition of background parallax scrolling and a title screen.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I have upload the AORHOF Theme onto Youtube.
https://youtu.be/2E7FIgrg3s4

Music: A.O.R.H.O.F. Theme
Composer: RubyRed
Platform: Pico-8

(Like and Subscribe, or don't, it's optional)

0 comments

Cart #tweet_invaders-0 | 2020-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Most of Space Invaders in exactly 560 chars for TweetTweetJam 5.

0 comments

Hey, folks!

I want to build a GitHub Action to automatically export the cartridge as HTML and publish a GitHub Page.

I have two question around this:

1. Did someone already do this, or attempted to? Any clues for prior art would be appreciated.
  2. I'll need to have the pico8 binary published, but I don't know if I have permission to do that, and I assume I don't. Would it be ok to have a cyphered version that I'd decrypt during the build process with gpg or something?

Cheers!

0 comments

abababab eai oioi

0 comments

Cart #diwipeboju-0 | 2020-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My entry in #TweetTweetJam, in 554 characters.

Cross four levels of increasingly busy traffic, using only the up and down arrow keys!

This was my first time trying a minimal-code jam-- I read various forum tips but I'm sure there's still some compression to be had. Since the jam rules were to use source code only, no spritesheet/map/sfx data, I had the idea of Poke-ing a basic sprite into memory and then using sspr() and palt() to reuse it in different forms... and a little game evolved from that.

3 comments

Cart #jumpking-4 | 2020-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my pico version of the famous Jump King game that has been release in 2019.

You can get it here if you like the concept https://store.steampowered.com/app/1061090/Jump_King/

-Controls-

You just need to press x and release to jump, the longer you press the higher you go

and you can control your jump with the arrow keys.

-Credits-

Idea from Nexile, Ukiyo Publishing Limited

Lucas Dara Blondin

12 comments

Cart #zebozanone-0 | 2020-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first attempt at a shmup type game. Fairly basic with 3 enemy and weapon types in addition to bombs and life drops.

The code is a mess. I might go through and refactor it one day, but I'm mostly just happy to be done =)

2 comments

Cart #evalbug-0 | 2020-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi @zep,

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I seem to have stumbled on a weird bug.

It seems that inside an FOR..LOOP (potentially other places too),
if the incrementor is something other than 1 or 0.5 (such as 0.4),
then even though PRINT is "saying" the value is 1.4, it is not comparable with that value
(perhaps a precision/rounding happening in PRINT?)

Code below:

cls()

?"-- works -----"
for z=0,3,.5 do
	print(z)
	if(z==1.5) print("😐")
end

?"-- fails -----"
for z=0,3,.4 do
	print(z)
	if(z==1.6) print("😐")  --<<<< NEVER hits this 
end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #loca_conda-1 | 2020-11-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by a game on Amstrad CPC this is my attempt make a game in the snake category. This is my first ever pico8 game.

15 Levels
2 Types of enemy, CPU controlled snakes and the vicious seeker.
3 Types of bonus
S to make your snake short
L to gain a new life
Ghost gain one new life every three levels.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoyed playing the original.

Level music by @SmellyFishstiks

Update v1.1
Minor update to allow input buffering as suggested.

6 comments

This is a work-in-progress. You can run around and collide with objects. There is an enemy with which collision is detected however the enemy does not move. More to come in the future.

1 comment

Cart #reference-0 | 2020-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Quick and simple suite demonstrating API references from the pico-8 fandom site.

The default setup (in the editor) displays many preconfigured examples.

As a bonus, the output is a neat & tidy guidelined file folder diskette design.

There's some magic numbers and kinks that need to be ironed out but here it is.

Intended to be used as a fast barebones engine or just a learning example kit.

examples from the fandom wikia demonstrated for general purpose

0 comments

3D texture mapping with tline (plus some other stuff, like wireframe rendering, and solid color polygon rendering). Did this as a learning project, to study old-school pre-GPU 3D graphics.

Thanks to freds72 and johanp for inspiration & example code.

Cart #texture_map-0 | 2020-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

References if you want to learn.
http://www.multi.fi/~mbc/sources/fatmap2.txt
https://chrishecker.com/miscellaneous_technical_articles#perspective_texture_mapping
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/courses/graphics/pdf-color/14-raster.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/digital_differential_analyzer_(graphics_algorithm)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/selection_sort
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sutherland%e2%80%93hodgman_algorithm

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #swirltris-0 | 2020-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->