BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #minesofmovania-6 | 2020-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dive deep into the Mines of Movania and harvest its otherworldly gems and jewels. A track-laying puzzle game for Pico-8 using the mouse!

Controls: Left mouse button to click (hold) and drag track pieces. Don't let your carts derail or crash into one another! But do deliver each gem to its destination to advance deeper into the Mines of Movania!

Made for the 47th ludum dare jam ( https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/47/mines-of-movania ) and had a blast, first jam for me don't have a lot of gamedev experience, also first Pico-8 game. Not super comprehensive since it is made within 48h, but hopefully still worth playing. :) Feedback welcome!

0 comments

Cart #soulbound-8 | 2020-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

ludumdare page : https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/47/soulbound

--- STORY ---
The HilFord Brothers are famous archeologists : Clarence is a successfull businessman and he raises founds for his big brother's expeditions.
You're playing as Wellington Hilford and you must find the legendary soul gem, known for giving to his owner the potential to bend space.

--- CONTROL ---
(z/c) : jump
(x/v) : attack/talk/read/take
(left/right) : move around
(down) : drop object ( you can't attack or walljump while you hold an item )

--- GOALS ---

• Open the entrance of the temple.
  • Find the treasure rooom.
  • Take the gem.
  • Leave the temple.
  • Give the gem to Clarence Hillford.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

32 comments

Cart #jugidamaya-0 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my submission to LD47. I'll add more to this later. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

The game had absolutely no balancing prior to submission (I was ten minutes away from the deadline and had yet to implement enemy projectile collision) so if things are horribly broken, there is a boss skip:

hold up, x and z

0 comments

Cart #domain_of_the_time_wizard-0 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

That dang Time Wizard trapped you in his dungeon and has made it so time has become a loop! Luckily you know that 3 Orbs hidden in the catacombs can seal him away

"Just look for the walls that don't quite fit in"

Whatever that means...

(yes there is an ending, just a little hard to get)

0 comments

Cart #pico_arena-0 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi everyone,

Just created my first ever pico-8 game for the Ludum Dare 47 compo game jam. Would love to receive feedback. I tried to keep it simple so I could learn a lot.

Been loving the Pico-8 these last few days. Hope to contribute more to this community as time goes on!

2 comments

Cart #sss-0 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a simple program that picks a random sprite, displays it, moves, and then repeats. This is my first Pico-8 program and doesn't do much but is a decent screensaver in a pinch. If you're wondering where those sprites came from, it was my interpretation of sitelen pona, one of the writing systems of Toki Pona. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up!

4 comments

Cart #fluidsim-0 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple fluidsimulation, based on ink in water.

Add ink to the water and see how different colors react together.
Use forces to add some flow to the water.
Extra gravity mode where ink sinks to the bottom.

Controls:
Left mousebutton: add ink in selected color
Right mousebutton: add forces to the water
Mousewheel: scroll to select a color
X button: enable/disable gravity

1 comment

Cart #dinosaur_attack-7 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little WIP of a LD 47 game.

2 comments

Cart #swingin_woods-0 | 2020-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello again!

Josiah and The Singin' Woods is a relaxing rhythm game.

Press the correct button when it's in the center of the "strike zone" line on the left.

(note: the default for the red "O" buttons is "Z" on your keyboard)

Don't miss the flashing buttons or you'll lose a life!

The game gets a little harder if you're doing well, and goes easy on you if you miss a few notes. The stars in the top right show your current difficulty.

Show me your highest score!

20 comments

Hi everyone, I'm curious about how do you keep the track of changes made into the code, given the fact that the code, and assets are keept only in cartridges. Do you use any external tool/script to code with git and then import it into a cartridge?

3 comments

Cart #wehneh-0 | 2020-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #city8-0 | 2020-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

City-8

Description:

An 8-bit City Building Simulator based off Sim City 2000 made in Pico-8.

Controls:

Arrow Keys: Move Cursor

Press C to pick menu options + place buildings

Press V to open/close the building menu

How to play:

In City-8 there are many factors to keeping your city healthy and happy:

Cash: Earned through a tax on the population
Population/Housing: The number of people is limited by the number of houses
Happiness: Keep employment with shops and factories and health high with hospitals/ traffic low with roads

1 comment

Cart #falling_angel-4 | 2020-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been trying to make a game where you fall down a shaft and procedural generated obstacles are in the way that you have to jump and move around, but I'm pretty new to pico 8 and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some tips on how I could go about doing that.

7 comments

Cart #scrap_boy-6 | 2021-11-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the new version of Scrap Boy, with different mechanics from the jam version.

Featuring 3 levels, 6 weapons, 3 difficulties, collectibles and a time attack mode!

(you can swap X and O in the pause menu if needed)

25 comments

I saw a cool post on reddit showing off a handheld pico 8 player using a raspberry pi zero and a tft 1.3" bonnet from adafruit. The bonnet had both input and a tiny screen, and connects with the raspberry pi via pins.

But i also really liked the idea of being able to play games with Friends, so i was thinking if it would be possible to link 2 raspberry pi's, either via bluetooth or wifi or cable. Where the one RPI (raspberry pi) would be in normal mode and be playing pico 8, while the other would be in a "mirroring mode", via the connection it would mirror the display of the 1st RPI, and would send inputs to the 1st RPI (but as player 2)

However i am unsure how to approach this project, and would like some insight and or CC

0 comments

Cart #simpleformer-0 | 2020-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A short platformer I made to learn Lua and PICO-8!

0 comments

Cart #kakafowuyi-0 | 2020-10-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Testing if I can make a parallax effect with infinite scrolling

Right arrow to move while held down; Left arrow to move one frame.

Feel free to use the code as you with :)

0 comments

Cart #terrain_generation_no_noise-1 | 2020-10-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After many months of trying and failing to understand how to implement noise (Perlin or otherwise), I decided to simply try to write terrain generation for myself. Using the basics of noise, I began with a completely random map of numbers which I then iterate through. Each individual number takes the average of those around it. Repeating this a few times gives a relatively terrain-like map. I then simply changed numbers into number 1-16 so they would match Pico's color scheme and assigned certain numbers colors to make it look like mountains and grass.

The main function giving the rounded feel is named Noise(). The second value is roughly equivalent to octaves in Perlin noise (I named it "times"). By increasing or decreasing the number, you end up with a less or more noisy image.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #fruitrsi1-0 | 2020-10-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #cardhanddemo-0 | 2020-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a demo on how to display the cards in a player's hand. Hope you find this useful!

--the amount of room for the cards to be in
hand_width = 96

--the size of the room in pixels
room_width = 128

--number of cards on screen
card_num = 0

--the width of the card in pixels
card_width = 12

--how many cards until they compress
card_fit_num = flr(hand_width/card_width)

function _update()

--update card_num
	if btnp(❎) then
		card_num += 1
	end
	if btnp(🅾️) and card_num > 0 then
		card_num -= 1
	end
	--update hand_width
	if btn(⬆️) then
		hand_width += 1
	end
	if btn(⬇️) and hand_width > 12 then
		hand_width -= 1
	end
	card_fit_num = flr(hand_width/card_width)

end

function _draw()

--draw stuff
	cls(1)
	print("card num:"..card_num,43,50,6)
	print("x to add card",37,58)
	print("c to retract card",29,64)
	print("⬆️⬇️ to change hand size",15,70)

line(room_width/2-hand_width/2-2,98,room_width/2-hand_width/2-2,117)
	line(room_width/2-hand_width/2+hand_width+1,98,room_width/2-hand_width/2+hand_width+1,117)
	line(room_width/2-hand_width/2-2,98,room_width/2-hand_width/2+hand_width+1,98)
	line(room_width/2-hand_width/2-2,117,room_width/2-hand_width/2+hand_width+1,117)

--where the magic happens
	if card_num > card_fit_num then
		for i=0,card_num-1 do
			spr(1,(room_width/2-hand_width/2)+(hand_width-card_width)*(i/(card_num-1)),100,2,2)
		end
	else
		for i=0,card_num-1 do
			spr(1,(room_width/2-hand_width/2)+hand_width/2-(card_width*(card_num/2))+(i*card_width),100,2,2)
		end
	end

end
0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->