BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

assert, ipairs, and next appear to exist as in stock Lua, but the manual doesn't mention them (outside of the changelog). It does mention every other supported Lua built-in, so this omission makes it harder to gauge what exactly is still exposed (especially without access to _G). Especially odd since the coroutine documentation mentions wrapping coresume inside assert.

Also, the select builtin is documented (indirectly, under Function Arguments), but doesn't seem to exist! At least not in 0.2.0h.

2 comments

I looked back when i purchased PICO-8 and i am surprised that i had it since Christmas 2015, and it has been quite 4.7 years since i had it around just to play a lot of games. Having it see evolve i was impressed for it to have reached a stage where it improved the interface (and specially the music interface which included sound effect instruments.). The music back when it was released wasn't too awesome as it sounded but now it seemed like the possibilies are enhanced.

By the way, doesn't PICO-8 have plans to expand their system capabilities to include new major features such as proper sampling, more music channels, etc. (likely inspired from the NES' japanese expansion chips which contained extra audio channels, a popular example being the VRC6 which included two pulse channels with a larger set of squares and a Sawtooth channel) even if actually they might be impossible. Probably since we've come to this point there's hardly anything i can think that would be needed, but Pico-8 is quite on the right track and ready to have something amazing done on it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I have always wanted to get into programming, at least to some extent, but never really got into it. It always felt so daunting, and I didn't think I had a "programmer's mind". That is, until recently, when my brother showed me PICO-8 and I was sold. I grew up in the 80s/90s, so the aesthetics and concept of PICO-8 obviously appealed a lot to me! It kind of felt less scary to dive into this.

I've also always been fascinated by the demoscene and the amazing demos that have been made throughout the years. The tweetcarts of recent times are also incredible.

Anyways, this thread is intended to sort of be a personal PICO-diary of sorts, where i intend to post my (very) basic concepts and ideas as I learn to crawl. I am very much a newbie at this, so don't expect crazy things. It's going to be messy :D

Cheers

19 comments

just copy of Celeste (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145) where buttons for UP and DOWN are switched.
just for the purpose of playing on iPad with Xbox One controller, where the buttons are switched natively (don't know why, this is easiest workaround i can think)

Cart #kfndate-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Hello. I got Pico-8 back several years ago when it was pretty trend and i enjoyed the vast amount of content the community created. I got it back when i was on the first stages of programming in GameMaker: Studio (until however i stopped after not being able to easily think deeper on what to do.) I am also an addictive video game music fan whom actually has been continously listening to them for a bunch of years before GameMaker.
However, since i can't get the hang on the programming side of Pico-8 i messed around on the sound interface. I had tracker music experience back when i used FamiTracker, so it was easy for me to interact with the tracker interface, however, the Pico-8 tracker was something, it was so limited i can't easily make dope instrumentation with it. All i did was just a bunch of incomplete covers that sounded quite lame to me, but it was a likeable experience.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #web-1 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My second ever cart. A result of me messing around with rotating objects.
Cart #web2-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A version that's collapsing in on itself.
Cart #blackhole-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #sinisterworm-0 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I'm super new to PICO-8 and coding in general, but I accidentally created a very sinister looking worm, so here you go.

EDIT: I made a snake version.

Cart #sinistersnake-0 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #munro_tweetcarts-5 | 2020-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

All my tweetcarts in one cart, accessible from a unified menu. Will update as I create more.

Menu Controls:

• Up and down to navigate menu
  • X/Z to hide the menu
  • To show the menu do any of the following:
    • Press Tab
    • Enter and select Reset Cart
    • Ctrl-R for quick reset.

What is a Tweetcart?

Tweetcarts are Pico-8 programs written in 280 chars or less (the size of a tweet!).

For example, Eclipse is just this code snippet:

circfill(63,63,10,0)pal({129,1,130,2,136,8},1)::_::circ(63,63,10,7)x,y=rnd(128),rnd(128)a=atan2(x-63,y-63)c=pget(x,y)if c!=0then
c=rnd()>.9and c-1or c
pset(x+cos(a),y+sin(a),c)end
goto _

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #dungeon_witches_minimal-0 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi, I'm doc1oo. I have just uploaded the cartridge for the first time! :)

Two weeks ago, I completed my Rogue Lite game "Dungeon Witches" and started distributing it on itch.io.
I've always wanted to post a cartridge to the Cartverse, but it was far beyond the capacity of one cartridge on the pico-8, so I couldn't just upload it.

So, today I made the super minimum version from completed version!
The story demos, all of texts, helpful features and tutorials, and directing are all left out, but data of graphics, sounds, maps, and core of the game is same. Perhaps you will get the experience of confusion that like a naked second-hand NES game without manual.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Current Development

I'm building a relationship between NPCs and area map connections.
These are mainly for the latter 8 areas.
(The "keys" that NPCs have might be easier to understand.)

This game has a combined total of 16 areas.
There are also useful items that will help you move through such a large world.
These items can be found at the end of the first half of the game.

Then, the image below shows the map of the first half of the game.

Reduced map for 8 areas

Most of the maps are over 128*128 cell size.
The aspect ratio varies from area to area and the structure is challenging to explore.
Once you get your "KUWAI", use it! You can look around the entire area.

Actual map display

An animated tile is provided in each area.
These tiles bring about the effect of the wind.
You can use "PERSNIP" to change the wind (flow).

Awaking bells

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bobumayuto-1 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[SHOCKING] Local Man Uses Obscure Meme To Test Raycaster

3 comments

Cart #picogolf-2 | 2020-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

• stat tracking
  • speedrun mode

picogolf (currently) contains a single 9 hole course featuring a range of par 3, 4 and 5 holes. There are no settings, nothing gets saved, if you wanna play again, just reload the page.

It actually started out as a simple breakout clone... I'm not really sure what happened but here we are, I've had a great time working on it and I'm quite pleased with myself for actually finishing something for once.

Cheers
-Chris

Controls

while aiming...

left and right to aim
hold up to zoom out
press down to cycle through clubs
press X to cycle view modes between close up aim, distant aim, whole course and pin

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Pico-8 occasionally seems to forget to select a new line if you've copied something and then create a new tab. Because there is no line selected, pasting seems to crash it

Most of the time a new line is selected after creating and switching to a tab, but occasionally it doesn't. I was able to reproduce although unsure if there's another step (may have to do with switch tabs or alt tabbing).

2 comments

Cart #cubg_dungeon-5 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

An endless dungeon crawler made for LOWREZJAM 2020.

Also available on itch.io

Find the exit to move to the next floor. The dungeons will get larger as you complete floors. Walk into an enemy to attack it. They can also attack you if you go into the space they are moving into. Pots can be broken by walking into them. They can have gold, sneks, bombs, spike traps, or a life up in them.

After each floor a shop will open where you can buy items:

• Life Ups will heal you.
  • Damage Ups make your attacks stronger.
  • Escape Ropes return you to the entrance of the floor you are on if you die. You can only carry one at a time.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #horde-1 | 2022-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HORDE

a survival deckbuilding game

This game was made for the 8-Bits to Infinity "turn based" game jam and is my first completed pico8 game.

The world as you know has changed. The zombie apocalypse has begun. Will you survive?

This is a solo deck building game. The cards you are dealt won't get you very far. Use the survivors to scavenge for weapons, items, and find other survivors in hopes of fending off the impending zombie horde. You have 20 turns to accumulate as much firepower and support as you can.

Play Action cards to gain an advantage, Survivor cards to scavenge better cards, and Weapon cards to attack the zombie horde.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #virus_attack-2 | 2020-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for LowRezJam 2020

1 comment

Cart #cliffside-0 | 2020-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A level mod for Celeste.
Contains 30 new levels and more!

19 comments

Cart #siege_of_darkwood-9 | 2020-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my remake of a long forgotten 68k Mac shareware game of the same name, originally created by Robert Chancellor. I've updated the rules from AD&D to D&D5e and added some extra items.

Aim

You play as Derek Silverhand and are tasked with protecting Darkwood from Torque's approaching hordes.
Survive 10 waves of enemies to win the game!
Darkwood will fall if Derek falls in combat or the advancing hordes destroy the castle!

How to Play

Prepare yourself

Buy equipment like swords and armour from the 4 item shops.

Enter the battlefield

Enter the battlefield and engage with your target

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Hi, i'm using here a qwertz keyboard.

The problem with this layout is that the buttons on the bottom left side do not match.

Where the US/UK keyboard layouts have the z, is here an y.

So the actual layout here, is yxcvbn.

I know that c and v are the same as z and x, but it is very uncomfortable to do so.
Especially when playing on the executable, and then trying out the web version.

Can you change or add a setting to the Web Player, so that it respects the keyboard layout of the machine ?

The standalone (exe) version of pico 8 works perfectly, but some carts are web versions only.

0 comments

Cart #watertechdemo-0 | 2020-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello!

I thought I would upload this tech demo I've been working on. It is based on the 'Kingdom' series. I am going to hopefully build a game around it but it might take some time. Hope you enjoy!

Use arrow keys to move.

8 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->