BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #ghoulsatemyclassmates-0 | 2020-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello!
just started with pico8, and played around with it.. this is (at the moment) just something to get used to the API. There's a function in there, that might be interesting for some of you, though. It prints a string with different colors per scanline.

function _draw()
 cls()
 cprint("colored text",nil,20, {7,11,3})
 cprint("pass nil for x to center",nil,30, {12,6,13})

cprint("press ❎ to start",nil,80,{9,10,9})
end

function cprint(txt,x,y,cols)
 local len,org=#txt*4+4,clip() 
 local a
 x=x and x or 64-len/2
 for a=1,3 do
  print(txt,x,y,cols[a])	
  clip(x,y+a*2,len,2)
 end
 clip(org)
end

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=78976#p)
0 comments

Holding Shift or S to select several sprites only seems to properly select them all when one starts on the top left sprite they are selecting.

While actions such as copying, flipping, and moving work properly when selecting from the top left, it appears that when starting at a different corner it instead treats the selection as if only the initial tile was selected instead. This creates particularly odd effects when at levels of zoom besides 1x:

0 comments

Noticed some presumably unintended odd behavior in the sprite editor:

It seems that any time the selected region is flipped while not over its initial position, pixels are changed underneath it. Using version 0.2.1b on a Mac.

Edit: I will note that something like this seems like it could actually be somewhat useful behavior, as it lets one duplicate an already selected area within a sprite without having to copy and deselect it, but it's pretty odd right now. For example:

Noticed another oddity with moving selected regions while testing this: if one has copied a group of pixels, then selecting a region, pasting with CTRL-V, and moving the selected region will cause the pasted pixels to disappear.

The map editor also appears to be having some similar issues:

0 comments

Cart #pongtest-0 | 2020-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #zusonukofi-0 | 2020-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello there this is my first project in Pico-8. I always thought it would be fun to attempt to make a simple calculator for myself. the '=' button performs clear screen operations for now though maybe I can update it later with a proper dedicated button. anyway I hope you all like my little project!

3 comments

I was testing out various PICO-8 cartridges in the new version, including my own Rain Gif cart, and I discovered that when I chose the built-in "Save Gif" option, it would report that a GIF was saved to the desktop:

...but no file would appear.

On further testing, I discovered that on manually saving an image, it throws an error:

I'm not sure why this would happen - I've already checked whitelisting PICO-8 in my virus checker and that changes nothing. (And besides, I can save files and use the audio exporter just fine.) I'm running Windows 7 (yes, I know...) and installed PICO-8 yesterday using the installer download.

14 comments

I'm loving PICO-8 with one exception: I'm not crazy about Lua. I've read the Lua documentation for OOP, but the table thing is so different and I can't find examples for what I'm trying to do.

I'm almost finished something I'm working on, but the larger the program gets the more I miss being able to separate the logic into objects (the way I'm used to anyway).

Long story short, I wanted to do the following:

Entity Class:

• x, y, width, height, speed, etc
  • function update()
  • function draw()

Player Class(that inherits from the entity class):

• score, weapon, power, etc
  • function update(overrides but calls super function from entity)
  • function draw(same)

Enemy Class(that inherits from the entity class):

• extra variables
  • overridden functions calling super functions Entity class

SpecialEnemy Class(that inherits from Enemy/and then from Entity obviously)

• extra variables
  • overridden functions calling super functions from Enemy class

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

In my qsort() thread:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38679

If you click the "Code" button on the embedded cart and scroll down to qsort() or iqsort(), you'll see a line near the top of each function that says, if l then, but the line inside the cart is actually if l<r then, so if anyone grabs the code for the function, they get a corrupted version of it.

I'm guessing this, and possibly other, reserved HTML elements are not being escaped properly...?

1 comment

Cart #necromancers_tower-2 | 2020-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Alright so, the earlier "draft" of this game was pretty bland. I decided to go ahead and just do the game I had originally intended, before I chickened out. Now, you play as the necro-janitor, and it is your job to incinerate the excess undead created by the Necromancers' Guild.

It isn't done (I want to integrate two more enemy types, some items, and use vector shapes for the flames) but it's in a good place to show others now.

let me know what you think!

6 comments

This is perhaps a bit off topic, or maybe not.

I just deployed a rough, first version of an online pixelart drawing app: https://pixla.nu/?ps=DyIAIQESCSIBIIICIRILIoEgAg8iACENIgACNiIBAAACCyIAIAF3AHALIgAHAncAAgoihAcAcAcCCiKEBwBwBwIKIgAHAncAAgoihAdwAHcCCiKDIHAAcAsigyB4gHALIgAHAXcAcAUiBBEAEAJ3AHALEQIAAAF_EUUR

It's meant to be limited in features, a little bit like pico-8 actually. The canvas size is fixed to 32x32, and the palette is fixed to the (original) pico-8 palette. Left button draws, right button picks up the color under the mouse.

Perhaps the most special thing is that the pixels are saved in the URL, so the images can be saved by simply bookmarking the page. The links are also easily shared on social media, and the preview includes the image.

If it's not clear from the screenshot, I can't draw. So I hope some people with some pixel art skills will find the tool fun and useful. Please try it out, and let me know of any problems or feature requests you might have!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Bolygone Explorer

Cart #bolygoneexplorer-0 | 2020-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Doc

Comments

Learning Pico8 here is my first cardridge.

Idea comes from an old book about computer & graphics : Graphisme Scientifique sur Micro Ordinateur by Robert DONY (1986)

0 comments

Hi all,

In preparation for an upcoming game jam, I've quickly recreated Cannonhead Clash, an Atari 2600 homebrew game that I first published almost a year ago. This version has quite a bit missing (no menus, no AI opponent, etc) but I hope you enjoy it regardless.

This game is a two player game where you try to hit the opponent with one of your bombs. By holding down either button, you charge your shot- the longer the charge, the further the bomb goes. Your bombs can destroy terrain, too, so keep that in mind!

Cart #yenatmusi-1 | 2020-07-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

If you'd like to see the original 2600 version you can find it here.

Changelog:
Version 2.0:

• Added title screen

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #palmixwave01-1 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Palmix Wave Ver0.1

Invaders from the Pamix system are attacking the Earth! Clear the menace aboard the Space Fighter!

Palmix Wave is a vertical shmup with a set play time of 2 minutes (A la caravan game mode). In the game you will encounter many types of enemies included a miniboss and a final boss. You will also find powerups that will make the space ship faster and shoot more bullets. These powerups will also give you a brief invencibility time.

This is also like my formally first try (like no sfx or music) of a completed game in Pico8. I began with a shmup tutorial but in midway I wanted to try the ECS game programming pattern. With a quick search this ECS Pico8 ECS engine came up https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=30039. After a few tries I finally got the pattern and I liked it very much (code is not that pretty). Hope you like it!

2 comments

A while back I posted an implementation of an in-place dual-pivot quicksort, which is the default sort algorithm most standard libraries offer these days. I've since tweaked it a bit to save a few tokens, and today I wrote up a sample cart that does some primitive testing as an example of usage.

This includes both a general 221-token qsort(), which can accept a custom comparator function (defaults to a less-than comparator for ascending order), and a tweaked 199-token iqsort(), which inlines the comparisons as simple "<" operators, producing a smaller and faster sort in return for the sort order and index not being customizable.

See tab 0's header comment for more details.

(Side note: I realized while implementing comparators that you could sneak in shuffle functionality just by sorting with a random coin-flip comparator. Handy.)

Edit: WARNING! Do NOT grab the function from the "Code" flyout on the embedded cart below! There is a bug on the BBS right now that deletes a "<" comparison! Click the "Cart" button to download the .p8.png version!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #axnjaxn_ajml-2 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I couldn't resist making a cursed PICO-8 cart after someone sent me the What's Your Alex Jones Conspiracy Theory post on reddit by /u/dreggmuffin.

Given the subject matter "mad libs" is almost a double entendre.

(Press z/O button or x/X button to get a new conspiracy theory that you'll use to exploit the patriotism of your listeners!)

2 comments

Cart #pullfrog-3 | 2020-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play on Itch

Cactus blocks are falling for some reason. You, a little frog named frog, have to jump and dodge out of their way. Set them up in lines in order to clear them off of your land.

-Pull them with your tongue while they're green and falling.

-Turn them into dust once they're dry, yellow, and set on the ground.

Just be careful using that tongue of yours. Getting squished is easier than you think.

-Raise your acrobatics game by upgrading your jump height and tongue length every time you clear 3 lines.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

25 comments

On 0.2.1, trying to INSTALL_GAMES with 0.2.1 gives me this error.

INSTALL_DEMOS seems to work fine, though.

Might this be connected to the 0.2.1 release notes saying:
"Fixed: Crash when INSTALL_GAMES / INSTALL_DEMOS without a writeable disk"?

Platform: macOS Catalina, 10.15.5

1 comment

I'm working on a big project for PICO8.

Around the end of 2018, I learned about the scalability of multi-carting and continued to research and create it to this day.

We were able to give each of the four carts a role, rather than just being a data bank .

Cart 1: Title/Ending/3D dungeon scene
Cart 2: Platformer Scene
Cart 3: Cooking Scene
Cart 4: World Map Scene/Important Item Riddle Solving Operation

Because of these many factors, an hour or more of play is a must.
Data saves are automatic.
(Position when resume, growth and LIFE, possessions, time, status of NPCs helped, farmland, important items, veggies, history of veggies removed, history of enemies removed, and other things for cart-to-cart interaction).

Most of the game system is complete. I'm currently assembling the map for the later areas.

If anyone is planning an original, reasonably large game, PICO8 will be used as a prototype. It looks like they will progress the production and do the actual product in another game engine. I've seen some of those opinions. (Not my project.)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hey, I decided to make a batch script to automate compiling PICO-8 cartridges into .p8.png, binary, and HTML. Instructions are in the batch file and there's an example using Celeste included.

https://gist.github.com/FayneAldan/2ded1a13af0e2676ec259a12a702ae96

0 comments

Cart #danewumubu-0 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As of 0.2.1, mouse handling does not seem to work in HTML exports, though touch controls (and emulated touch controls with chrome dev tools) seem to be working.. It's fine in pico-8 and bin exports though, and in the BBS.

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->