BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

It's not critical since its only real use is in debugging, but I think tostr(f, true) should probably emit hex addresses with standard PICO-8 uppercase hex digits, not smallcaps:

3 comments

Cart #d16solais-0 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My entry for LD46 (Compo)! Created in 48 hours from scratch, mostly as an excuse to mess about with tline and the new pico8 version!

Delve into some ancient ruins following a mysterious voice, but watch out for the encroaching darkness! Keep your torch lit via passing flames and reaching checkpoints as you descend deeper. Avoid spikes, watch out for dowsing waterfalls, master difficult platforming and discover the ancient secret within!

Fairly tricky platforming, so congratulations if you manage to reach the end! Your time will be displayed on completion too if y'fancy speedrunning it!

Controls:

• Arrow keys: Movement
  • Z: Jump, Start game

[ Continue Reading.. ]

19 comments

I was tinkering with the custom key repeat settings in 0x5f5c and 0x5f5d and I realized that they always seem to be expressed in 30ths of a second. Shouldn't this depend on whether or not the game has _update60(), or for games with custom loops, whether or not they've called _set_fps(60)?

I guess it's not a critical problem if it stays this way, it just seems like it ought to track the fps setting.

1 comment

Cart #tline_rotation_demo-0 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was excited by the new tline function in 0.2.0, immediately tried to plug it into my project and ran into problems.

I made this demo to break down rotating the map to a fairly minimal program. I've added comments to explain the different data points and what they achieve when plugged into tline.

The demo shows a rotated 2D view into the map.

Left and right keys move the view. X toggles the unrotated map to show the direction of the rotated view relative to the map.

I hope this is useful to you! :)

1 comment

Hey @zep, me again. ;)

I looked through the rather comprehensive list at https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Bitwise_operations and couldn't spot anyone at all who had an operator for rotation, let alone find some kind of standard for it. Most languages use either a function or a textual operator (e.g. a ror b), but those end up making your expressions a lot larger and/or filled with whitespace.

WE COULD BE THE ONES TO SET THE STANDARD! :D

I'll just propose a few ideas. Note that I bring the "|" operator into some of them because normally people have to do rotates by or'ing together two shifted values.

rotl         rotr
----------   ----------
 a <<<< b     a >>>> b
  a <<> b     a <>> b    -- I like these best, personally
  a >|> b     a <|< b
  a |>> b     a <<| b
  a >>| b     a |<< b

I like <<> and <>> because they imply that part of the shift wraps back around. I also find them aesthetically pleasing.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #carttwo-2 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is just a test.
Please run it to see if Cart Two will load Cart 1.
This is a test for another game I am working on.

Code

--cart two and cart 1
--by candycolt games

function _draw()
	cls()
	map(0,0)
	print("loading cart 1...",54,44,7)
end

function _update()
	if time()>2.5 then
		load"#cart 1-2"
	end
end

Cart 1 is at: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=37447

Conclusion

Test 1

Okay, This did not work apparently. If you know how to load a cart in another cart please comment it below. Thanks!

Test 2:

IT WORKS!!!!!!

0 comments

Cart #cart1-3 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is just a test.
Please run it to see if Cart 1 will load Cart Two.
This is a test for another game I am working on.

Code

--cart 1 and cart two
--by candycolt games

function _draw()
	cls()
	map(0,0)
	print("loading cart two...",54,44,7)
end

function _update()
	if time()>2.5 then
		load"#cart two-2"
	end
end

Cart Two is at https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=37448

Conclusion

Test 1:

Okay, This did not work apparently. If you know how to load a cart in another cart please comment it below. Thanks!

Test 2:

IT WORKS!!!!!!

5 comments

Cart #pcc_ld46_medusa-1 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First playable version of my LD46 entry, titled "Medusa"

Defend Medusa the tentacle monster from the enemies.

2 comments

0 comments

Cart #sugar-3 | 2020-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

here is a game about a sugarglider where you have to collect coins and avoid spikes
you have to glide using the left and right arrow and you can catch coins
when you reach super speed you can crush the spikes

(edit made on 21-6-2020)

3 comments

Cart #toyikojozi-0 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Amabie is a Japanese yokai that is half human and half fish. It is said to appear from the sea in a shining form and make predictions of a good harvest and plagues.

I also drew Amabie with PICO -8, I hope covid -19 will fit quickly.

Unfortunately, there is no sound.

0 comments

Keep your flower alive and the weeds away.

Cart #yosikozuro-0 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hit a strange bug tonight in trying to compare some values.
Ultimately, I was being told that 0 != 0 (apparently).
In digging in further, I can reproduce the problem in one line.

> print(8.5333-3.7667-4.7667)

I understand that there can be rounding issues, but -0 is not such a useful return value I think.

Edit: Another strange occurrence
I'm doing time profiling on functions in my code. Call time() at the beginning and end of a test and subtract the results.

In the test, I received 37.4667 - 35.6333 = 1.8333

but if I just ask Pico-8 to compute that in the console I get the proper 1.8334

7 comments

DEL key doesn't work when the cursor in on the first row of the tracker. This is in both the SFX editor and the pattern editor.

0 comments

I was going through my old posts, gleefully marking bug after bug "resolved" (THANKS ZEP!:D), and ran across one I hadn't actually posted in the support section.

I know the chat section sees a lot of traffic and moves quickly, so I'm worried it was never seen, and I want to try posting it again in the right section, in hopes of seeing it added to 0.2.0 or a later version:

@zep

I'm trying to write a tool that has text editing, and I find that the devkit keyboard doesn't return a lot of the special keys that it easily could.

You're returning a string, so there's no reason why it has to be just one character. So pressing the Home key could simply return the string "home". No need for special characters, escape sequences, etc., since these verbose names would all be distinct from any single regular typed character.

I'm mainly thinking of the standard navigation cluster: up, down, left, right, ins, del, home, end, pgup, pgdn, but I'm sure there are others.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

tline() seems to behave differently than line(), and the default delta seems to not work. It seems that the ending y coordinate is off by one pixel, but I'm not sure if there's more wrong than just that. I would expect line() and tline() to make the same line, though. On top of that, it seems that it's using 0,0 for the default delta instead of 1/8,0 like the manual specifies.

For example, with this tile at 0,0 on the map:
[0x0]

Running

tline(32,32,39,35,0,0)
 line(32,32,39,35,7)

Results in:
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

The new options menu with controls documentation is so great to have in the binary exports! :)

There just seems to be a small problem where it says there are "0 joysticks" even though I have one plugged in and it is working fine:

(this is in a exported binary player on Linux)

0 comments

I made a tiny plugin that lets Tiled load .p8 cartridges, edit the map section, and save them back without breaking the code or other sections. Works great for me, so I hope you may find it interesting!

Available on GitHub: https://github.com/samhocevar/tiled-pico8

Here is what it looks like with a dark theme and the grid color set to white:

Update 2021/02/20: The plugin was ported to JavaScript for compatibility with all OSes. Requires a preview version of Tiled (1.5.0) for now.

10 comments

Based on MECH.p8 demo.

Cart #wekahgaka-0 | 2020-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

On Windows, when launching a cart that uses #include, all included files get locked forever and cannot be deleted or modified by an external program unless PICO-8 is stopped. Even if another cart is loaded, the old files are still locked. This makes it really hard to work with source control because no file can be updated or merged while PICO-8 is running.

Edit: here is a screenshot of resmon.exe showing that pico8.exe acquires a new file descriptor on the same file each time I press Ctrl-R:

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->