BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Cart #picosnipe-0 | 2020-03-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Hello!
I'm trying to make an endless speedrunner game. I have it almost finished but I can't figure out what I should use for the jump power, speed, and gravity.
Mabey if you have made a speedrunner you could help me with this.

Thanks!

0 comments

Cart #nutsandbolts-0 | 2020-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #enter_the_goongeon-0 | 2020-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #tawupadasi-2 | 2020-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The first pico-8 game is coming back!

update:

-increase difficulty and change ufo moves! (29-03-2020)
-rewriten
-new graphics
-arcade attract mode
-intro
-better graphics
-random level background.

3 comments

Cart #fogigerifa-0 | 2020-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #ukasw_corona_intro-3 | 2020-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is another small intro (no game - sorry!) from ukasw.

1 comment

Cart #mrschickenzdozen-0 | 2020-03-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello this is a small game. Tried a few basic concepts. Glitches around randomization and collision detection.

0 comments

I have a tile object which contains the sprite number and other properties. I want to update different properties at different times, instead of passing all properties all the time.

First I tried this approach:

function update_tile(values)

tile = values

end

but of course that unsets anything that you don't pass in values

Then I settled on the following approach:

function update_tile(values)

for k,v in pairs(values) do
		tile[k] = v
	end

end

Am I correct that this is the right way to do it, or is there a better (code readability or less tokens) way to do this?

3 comments

Cart #pongap-3 | 2020-03-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #pongap-2 | 2020-03-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #pongap-1 | 2020-03-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #pongap-0 | 2020-03-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

EDIT: I just realized run already takes an argument to serve as the breadcrumb from another cart. So this isn't an option. Never mind, nothing to see here.

Presently, to load+run you literally have to load blahblah.p8 and then run.

Would it be a bother to run the "run" code through the same line parsing that handles "load", and then auto-run it afterward?

I ask because I was running a bunch of local carts from the command line and it was a tiny bother to have to do two steps each time.

...YES, I realize this is a very minor thing, but hey, why not mention it? The worst that happens is that it doesn't get implemented, right? XD

... uh... r—right...?

0 comments

Cart #multimarshmallow-1 | 2020-03-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Multi Marshmallow

Marshmallow Infinity with split-screen multiplayer.

=-=-=

New Version

The full version is now on the Marshmallow Infinity thread.

=-=-=

Press Z/O on up to 5 controllers to play with that many people. (4-5 might be a bit slow)

Collect coins to increase your score. The marshmallow with the most coins after everyone is burnt wins.
Blue coins will give you a coin or a life-up randomly.

Controls:

• Use the left and right arrow keys to move and Z to charge a jump.
  • Release Z when the marshmallow stops flashing to jump high.
  • Release Z while it is still flashing to do a small jump.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #fightcoronavirus-2 | 2020-03-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #ukasw_snackys_intro-0 | 2020-03-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my version of c64 crack intro from 1989 (https://csdb.dk/release/?id=53915).

0 comments

I keep getting the same syntax error when trying to run my game. I don't know if I'm missing something or not.
the code is:
if btn(x button) and p1.landed=true then
p1.y-p1.boost
p1.landed=false
p1.jumping=true
end

It kept giving me the error 'then' expected near '='

4 comments

With circfill(), it's easily possible to draw circles everywhere, and even draw a circle with another circle cut out of it. But how would you draw the intersection of two circles, like the middle section on a venn diagram? I can't think of an easy way to do it. What I'm really looking for here is a way to shade arbitrary segments on an arbitrary venn diagram. Can anybody help?

6 comments

@zep

If we type "x = -6", the "-6" part requires two tokens, which I assume is because the version of Lua you use was still internally treating negative literals as positive literals with a unary-minus operation applied to them, e.g. "x = unm(6)".

However, using a negative literal in PICO-8 appears to have the same cycle cost as using a positive literal, as far as I can tell with my benchmarks. For instance, "x = y / -6" costs the same as "x = y / 6".

So basically we're being charged a token for an operation that doesn't actually seem to occur, and really shouldn't need to occur anyway.

Would it be possible to delete the token cost for unary-minus if it's being applied to a literal?

The alternative is that people in dire token straits will write "x = y / 0xfffa", which is just gross. :P

2 comments

Temporarily without a mouse, I notice that pico-8 ignores certain inputs from windows's mouse keys thing, where you can use the numpad to control the cursor. The default click button is NUM5, which doesn't get through. the system also uses NUM0 and NUM. for hold and release, to simulate click'n'drag, and those work fine, so you can still (clumsily!) draw pixels/stages.

Just thought I'd mention it; I understand this isnt exactly a priority thing to fix :)) but could I request a keyboard shortcut to add a code tab? I can't seem to find one and it's really the only reason I'd want to click anything in the code view. thanks!

2 comments

Cart #graphplotter-2 | 2020-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Graph Plotter

Been working on this for a while! Hope you enjoy!

This is my first pico-8 project so I'm open to critical feedback!

Version 1.1:

-Removed polynomial setting to make way for big update ;)
-Added ability to "stamp" current graph and then calculate the intersection of the two graphs (i.e. solve the simultaneous equations)
-Bug fixes

2 comments

Hello!

I'll be doing some visual effects coding and streaming it tomorrow on Twitch. That's Tuesday, March 24, 18:00 EET. This will actually be the first time I'm doing a show on Twitch, so hopefully everything goes well :)

Here's the link. See you there!

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->