BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

bo
by dw817
Cart #bo-0 | 2020-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, in immediate mode type:

load #bo

BOMBER for the Apple ][ computer has always been one of my favorite quick-shot 6502-assembly machine-language games, and at 32k it was a marvel for what it did.

Using no BASIC code at all, neither Floating Point nor Integer and purely in machine-language it had a jet come from the right-hand side of the screen to soar to the left while a tank below plodded from left to right.

Your mission: to bomb the tank. But it wouldn't be easy. While the initial tank that appeared followed a fairly steady course, the ones to follow were tricky to hit as they sometimes even went in reverse.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #smal-0 | 2020-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a small thing I threw together but is fun to watch, enjoy. By Scrub

1 comment

Cart #bomber_nosnibor28-0 | 2020-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Submission for this week's Applecart. Thanks again, @dw817, for posting these challenges and including me in the fun! :-)

I didn't have as much time to work on this one as I did on Saucer Invasion, which is why this is still posted as WIP. Graphics are, well... let's just say they could use some work! Also, there's no sound yet.

BUT! You can press X or O (C or Z by default) to drop a bomb, and if it hits the tank you get a nice pretty particle explosion. I don't even have scorekeeping in there lol. The plane goes at a constant speed for the whole game. Each time a tank is spawned it gets a random speed and direction.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #caligo1-0 | 2020-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

CALIGO

mod of Celeste
by Matt Thorson
and Noel Berry

14 comments

Cart #drogue-0 | 2020-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Drogue (from "Dale's Rogue") is kind of an homage to old-school text-based rogue-likes. The main influences when working on it were LazyDev's amazing Porklike tutorial and one of my all time favorite games, Dungeon Craw Stone Soup. It features procedural generation of interconnected levels, monsters and treasure. The ultimate goal is a McGuffin in the rogue-like tradition: the mysterious Orb of Elad. The game is complete if a bit bare-bones; if you'd like to try using it as a framework for your own text-based rogue-like, go for it!

4 comments

I'm building an RPG and I'm using the in-cart map tool, but obviously I can't see or edit the whole map at once. had anybody built an external map viewer/exporter? I obviously love the charm of working inside the fantasy console, but for dev I'd like to see my whole world on one screen (not to mention include it as a handout for players maybe!)

4 comments

Cart #runirukika-0 | 2020-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all,

I made a mod of Skulldude by adding some new music. I wanted to go for something that was both pacy and menacing to match the feel of the game itself. Do you think I succeeded? Please give it a go and let me know what you think of my musical contribution to this excellent little game by guerragames.

Enjoy!

Inphanta

0 comments

Cart #pupafowani-1 | 2020-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #tentropy-0 | 2020-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

do YOU have what it takes to be random?

3 comments

Cart #zoyujobumi-2 | 2020-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone :)
I'm new to Pico-8 and set myself the task of learning Lua.
Thought I'd go with something I know so here's my shameless ripoff of the Asteroids arcade game.

Controls are exactly how you remember.
D-Pad to steer and thrust
Buttons for shoot and Teleport.

Be careful with Teleport... It's not always a get out of jail free card ;)

My code definitely could use optimisation but everything seems to work.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers :)

6 comments

Cart #trees-0 | 2020-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

press o to refresh.
thanks,
-h

8 comments

I'm just starting out in PICO-8 and messing around with OOP-style prototypal inheritance, so I tried to run the following code:

myclass = {str = "printme"}

function myclass:new(o)
 o = o or {}
 setmetatable(o,self)
 self._index = self
 return o
end

subclass = myclass:new()
print(subclass.str)

...and it prints [nil] .

Should it not print "printme"? What am I doing wrong here?

5 comments

I've just figured out how to get PICO-8, sound and all, to work on ChromeOS 79. Since there doesn't seem to be any other information on the topic, I'll post it here.

To begin, install Linux (Beta) (a.k.a. Crostini) on your Chromebook. You can learn how to install Linux (Beta) here.

After Linux (Beta) has installed, install and unzip the Linux version of PICO-8. Then, drag and drop the pico-8 folder into My files / Linux files. That way the files will appear in the home directory of Linux (Beta).

Next, we need to make pico8 executable:

$ cd ~/pico-8
$ chmod +x pico8

That's enough to get PICO-8 working. However, the sound won't work. To fix this, open the new Terminal app and type the following commands:

​​# Make sure the new cros-pulse-config package is installed.
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

# Clear out existing pulse settings.
$ rm -rf ~/.config/pulse

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=71790#p)
27 comments

HELLO and welcome back to another exciting week of Applecart.

When we first started, we wanted you programmers out there to give us your own rendition of Apple ]['s own Saucer Attack, an old 6502-assembly Apple ][ game that was originally read in the computer by audiocassette.

There were two entries total, and you can find those HERE:

==PLAY GAME==
Saucer Attack written by dw817 (12-29-19)

==PLAY GAME==
Destructoid written by chizel9000 (12-29-19)

The week after that we had a new competition, to make a game called Saucer Invasion, slightly different from the above. In this case we had a bonus, a video to look at so we could indeed see the original game, its instructions, presentation, and operation.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

si
by dw817
Cart #si-1 | 2020-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART into pico-8, type in immediate mode:

load #si

See source-code full of remarks detailing what is happening.

This is my entry into this week's 🍎Applecart series.

The premise is simple but the gameplay is challenging.

You are given 15-missiles to shoot into the UFO in the sky. But your missiles do not just shoot straight out. They take a moment for the rockets to really get going so you'll need to predict where the UFO will be when your missile hits.

And the UFO does not take a straight course either and can change direction in a moment's notice. However the UFO does not take into account the missile's location.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #saucerinv_nosnibor28-0 | 2020-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Submitted for Applecart. Thanks again, @dw817 for the fun challenge! Also thanks to @chizel9000 for the helpful feedback on the WIP.

Saucer Invasion is a game in which you shoot missiles at flying saucers. You can move the silo horizontally across the bottom of the screen and fire vertically at your foes. Your score for hitting a target is based on its height and speed, and there's a penalty for missing. The game ends when you run out of either time or ammunition. This is explained in a big ol' wall-o-text intro at the beginning, in keeping with the spirit of the original 1977 Apple II game that served as inspiration.

Updates from the

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #ix_calmsail-0 | 2020-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Menu: Z to start game.

Game: UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to move the boat

Mechanics

Just a nice calm game where you float your boat around the sea. Nothing happens except the sound of the gentle waves. You can relax.

Commentary

December was an aggressive month with a lot of supposedly free time that did not end up feeling very free. To be fair I also worked on two or three other different games this month, so that doesn't help.

Note: I expect to stop working on monthly games early in 2020, not sure exactly when. They have been stressing me out for too long and they make it hard to ever work on something with a slightly larger/longer scope.

itch.io page: here​.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #planet_grid_mrh_v1-1 | 2020-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to Planet Grid. This is a small puzzle game, loosely based on the board game Barenpark. Instructions in game. Enjoy! Please feel free to leave any constructive criticism.

Controls: Arrow keys: select/move piece, Button O: Confirm, Button X: Rotate piece

Edit: Released v1.1 with a few small improvements and bug fixes.

4 comments

oxo3d - 3d noughts and crosses / tic-tac-toe

Oxo 3D is a 3 dimensional (4x4x4) noughts-and-crosses / tic-tac-toe game for pico-8. This is a game with considerably more strategy than the traditional 3x3 version.

Quick start

You're O and you have to get 4 in a row. The board is a cube viewed in slices. Imagine the 4 slices piled on top of each other.

Use the arrow keys to move the highlight and press Z to place a piece.

Use X to view the cube in different orientations.

Use Enter to view the menu to change level.

Watch out for tricky diagonal lines!

Good luck!

How to play 3D Noughts-and-Crosses

Each group of 4x4 positions represents one plane on the cube.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

On Chrome: Version 79.0.3945.88 (64 bits)
How to reproduce:

• navigate to any game
  • click on "code" dropdown
  • page becomes unresponsive (cannot be selected, game cannot be launched...)

Not reproduced on Edge (and apparently on Firefox - cannot test)

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->