BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #mb_boids-0 | 2019-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

❎ to show the follow target
🅾️ to show CPU usage

I've been wanting to do this for a while. This is a simple boids simulation. Most of the code was adapted from Daniel Shiffman's implementation in Processing.

Feel free to pick apart the code. Unfortunately, it's not commented much, and I'm absolutely sure there are optimizations that can be done.

1 comment

Cart #peck_shooter-1 | 2019-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Old project (it was a small project to learn lua and pico8), was "in-progress" figured I should upload the final version.

2 comments

[128x128]

You may have seen a few carts show impossible logos both in the BBS and in Splore. Impossible in the fact that you scan both code and memory to see where the logo is but it's nowhere to be found.

So - just how did they get that logo on there in the first place ?

Well, with a little bit of trickery, actually. You can do the same thing in truth.

Load up your cart. In immediate mode type:

export spr.png

to export your tiles to a temporary file.

Then type:

import logo.png

The 128x128 logo that you want.

At the bottom of your code or the first lines in _init() add:

memcpy(24576,0,8192)
repeat until forever

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #pianophasetweet-0 | 2019-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"Tweetcart" which plays Piano Phase by the composer Steve Reich. The music is generated and played in the space of 280 characters (one tweet)!

Here's the code:

n="46bde64db6ed"d=#n
j=12800
o={0,0}for i=0,31 do for e=0,1 do
poke2(j+i*2+544+68*e,21120+i+e*64) end end
g=0
function _update60()for i=1,d do
g+=1
for e=1,2 do
if g%(90-e)<1then
w=o[e]
o[e]=w%d+1
sfx(7+e,e,tonum("0x0"..sub(n,w,w)))end
end
end
print("steve reich-piano phase")
end
0 comments

Cart #tudanawati-10 | 2019-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This tutorial is part 3 of a series. View part 1 here.

And the end of part 2 we had roadside objects drawn using scaled sprites and sections of the map.

Everything so far has been flat, so in this tutorial we will add some hills and valleys.
This will require solving some overlap issues which we will solve using a clip rectangle "trick", which will in turn set us up nicely for implementing tunnels - so we'll do that too.

Defining the pitch

First we'll define the pitch of each corner with a field called "pi" (not to be mistaken for the Greek letter and mathematical constant).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

I made some fruits for pico-8. Feel free to use it, but please mention my name (gwalker76 or 8x8Studio) in your game. Thanks :)

3 comments

Edit: Never mind, I think the sound driver on my system has some kind of volume compression enabled.

There seems to be something amiss with the SFX player code.

The cart below simply plays a single SFX. The SFX is a constant sine wave tone with a stepped volume envelope. The envelope steps up each half second, from 0 to 7, and then back down each half second, to 0.

On my PC, this results in the SFX immediately being nearly full volume, stepping up once, maybe twice, until it's actually full volume, and then remaining full volume almost until the end, when it then steps back down four times to medium volume and then abruptly turns off.

On the web player, it seems to be more symmetrical. I'm hearing it start at medium volume and step up four, maybe five times before holding steady for a while and then stepping back down four times to medium volume and abruptly turning off.

Cart #bikitetazo-1 | 2019-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #terrytheskeleton-5 | 2019-11-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Terry The Skeleton is my entry to #ProcJam that is happening on itch.io where you have to design a game/tool/anything that uses procedural generation or as they say on the website create something that creates something else. In Terry, the player can moves in realtime while enemies are still restricted to be in turned-based. The goal is to see how fast you can finish the game in number of enemy steps. Terry is a silly little game with a silly funny story, that I hope it make you smile while playing :)

Controls:

• Arrows: to move/dash around based on the movement type
  • X or Z: to change the movement type between normal movement (1 tile move) or dashing (tile it reach a wall)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #grinchfazolis-0 | 2019-11-09 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cartridge is called "The Grinch Goes To Fazolis". Fazoli's is a fast-casual Italian restaurant chain.

In this cartridge you play as the Grinch, and you go to Fazoli's to retrieve the jar of special goo from their kitchen. Meanwhile, you can pick up Grinch Goo to fight the chefs and the patrons of the restaurant.

2 comments

Cart #grinchwalmart-0 | 2019-11-08 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cartridge is called "The Grinch Goes to Wal-Mart". In it you play as the Grinch, and go to Wal-Mart to pick up some groceries you need. Then you go to the exit. If you like you can punch the other shoppers.

The game takes place in March, so there are no Christmas decorations around.

GRINCH'S GROCERY LIST

Ice Cream
Mayo
Doritos
Jeans
Pillowcase
Phone Charger
Onion
Shampoo
Dog Food
Pencils

"The Grinch Goes to Wal-Mart" is an affectionate parody of Dr. Seuss's Grinch character.

0 comments

Cart #shelob-0 | 2019-11-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My very first Pico8 project.
Simple FPP game.
Controls: arrows (left-right-up-down).
Collect 1000 points and escape the tunnel. Avoid spider threads on your way out. Every 100 points = +1 live.
Enjoy.

3 comments

Real Time Celester

Cart #rtcelester-0 | 2019-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by OrangeKnife's Celeste corrupter and the Real Time Corrupter by CorruptedBytes, it's the Real Time Celester! A hack for Celeste that corrupts the game in real time as you play. Can you beat it before the game implodes upon itself? Post your times and your discoveries below!

Q: How is this different from the original Celeste corrupter?
A: Instead of using a fixed seed for the corruptions, the realtime corrupter randomly blasts corruption every certain amount of frames. This way the game get's more hectic and crazy as it goes along.

Q: How does it work?
A: The two settings on the main menu control the amount of frames per corruption blast (Frametime), and how many bytes to corrupt per frametime (Amount). It does this using the poke function, which allows you to change any byte of the program loaded into memory while it's running. It basically just uses that function coupled with a random number everytime it wants to corrupt another byte.

Q: Could you theoretically corrupt the corrupter?
A: There's a chance, albeit slim, and if it happens, god help us all.

Play the original Celeste here! https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145

33 comments

Hi guys; just bought pico-8 to use for the Game Jam and have some questions;

I'm following the platformer tutorial from Nerdy Teacher and was able to get my own status screen as show in the picture;

*the fanzine code I'm looking at is so I can remember how to draw a rectangle

What it does now is that the camera follows the player so when you progress the map the previous tiles will disappear where the new ones will show up; but when this happens the status box I made disappears along with it. I tried pasting and copying the code within the camera code I copied but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way where I can have the status text just stay static or doesn't move? Or move along with me?

The tutorial that I'm following: https://nerdyteachers.com/Explain/Platformer/

8 comments

Cart #solitaire_bb-0 | 2019-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi folks! I got PICO-8 yesterday and I attempted Solitaire as my first project.

Move the marbles by jumping over another marble in any of the four directions. The aim of the game is to end up with exactly one marble left in the center of the board.

Controls
Arrow keys — Move
Z — Select
X — Open the menu

Enjoy <3

1 comment

Hello everyone,
my name is North Wolf, nice to meet you.

I'm a 23 year old Italian and i've been playing video games since I was 5 years old.
And ... nothing, that's it.
I can't wait to know more about PICO-8, his community and all the game made so far.

See you around,

North Wolf

1 comment

sa
by dw817
Cart #sa-0 | 2019-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

To load this program in Pico-8, type:

load #sa

Shuffling a deck of cards on a computer has come a long way, hasn't it ?

The classic method is to go through each card one at a time and shuffle them by taking the index card and swapping it with a random card anywhere in the deck.

The problem with this method is that after a shuffle if the first card is say 2 of Spades, then you already know the next card will be Ace of Spades. So, yeah, it's not perfect.

Another way is to create a table picking a random number from 0-51 adding it to an array until the deck is filled. This will work but it can be slow once it gets near the end picking that random number from 0-51 to get that very last card that is not in the deck.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Was just experimenting with arrays, starting to understand NEW and DEL a little better, when I came across this:

set={}
for i=1,6 do
  set[i]=i
end
newset=set
newset[3]=0
?set[3]

What gives ? The correct answers should be "3."

Normal BASIC with "newset=set" would just copy the array to a new array and let you work with it as a new array. You can't do this in Pico-8 as apparently it's just a shortcut to the original array ?

Is there a way to copy one array to another easily ? Like newset=set{} or something ?

6 comments

Cart #tudanawati-5 | 2019-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This tutorial is part 2 of a series. View part 1 here

At the end of part one we had a basic road with corners.

Next we'll add some background objects along the sides of the road. Pseudo-3D racers commonly have objects like trees, houses and signs spaced along the side of the road to make things more interesting.

Adding trees

I've added a few sprites to play with. We'll start by adding this tree along each side, every 3 segments.
[128x32]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

dx
by dw817
Cart #dx-4 | 2019-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

To load this cart in Pico-8, type:

load #dx

VVhat's new ?

• Added visible footprints so you can see where you've been.
  • Now does not show maze-drawing process.
  • Fixed up sprites a bit.
  • Am researching recursion as a possible maze-maker.

There are 2-ways you can navigate this maze.

1. Just using your footprints as a guide.
  2. Press (X) to turn on the auto-mapper and use that as a guide.

This is not so much a game (although you can play it) as a proof of concept.

Something I've wanted to do is have code that automatically builds a fairly large dungeon, in this case 125x125 tiles is a fine testing area and build a maze that cuts the edge of the walls intelligently leaving space for the player to move around, so the corridors are not 1x1 tile in size but actually 3x3 floor space and 2x2 walls.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #ix_littleghost-0 | 2019-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Menu: Z to start game.

Game: UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to move character,

Z to quit

Mechanics

Just a silly dodging game. More ghosts will appear over time.

Commentary

Travelling for work during about a third of this month and it really knocked me out. But I'm home at last and very ready to start another month of messing!

itch.io page: here.

#onegameamonth October 2019

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->