BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

stars in the galaxy.
Whoops, sorry, not that. No, something BETTER. Millions and billions of VALUES you can now use in Pico-8.

mib
by dw817
Cart #mib-0 | 2019-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

load this in Pico-8 immediate mode with:

load #mib-0

I understand there was a library made sometime ago that could increase a value to trillions, but it could not decrease, let alone go beyond 0 to negative numbers.

Well, I sat down and thought about it. Realized that getting past 0 is a tricky thing indeed. Especially going from 0 to a negative number and found at least for me a fairly simple solution to get around it.

So what do you have here ?

Well, in the demo hit LEFT and RIGHT to choose a positive or negative number to add or subtract to your total. And calculate the result every time you hit (O).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #nexcidium-0 | 2019-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

This game is a vertical shooter with a story. It’s not designed to be very hard - the whole game can be completed in ~5 minutes or so. It was build for Ludum Dare 44, with the theme of "your life is currency".

Story

The year is 2098. Earth’s human population has reached 15.2 billion. Under pressure of dwindling resources, the government passes the ‘greater good’ act. Under this act, families are paid to voluntarily terminate a loved one. As a government worker, your job is to carry out these terminations. The method of choice: 100mg ‘nexcidium’ injection.

Posted this on itch.io, but I want to get it up on the BBS. Hope you enjoy!

7 comments

Cart #break_practice_cc-0 | 2019-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #blackdeath-1 | 2019-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello!

I'd like to present a little game I made called Black Death. It's an action game in which you play as The Plague. You have infected a rat and your goal is to kill all of the villagers with your putrid bite.

However your rat only has limited health. You must maintain your ability to infect the villagers by transferring yourself to other rats.

Beware the attacks of the villagers. They will try to kill you. Use the rat holes if you must.

Watch out for The Doctor. Though he will not harm you, his goal is to heal infected villagers. Ensure that he cannot reach them before the infection has had time to kill them.

Control your rat with the arrow keys. Bite by touching a villager or rat with your nose. If a villager touches you on any other side then you will be hit.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #footloose-0 | 2019-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Pico-8 version of Footloose by Kenny Loggins. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment

Updated to fix a design error that prevented accessing all the computers following certain paths. Added map transitions

Cart #space_engineer-6 | 2023-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

10 comments

Here is the latest, 10-18-19

brw
by dw817
Cart #brw-3 | 2019-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

To load this in Pico-8, in the console immediate mode type:

load #brw-3

. . .

brw
by dw817
Cart #brw-2 | 2019-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(older version)

Hope you don't mind me starting a new thread. I literally had to rewrite more than half the code here so I think it's deserving of it.

And yes, it now has a proportionally spaced font.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Cart #adventuremaze-0 | 2019-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I created this as part of a tutorial, and I ended up making my own maze. There is a way to speed run this if you can figure it out. Have Fun!

3 comments

Pico Lib

After making some games in pico8 I found I was copy and pasting some functions, code designs. With the new(ish) "#include" functionality, I decided to pull those things out into a cart to use as a library. Its still a WIP but right now includes

• Vector obj with some functions
  • screenshake manager
  • gamestate manager
  • Actor class with optional..
    • animation (multiple sprites per frame)
    • collision (with map flag 1 and other actors)

Cart #pico_lib-1 | 2019-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Examples

Cart #pico_lib_actors_example-0 | 2019-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Now that I'm mixing and matching my metaphors in programming, metaphorically speaking of course, I'm running into some curious behavior by Pico-8.

For instance, take this code:

a="1"
b=2
?a+b

Which gives you 3, and that's fine.

But if you do this:

a="1"
b={1}
?b[a]

The result is NIL. Now I already know why it is because it's a string, but wouldn't it be easier for Pico (and possibly other programmers) to remove the number "type" completely and instead treat all variables as strings, only doing calculations when desired, and even then the results while visually appearing numerically are still just in truth a string ?

We already have ".." to show linking two strings together so there would be no difficulty with getting the "+" chosen correctly for calculations in determining whether or not it needs to be added to or appended to.

What problems would typecasting everything as a string cause ?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hi guys !

I have a license for PICO-8 and Voxatron. But many of my friends don't. They downloaded PICO-8 on pirate sites and are still able to develop games.

So I was wondering: except access to future updates and a remuneration for PICO-8 creators, what is a license for? The right to submit carts on BBS?

Thanks !

6 comments

Cart #ball_effects-0 | 2019-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made this cart to test some distortion effects for future projects.

A lot of people got interested in a tweet I made with it so I'm posting here in case anyone wants to see the code or use it on a project.

Move with the mouse;
Z/X (O/X) to change size;
Left mouse click to switch effect.

4 comments

Cart #avoition-0 | 2019-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A TweetTweetJam inspired 560 char game. Inspired by the flash game Avoision. But that name was already taken on Pico8. Everything is under 560 chars including the metadata and high score save system (If you want to delete the high score just delete or rename vsn.p8d.txt). Make the square avoid the swirlies. the square will always follow your mouse (marked by a semicolon) but will lag behind it.

If you last for 18 minutes and 30 seconds you will find a hidden Easter Egg. Which may or may not be an integer overflow. Pro tip, the red circle doesn't hurt you.

Licensed under Unlicense, the CC-BY-NC-SA is just for the label.

0 comments

Hunger is a short game about greed.

It's my first game and will only take you a minute or two – would love for you to give it a try!

Cart #hunger-1 | 2021-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

--

Itch: http://ghostronaut.itch.io/hunger

5 comments

I'm still staying pretty busy here working on something else, but thought I would give this a go using the speed of the mapper to swap pages. See what you think:

Cart #yaaa256-0 | 2019-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

At first, I saw a demo where a student implement a voxelspace algorithm with compute shaders. Voxelspace is a tech invented in the '90s by Kyle Freeman at Novalogic to render landscape. Games like Comanche, Deltaforce used it. It was based on heightmap and voxels, not polygon. I don't know much about shaders, but I know it is better at rendering polygons. So... I try to understand how all this work and here is the result: my voxelspace implementation on Pico 8

With freds72 optimization

Cart #voxelspace_ykk-2 | 2019-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

first release
Cart #voxelspace_ykk-1 | 2019-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #super_cold-0 | 2019-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

For Mix and Game Jam

2 comments

Cart #yeboyugusa-0 | 2019-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #nevertell_odds-2 | 2019-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Super short game made for TriJam - an endless shooter in which you have to dodge a lot of asteroids with a spaceship with inertial dynamics!

8 comments

Hey @zep!

Can you please add a feature to PICO-8's WAV export function, so that each of the four channels have one WAV file each? I've been wanting to do oscilloscope views of PICO-8 chiptune music, but the "oscilloscope view" format requires one WAV file for each channel (so that each channel is seen as a separate waveform).

I've already mentioned you on Twitter about this, but you never replied:
https://twitter.com/StinkerB06/status/1182348172548399104
https://twitter.com/StinkerB06/status/1174923908128002048

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->