BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #earthdefence-0 | 2019-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[#earth defence-0#]
Here's Earth Defence by Indy, aged 7!

You are the buggy with the intergalactic catcher on top.Catch the meteors and asteroids before they hit the earth!

this is the working version - more bits and pieces may be added later!

0 comments

Cart #bjk_batty-5 | 2019-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for Spooky September 4 Color Jam.

You're a bat. Flap your wings with Z. Boost for 100 coins with X. Fly as far as you can, and collect coins as you go.

Changes
revision 2: Fixed but where you could go forever if you dropped off the screen
revision 3: Add boost. Add effects. Add (temporary) sounds.
revision 4: Final version for the jam! (-ish)

3 comments

Cart #wepubosaya-0 | 2019-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A timestables studying game for Scarlett!

0 comments

Cart #picoctober_2019_03-0 | 2019-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Day 3 of PicOctober. Added some vines, took a suggestion to use the sprite-sheet for characters instead of strings from @dw817. Added some bound tests on the pumpkin.

5 comments

Cart #huzodebeta-0 | 2019-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

cds
by dw817
Cart #cds-1 | 2019-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hmm ... You press ENTER in the BBS and it pauses, okay, run it local or use the spacebar instead.

Also, use the "=" as the backspace key and the "[" key for letter P.

As you know or should by watching how to write game in Pico-8 or doing so yourself, there is a nifty function called FGET() which will let you retrieve whether or not up to 8-flags are being set for a sprite of your choosing.

You can see pointing right at them HERE.

So how do they work ? Very simply. You click on them, up to 8 and using the command FGET followed by the sprite # you get the value of TRUE or FALSE whether or not that particular flag # (0-7) is set.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #sazumozhu-0 | 2019-10-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Created for a class for Intro to Game Development. Work in progress!

0 comments

Alright so you've been using PICO for a-while now and have gotten used to the limitations on the sound. But then occasionally you come across a snazzy cart that has sound you are CERTAIN is just not possible with the limitations of Pico-8, or so you think.

So what gives ?

Well let's see if we can discover what's going on. First off save off the work on your current cart and REBOOT.

Let's start with a clean slate. Press the ESC key and ALT-RIGHT arrow key three times and TAB until you are at the sound editor.

Let's start with something basic. The rain sound. To make this, type out the following. You can create that "C" with letter Z.

Then click on the right-most number of LOOP to 1 so it shows LOOP 00 01 and press SPACEBAR to hear it.

Familiar. But is that as low pitch as the sound can go ? Well, yes and no.

Let's now discover something new. Hit SPACEBAR again to stop playing. Now, do you see that tiny little button just below the 2nd number for LOOP. Well, click on it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #binabiteki-5 | 2019-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #binabiteki-4 | 2019-10-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #binabiteki-3 | 2019-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #binabiteki-2 | 2019-10-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #hongkong97-0 | 2019-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A remake of the infamous SNES game Hong Kong 97 i made during the past few days, and my first complete pico-8 game!
Preserves the same pointless and confusing gameplay of the original.

1 comment

Cart #ff_aquova-0 | 2019-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this probably a year ago when I was first learning how the Pico-8 music editor worked. I only just realized that I had never updated it (I also forgot that I had finished it), so here we go! It is a recreation of the menu theme for Final Fantasy.

1 comment

Cart #picoctober2019_02-0 | 2019-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The second day of PicOctober! Added scrolling messages with letters made out of sprites. Required creating tables with strings that form each row of each character. You can still roll one pumpkin around.

2 comments

Hi,
I have an idea-- lets say i have a voxel/pixel model with colors blue and brown. Is lUA/shader/something else
able to have the blue voxels/pixels behave/look like water and the brown like dirt? Is there another idea for this? ps also in voxatron the white voxels dont show up when importing model? well thanks keep on gaming...

4 comments

Hi,
I noticed a problem in the PICO-8 web export, concerning cart data. On a computer, the cart data works just fine, and I saw by inspecting my game's page (https://artridge.itch.io/dodge) that a folder called IndexedDB is created. I guess that's where the cart data is stored, because there is a directory called /user_data/cdata containing some data. So that's all working nicely. But mobile devices is where the problem occurs. To inspect my game's page on mobile devices, I plugged them to my computer, and used Safari's web inspector, which lets you inspect web pages on mobile devices. So on my iPad air 2 (iOS 12), this IndexedDB folder gets created, and cart data works fine. But on my iPad Mini 4 (iPadOS 13) and my iPhone SE (iOS 12), it isn't created, and nothing gets saved in the game (it should save highscores, and settings). It would be great if this could be fixed, because cartdata is quite a big part of my game.
And this problem also occurs here on the BBS, cart data isn't saved on my iPhone SE or my iPad Mini 4.

4 comments

Pressing ctrl+s then ctrl+r in swift succession caused pico8 to freeze.

This did not resolve, and as a result the file was not saved, and was corrupted.

(I had a very recent backup so only lost a very short SFX. This was actually the third time I've had this issue, although the other two times it either resolved or the file wasn't corrupted.)

This was with Windows 10 and pico8 0.1.12c.

0 comments

On Android, using Chrome, the cartridges (at least those on the BBS - I haven't looked further afield yet) have constantly crackly audio, and the distinction between ticks is very audible so each tick sounds burbly or garbled, and some instruments sound particularly off in tone from what they should sound like.

I am using an Android tablet. It's low end, but I believe that to be not the main issue because I can get near perfect audio in Firefox with the same tablet (it could still be a contributing factor if Chrome isn't very efficient with delivery of audio but Firefox is).

The tablet runs Android 8.1.0; Oreo go.

I am using Chrome (version 77.0.3865.92 - I just updated it to make sure the issue happened with the latest version available to the tablet).

I can't say whether this is a general problem or limited to this device (I don't have extras to try it on).

I feel this is worth mentioning on the pico8 forum as a bug in case people are expecting everyone accessing their cartridges to be getting a near equal experience. This won't necessarily happen, and the delivery of the audio content that I'm experiencing is so bad that I wouldn't expect anyone to keep a cartridge open for more than 20 seconds.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

The inline code syntax matcher is too greedy. A single instance runs past the closing backtick to the end of the paragraph:

One `two three` four five

One two three four five

Multiple instances in a paragraph help to illuminate what's happening: the styled span starts at the opening backtick but closes at the end of the paragraph, so multiple instances produces nested spans:

One `two` three `four` five

One two three four five

2 comments

Cart #hasufoguga-0 | 2019-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #pupemumoyo-0 | 2019-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #picoctober2019_01-0 | 2019-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Doing my own version of #PicOctober inspired by @Alexis_Lessard. I'm going to publish a pico-8 cart every day, building on the work from every previous day. Today I've just made it so you can roll a pumpkin around with the arrow keys.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->