BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #sgupisohe-0 | 2019-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is what I have so far. I finished the basic game mechanics a few weeks ago and now I'm starting to expand beyond a normal space invaders clone. I just finished adding the particle effects and screen shake effect. I've never done anything like this before so this game is full of firsts for me. I'm planning to refactor the code and make it more organized before I add more features. I'm sure that you all have some advice for ways to improve the code and make it more efficient. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. After I'm done reorganizing the program I have several decisions to make. I'm trying to decide if I should add a health mechanic for the basic aliens or reserve it for bosses only.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #nateyiwus-2 | 2019-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I tried my hand at making a mod of Celeste. Let me know what you think, and whether or not I should continue :P
Let me know about the difficulty. Like is it too hard? or too easy?

EDIT: I need a real name soon :( . Version 0.2 tho

CHANGELOG:
Redid landscape to look more barren
Remade the main character because.
Changed Strawberries to look different for no real reason.
Changed levels 1-3 to either overhaul or make them more difficult.
EDIT:
Changed levels 4-6 to be more challenging

12 comments

Cart #don2-2 | 2019-09-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After defeating Numenas in Dungeon of Numenas, Numenas went into hiding in his castle, and it is now your duty to find him and defeat him one last time.

You can also find it on itch.io here.

Controls:

Use the right and left arrow keys to move.

Jump with C or Z.

Run with X.

Press up and C on the title screen to enable "speedrun mode", which will show you a timer and your P-speed bar.

5 comments

Hello everyone !

I'm into troubles with installing pico8 on raspberry pi. I made pico8 and pico8_dyn work properly but... Keyboard layout is stuck in qwerty. I'm using a bluetooth keyboard but issue is the same with a wired one.
Everything is fine when launching from X but ko when launching from console... but console is properly using azerty.

I could have user picopi because I want to build something really similar but the lack of bluetooth and wifi makes me want to install it on raspbian.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

0 comments

Cart #store_rotation_matrix-0 | 2019-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Quick example of how you can save a sin/cos result for an angle, and then draw a whole rotated object with a bunch of drawing-API calls which all re-use the trig results.

0 comments

Cart #mapuzzle-2 | 2019-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

VVVVV but in all directions

24 comments

Cart #lighthouse_gamejam-0 | 2019-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Early pass of a mod of the Jelpi demo. Hoping to continue to add new features (and of course make it look less derivative)

1 comment

So, this came out of an experiment to see how I could replicate the line scrolling effects in some of those classic 2d racing games. Somehow I got the idea to make it into a demake of Desert Bus, the mind-numbing driving simulator from the unreleased Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors for Sega CD. I sat on this for maybe a year because the code, especially the road-drawing, is pretty sloppy and I prefer my carts to be organized and well-documented... but, eh, what the heck.

Cart #desertbus-0 | 2019-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

10 comments

Cart #wall_jump_platformer-4 | 2019-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Alright, well believe it or not this would actually be the FIRST platformer I have ever written, one where you have an actual map to navigate let alone a wall-jumping sprite.

Years ago I did make some action games that worked on grids using HIRES and LORES on the Apple computer, but as I got older I wanted more and more to make turn-based thinking games relying less on human-made maps and more on computer-generated - and that is my primary focus today.

Well - this is certainly not what is happening here.

In any case, it is complete, and hopefully others can learn from the code and make good carts from it.

The first thing it does is create a sample playfield for the player to explore.

Then you have a cursor letting you place your player sprite. Use arrow keys to navigate the 64x32 area and press O to do so.

Finally you are in Testplay. Arrow keys control the player. Press O to jump and X to return to select player position.

To Wall Jump, jump then hit a wall just as you are getting ready to fall. Your player will grip the side of the wall and then fling off in the opposite direction. You can use this to climb a narrow chimney for instance.

[b]HOPE THIS HELPS !

[color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #battleboats_bw-0 | 2019-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a... reduced version of my first battleship game, Battle Boats. I made this because I actually have a piece of hardware I'm interested in using: a little SSD1306 OLED monochrome display with 128x64 resolution. PICO-8 makes a nice prototyping platform for it - I just have to restrict myself to using 1/2 the screen and only two colors.

If people are interested in the hardware I'll make this an ongoing series of posts or a blog or something.

1 comment

Was working on the code to randomly generate a presentable field for a platformer engine to testplay in, got to writing this code and while I won't be using it there, perhaps you can find a use for it ?

It's unusual in that it creates a maze pattern in any hollow region. Cart follows:

Cart #crazy_maze-0 | 2019-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #fewosijoha-0 | 2019-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello,

just testing some Slopes in a Jump'n Run-like Prototype.

Nothing's really finished yet, I'm just testing around^^.

3 comments

Cart #nw_particle_test-6 | 2019-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, 'tis my first post here. I'm just trying out all the stuff just to see how it works :)
The particle engine is based on the exemple found in the #1 issue of "Game developpement with PICO 8".

2 comments

Cart #jusehizoro-1 | 2019-09-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Use arrow keys to move around. X and O to switch between pixel and text mode. It takes a few seconds to generate the pixel version. It will generate continuously or until you hit some max of the pico-8. I am using this to make procedurally generated overworlds. Just assign tiles to the pixels/numbers and it makes a decent map.

3 comments

As Platformers seems to be on the tips and brains of people, I remember someone once mentioned it was difficult to make a platformer. If you have a reasonable background in math, I think it can be done fairly easily.

Here then is my sample engine to demonstrate how it can be done. I have geared this particular engine to match as closely as I can Nintendo's own Super Mario Bros game without using look-up tables.

Cart #kinezapubo-0 | 2019-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Keys are LEFT, RIGHT, and (O) to jump.

Note also I am multiplying everything by 100. The reason is simple. Most programming languages start to give incorrect values even doing simple things like subtracting .1 or .05 from a real number. By keeping everything integer, you do not have problems with the limitations of the language's inability to handle real numbers.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #guzuzetoje-2 | 2019-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press any key to switch between self-aware tiles and non-aware tiles.

7 comments

This is just a little something that would be nice, but I spend a lot of time resizing my window so it just fits around the Pico-8 screen. I love having a little floating Pico-8 screen with no black boarders or anything. I don't mind having the frame around it, and I've already set up my window so on launch it's the largest my screen can comfortably hold and have no black border.

The problem is when I'd like to get a smaller window. Pico-8 jumps between certain sizes already, and I would love to have a shortcut to move between window sizes, or some option for window size snapping (window size would snap smaller to fit around Pico-8 screen)

I don't know if anyone else really cares about something like this, or how many people keep their Pico-8 windows like I keep mine, but it's personally something I would like to see.

2 comments

Cart #battleboats-7 | 2019-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first PICO-8 game! What do you think?

(Edit: use Q for "O" key and X for the "X" key)

Changelog:

v6 - white splash, substr trick, smarter AI

11 comments

Cart #escapehell-2 | 2019-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired from MBoffins Top Down Adventure game tutorial.

5 comments

Cart #moon_lander-1 | 2019-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Moon Lander. Not related to that Lunar Lander game at all.
Now with!

• more pads!
  • multiple landers!
  • limited fuel!
  • points!
3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->