Follow
WingedRobot

Hi! My name's Colin. I've been programming for about 7 years on and off. In the past couple years I've gotten back into it in a big way and am currently in college for a CS degree.

[ :: Read More :: ]

I don't know if this is just a quirk of how print does its job, but I've found that print statements with strings that begin with a "\n" newline character get cut off in the middle of the line.

In this image, the lines who are cut off are formatted with a \n at the beginning
print("\nthird")

print("\nfourth")

print("\nfifth")

I'm in a bit of a hurry, will update with more later.

P#65549 2019-07-03 23:54 ( Edited 2019-07-03 23:55)

Cart #swirlypinwheel-0 | 2019-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was one of the first things I did in Pico-8, seeing other people do small graphical art pieces and wanting to do it myself, I started looking at other peoples tweetcarts (probably from @guerragames, since I mentioned him in my original tweets about this) and began playing with sin and cos myself. It had been a while since trig class. I was rusty on how they worked and after some time re-learning how to make a circle I made this.

One thing I learned while playing around was what printing could do if you didn't clear the screen. I found this out while trying to print out a debug statement! The line feed creates a really interesting effect if you're playing with motion, and purposefully using empty prints to achieve this is not something I've seen many other people play with.

Later on, I added simple controls and a button to clear the screen so I could make little art pieces with the cool patterns created by a spinning object like this, and created pieces some art:

I just now added a button to reverse the direction of the wheel (just 'cuz) and I decided to (FINALLY) share this on here instead of just on twitter. I'm gonna keep on uploading stuff on here so I can keep a little blog of my own Pico-escapades.

P#62271 2019-02-26 05:03 ( Edited 2019-02-26 05:08)

Cart #kirbyinstarfield-0 | 2019-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a Pico-8 doodle I made a while ago using only circles. I wanted it to be the first cart I published on the BBS because I love it so much. It might be one of my favorite things I've ever made.

I tried as closely as possible to follow the traditional tutorial of how to draw Kirby:

First you draw a circle,

Then you dot the eyes,

Add a great big smile

And presto, it's Kirby!

I have plans to add some animation to Kirby himself later on, but for now I just wanted to share him with everybody!

EDIT:
I forgot, but I actually was inspired to do this because of a tweet from @thekirbybot on twitter!
https://twitter.com/thekirbybot/status/1009457661405028352

P#62235 2019-02-25 08:46 ( Edited 2019-02-25 09:16)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:59:05 | 0.301s | Q:17