BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #kiratapezo-0 | 2019-08-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Trick or treat through the underworld, spooking monsters into fleeing and looting their candy along the way!

Controls:

Up/down keys to navigate menus
Z or C to preform an action
X to back out of a menu
Stats:

Spook (white) - Character runs away if their spook gets too low. Chocolate recovers it.
Sugar (orange)- Used for powerful tricks. Gained through eating candy corn.
Made in a week for GBJam7.

2 comments

Cart #egypt-3 | 2020-03-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

Welcome to the mystical land of Ancient Egypt! One day, you find yourself lost within a mysterious temple, when you come across a goddess incarnated as a jewel. Your job is to restore the goddess's power by breaking the seals found throughout the temple.

To break a seal, you must match together all of the idols within it. This is done by moving your jewel onto arrow tiles, which shift your row or column in the given direction (and the idols along with it). Once you match up all the idols in a level, the game is over.

Controls

• D-PAD: Moves your jewel UP, DOWN, LEFT, or RIGHT.
  • Z/C/N: Lets you choose a magic spell to use. Use LEFT and RIGHT to choose between them, and X/V/M to confirm. Use Z/C/N to go back.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

After I coded some games I want to build my own console with a raspberry pi. Question is:
since most of my games are built with the _update60 function, what pi should i buy to run the games smooth?

Also, I would like to know when I should be using the _update60 vs the _update30.

Thanks in advance.

1 comment

Cart #retro_brothers-0 | 2019-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Oh no! There are vermin in the pipes!
The only solution is to send in the world's best adventurer-plumber : Mar Jelpi!

Play as Jelpi and his siblings as he goes down into the sewers to clear out all the creatures living in the slimy darkness of the sewer pipes!

This one is obviously based on an old classic.

Before the NES, Nintendo games were ported to every platform you can imagine, both officially and unofficially. (This was the Mario of my youth) So I figured I'd have a go at bringing my interpretation of this old favorite to Pico-8.

[box=ffffdd]

• This game supports up to four players. Just use the directional buttons to choose your character and X to lock in your choice.

• Once in game use left and right to move, and either button to jump.

• Stun enemies by bumping them from underneath, and then kill them by jumping on them while they're stunned.

• The "ZAP" button will stun every creature currently touching the ground. But be careful! Zap can only be used three times before it's empty and has to regenerate.

• Extra Life at 5,000pts, 10,000pts, and every 10,000pts thereafter.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #celesteusetheberry-0 | 2019-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my second mod for celeste classic. It has 4 not too hard levels with the concept of needing the strawberry to complete the level. Sorry about the janky fourth level it was mostly done as an experiment and I couldn't be bothered making it better. I hope you enjoy! ;) Let me know if you find any cheese..

16 comments

There is a problem with cmd+h or ctrl+h on macOS. By default cmd+h is used for hiding current window. So trying to search globally on all tabs not working. If you try ctrl+h instead (cmd+f and ctrl+f are the same for example) editor switching tabs instead of global search.

PICO-8 ver: 0.1.12c

1 comment

There is some problem with selection after using Cmd+w (jump to line begin) or Cmd+e (jump to line end). Don't know if this issue is related only with MacOS or other OS also.

Steps to reproduce:

• put cursor in middle of some line
  • press Cmd+w (or Cmd+e)
  • holding shift press arrow up or down (for whole line selection)

Your selection will start sometimes from place where your cursor was before Cmd+w/Cmd+e or some other position in line, not from beginning (or end if Cmd+e used).

Workaround:

• after Cmd+w (Cmd+e) press once Up or Down
  • go back to line you want select and now selecting whole line works as should be.

PICO-8 ver: 0.1.12c

0 comments

Cart #flee_the_flems_v1-1 | 2019-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first PICO-8 game I have ever made. I am new to PICO 8 (obviously) and Lua but I think it turned out okay. There are some bugs throughout but overall it works pretty smoothly. No sound or music because I haven't optimized the code enough to include that.

2 comments

Cart #ar_spr-0 | 2019-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

ArSpr is a set of 2 utility functions that let’s you write Arabic text in Pico8. You input a Latin text and it will transliterate it to Arabic. I made it because I want to make localized Pico8 games, and to practice writing my own implementation for Right-to-Left text and Arabic Shaping.

ArSpr’s specifications:

2 sprites
510 out of 8192 tokens
~30% of compressed space
No dropped frames when filling the screen

Usage is easy, but slightly different from the regular Print() function in Pico8; you have to initialize a variable to contain the text data then draw it. Here’s an example:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #gojefesozi-0 | 2019-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You may have seen a few rare carts read the keyboard. I wrote this simple program to demonstrate easily how it can be done.

It also introduces two useful functions of CHR() and ASC() where CHR(n) returns the character equivalent from an ASCII value N whereas ASC(n) returns the ASCII equivalent from the character N.

It is important to note that I have reversed the values of 65-90 and 97-122 respectively as in PICO-8, pressing "A" by itself normally gives 97 despite its appearance being uppercase.

You are welcome to change the table back if you like.

If you don't want to use BTNP() or BTN() to return your arrow keys, you can hit NUM-LOCK and use "2" "4" "6" and "8" respectively to emulate arrow motions. Additionally, "1" "3" "7" and "9" for single stroke diagonals !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hi! It is result of my experiments with dithering and sphere rendering.

Cart #sphere_renderer-0 | 2019-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #meowlionaire-3 | 2019-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

What would YOU do if you were a millionaire?

Meowlionaire knows what's up. This chubby cat is a modern-day Robin Hood, with pie-in-the-sky dreams of raiding a trove of gold, and redistributing the wealth to the feline working class. Rumors have been floating around about a billionaire's secret hoard, stashed up in the cloudtops. 1750 of those coins could feed the hungry for years, and if we're not kidding ourselves, nobody's gonna notice that they're gone. So Meowlionaire straps on a jetpack and launches into the clouds with a dream in her heart and a money sack in her paw. Equity for all, here we come!

Controls
[Arrows] Walk

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

Hi, this was first a tweetcart, to which I added some music because, well, I HAD to!
Let's call it a tweetcart with a bonus. Hope you'll enjoy this.

Cart #shelost8bitcontrol-0 | 2019-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

just a very old very unfinished project, not playable but small and hopefully readable.
free to use and modify or take from, make something awesome and have fun!

Cart #pong3d-0 | 2019-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

function wait()
  repeat
    flip()
  until btnp(4)
end

function count()
  cls()
  for i=1,3 do
    print(i)
  end
end

i=6

count()

wait()

print("")
print(i)
print("")

wait()

for i=1,3 do
  print(i)
end

wait()

print("")
print(i)
print("done!")

repeat
  flip()
until forever

By looking at this code you would think the end result would be 4 each time, both in the function and in the main program as most programming languages would return that value. But this is not the case with PICO-8. Instead the result will be what you defined globally, in this case 6.

So it's important to remember that the index variable in ANY FOR/END statements, either directly in your main code or in a function - will ALWAYS be local to the loop.

So you need NEVER define LOCAL variables in a function that will only be used in FOR/END statements. Good to know.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

As shown in the picture above, the "from" variable is being considered a function at some time during execution. Problem is: there's nowhere in the program that I can turn that variable into a function, because it is a local variable (and the only place the 2nd argument is ever assigned is in the function itself):

function unpack(list,from,to)
 from,to=from or 1,to or #list
 if from<=to then
  return list[from],unpack(list,from+1,to)
 end
end
function to_tab_unp(tab)
 return unpack(str_to_table(tab))
end

The weirdest thing is that I call the line "in cr_char line 5 (tab 2)" every time I create a character. In this particular instance I'm recreating battles to get until I get one with a formation that fits the difficulty level I want. So it's like 1/10000 of cases generates that error. But the table being unpacked is always the same:

to_tab_unp(",{,{,{,{,,f,{,,,{,{,,,{,{,{,{,{,,,,")

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=66865#p)
9 comments

Cart #higininufo-0 | 2019-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

While I have seen the ATARI 2600 do this several times to save on space, it's a shame that PICO-8 does not have a scaling function for the default 3x5 font. In the original Haunted House or "Mildew's Manor" game, I made use of this double-size method in the menu.

Here now you can have it to use in your own code. See demo enclosed.

HOPE THIS HELPS !

0 comments

Cart #woodchopperv1-0 | 2019-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The first version of a game where you gather wood to carve and then sell it at the market.

0 comments

Cart #donikapobo-0 | 2019-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi! I'd love to hear any feedback on my work in progress top-down golf game Picogolf Endless, thanks for reading/playing!

Since it is work in progress it is just one course at the moment (procedural generation to come) but most of the physics are in place (wind is shown by the arrow top centre)

Controls

LEFT/RIGHT - aim
X - hold for more shot power
LEFT/RIGHT while power meter is moving - spin

Planned features

• Procedural generation
  • Online multiplayer using GPIO/JS
  • Complete the tree tiles / move on from these placeholders
  • Particles and polish
  • Music and more complete sfx

Thanks again :)

0 comments

I have used some of the basics taught in pico-8's manual to understand clipping, table iteration and random terrain generation using random functions.

This cartridge is a sample of those concepts in practice.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->