BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #alphastrike_delux-12 | 2019-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OVERVIEW

Alpha Strike Deluxe is a shoot-em-up in the classic NES style. Shoot your way through 5 levels, destroy everything that moves and save the world from danger. It's a remake of my 2016 game Alpha Strike, now with better code, silky smooth 60FPS and swanky graphical effects!

WHAT WAS CHANGED?

• no more grid! Every object in the game moves smoothly and isn't bound to the grid now!
  • separate scores and lives for both players!
  • graphical improvements! New sprites for all enemies, some terrain sprites, and swanky graphical effects like trails and explosions! No more 8x8 explosions and tiny spaceship trails!
  • balance fixes! The difficulty curve is now smoother and the game is a bit easier (but not too easy!)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #tetraminisdeffect-5 | 2019-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Paying homage to the 2018 installment of the franchise.
https://twitter.com/tromagon

22 comments

Cart #tiny_swordfighter-1 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny Swordfighter is a swordfighting game, and it's pretty tiny, but it's got some fun features:

• Swords
  • Guns
  • Bump-mapped lighting
  • Flowfield pathfinding (solves shared paths for many enemies at once)
  • Auto-save
  • A bossfight at the end

It's pretty close to finished, but I figured I'd try doing a WIP post to get some feedback for final adjustments. I'm nearly out of tokens, but there's still some room to optimize some more out, so I can do a small amount of extra stuff. I know it still needs some sound effects and a bossfight song, but other than that, let me know if you find any problems - confusing stuff, frustrating stuff, broken stuff, tedious stuff, etc.

23 comments

Cart #turboragestrike_wip-0 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

something I've been playing around with for a couple of weeks: shoot bad guys, fly around, do flips, standard 80s stuff. i don't know where to take this, but this cart will probably be a sandbox to try stuff.

missing features:

• gameplay

the music can be an earworm to some people, be advised.

2 comments

Cart #mod3_v01-0 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

beta testing build of Mountains of Demise 3, mostly for personal usage so I can redownload it on my laptop in SPLORE because there's absolutely nothing of interest here

1 comment

Cart #slicednoise-0 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Description

Old project that I decided finishing: It slices the screen (vertically and horizontally) as many times as requested. The slices then recursively slice, with some randomness to their dimensions.

Additionally, graphics mode can be changed. Hold the regeneration button for some trippiness.

And hey, if you like it, check out more trippy stuff on twitter :)

Controls

z,x: regenerate
up,down: change screen mode
left,right: change amount of slices (1 to 6)

0 comments

Cart #yupewyoke-2 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Turbotron is unique among tron games because it has acceleration which makes the classic tron game so much more fun and also more like the light bikes in the original movie. It's a work in progress but please give feedback and enjoy!!

Regards,

James Lee
www.leetwins.online

UPDATE [4th Jan 2019]
-updated minor errors
-reactivated acceleration in single player mode

NEXT UPDATE [soon-ish]
-will clean up code which should fix some current glitches
-will improve A.I. in single player mode to be more 'intelligent' and challenging
-possibly other improvements from users feedback

4 comments

Latest version :
Round of polish to make the game more look and sound better as well as some tweaks to make it a little cooler :D

• More audio
  • Nicer visuals
  • Tweaked audio
  • Keep playing as the ship between levels
  • Asteroids persist between levels and deaths
    Cart #rikusasteroidmus_v2-0 | 2019-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a thing I started a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago. About 2 years. I was really pleased with where I got too but unsure how to add that final level of polish to really finish it.

My plan now is to iterate. Tweak and get this done!!!

Cart #rikusasteroidmus-0 | 2019-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #fillpatanm1-0 | 2019-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

the full color "fillp + rectfill" drawing.

about fill pattern drawing old format follow.
URL FILLPDRAW
that's can only 2 color in cell of 4x4 size.

0 comments

Cart #dmerakoni-0 | 2019-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The zodiac sign of Japan in 2019 is a wild boar.

So I drew the first sunrise of the year and a wild boar and moved them.

PICO -8 users, have a great 1 year.

0 comments

A real-time fire effect based on the PSX Doom fire described by the wonderful Fabien Sanglard. Uses interlaced rendering to speed things up dramatically. Use the arrow keys to add wind, Z to show/hide stats, and X to turn the fire on and off.

A similar Pico-8 fire was done by Ben Hickling. However, that one looks and works a little differently, and runs at a lower 32x32 resolution (though with higher performance).

I think there's probably ways to make this a fair bit faster, but I just wanted to share this with you all. I hope it keeps you warm, and Happy New Year!

0 comments

Hello!

I have just started to dive into Pico 8 and Lua. I've been working on building a simple animator for my game and have run into some strange issues with regard to tables.

I declare a table and later add to it like this:

a = {}
a.p = {x=1, y=2, z=3}

The function count(a) then returns 0. Additionally, all(a) and foreach(a, function) will not iterate overt the table. Strangely, I am still able to access the information. For example,

print(a.p.x)

will correctly print the number 1. If I declare the table explicitly

a = {p={x=1,y=2,z=3}}

I have no issues. I also don't have issues if I use add() to insert new table values. However, I need to utilize the associative array functionality of the table and to add and remove values at runtime, so neither of these solutions is sufficient.

The best fix I have found is to use pairs() instead of all(). For some reason, pairs() works properly regardless of how I add values to the table. This solves my problem, but the fact that I have no idea why leads me to believe that I have some serious misunderstanding of how Lua tables and/or the Pico 8 tables api works. I'm curious as to whether others have encountered this issue and would appreciate some feedback as to where my misunderstanding may lie.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #happynewyear2019-1 | 2019-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #happynewyear2019-0 | 2018-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Happy new year to you!

1 comment

My name is Bart (short for Bartłomiej). I am preparing an article about Polish PICO-8 developers. Normally, I would try to contact Krajzeg, Mr Kozlowski, Krystman, Darkhog and others via private messages or something along these lines, but I am not able to do it using this forum. Therefore, I allow myself to rally them via this post - I hope this is okay.

I would be very grateful if you could send me an e-mail and we can take it from there. My last name is Nagorski and e-mail address is full_first_name.last_name AT gmail.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

1 comment

Cart #sphere_vox-1 | 2019-01-02 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I had to recreate my Sphere on Voxatron. I wandted to see how it'd look. I don't have a fillp routine yet, but I feel already happy with how it looks.

I didn't redo the white HUD tidbits for a specific reason : I haven't got to determine the good processes to make good HUD. The "Core status" part looks not as good as I expected.

0 comments

Hey there. I'll be writing down a few things I'm discovering while taking a bite off the brand new Voxatron update. Scripting API was a long-awaited feature and I'm definitely excited to give a new spin to Vox.

Disclaimer

I'm writing this post while playing with the alpha 0.3.5b. Stuff I'll be writing can and may change over versions.

Script organization

As a script is a component like others, you can perfectly use them in an actor as well as an animation or an emitter. update and draw are called when an actor is updated or drawn.

A script has a basic encapsulation system. Local "top"[^1] variables are indeed locals to the script and globals are shared over scripts. Yeah, you read that perfectly. You can perfectly have "library" script pieces that are just there to hold your functions akin to a Pico8 code tab as long as the desired functions or variables are global.

Note that if the script has _draw and _update, they take precedence over Voxatron's routines, even if they're not placed in a room. I'm linking a cart that stores two script pieces, a few circle drawing routines and a script having _update and _draw. Feel free to download it to see how it goes. As you can see, the room is totally blank and isn't actually rendered at all.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hey look, it's a Voxatron update!

Builds are live on lexaloffle and Humble. If you have trouble accessing your account, see this page. If you own only PICO-8, you can now update to the Voxatron + PICO-8 bundle for the difference of $5 here.

This update folds in a lot of fantasy console work, and is the first time you can see Voxatron in something similar to its final form. It has the usual trappings of a fantasy console: carts with labels (and matching .vx.png file format), a boot sequence, a SPLORE-like interface, virtual cpu limitations, and most notably, a Lua scripting API. The API is a superset of PICO-8's one and can be used to write PICO-8 style programs from scratch, or mixed with built-in engine features.

[A note for returning Voxatron users, including "Humble Voxatron Debut" customers: you can also download PICO-8 with the key that you originally purchased with. And if you don't know what PICO-8 is -- have a quick look here because it is very relevant for this update! PICO-8 started as a playground for Voxatron's scripting system, but grew into the fantasy console concept that this update is based on.]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

28 comments

Cart #turnitoff-0 | 2018-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Turn it Off! is a simple highscore game where you have to push the right buttons.

For every active button you will lose life, so push the right buttons to turn it off.
If you push enough buttons you will get an combo multiplication.
You will lose points and life whenever you push an inactive button.

How many points can you get?

This game was created with Pico-8 in few days during the holidays.

You can follow me here: @max_ritters
Credits to @RobbyDuguay for the awesome music.

0 comments

Cart #fenfriends-1 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An adventure swamp dating game. Find and meet 12 swamp denizens, give them gifts to earn their affection, and hand them the Hidden Rose.

Controls:

Arrow Keys, Move
(Z) Kiss
(X) Open/Close Friend Register

-Kiss a friend to give them a gift!
-Find hedge clippers to cut down vines!
-Fill empty bottles with cauldrons!
-Collect Orange Potions to regain Courage!

Edit: Thanks kinor! Fix typo and updated

1 comment

Cart #nitonekhi-0 | 2018-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made it just to kill some of my times...

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->