Follow
joseph3000
SHOW MORE

Cart #50267 | 2018-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Break me off a piece of that Soylent (TM) bar!

Help Old Ryan travel back to the past in this challenging puzzle game!

You will:

• Convert tasteless, bland Soylent (TM) rations into energy
  • Void the warranty on your Mr. Disposal (TM) Anti-Matter Reactor
  • Displace time and meet your younger self in Super Lunch-Out 2 Turbo!

Instructions:

Make matching color groups of 4 or more Soylent pieces to annihilate them and expose the reactor core, which you can then use to convert a Soylent bar into energy. Create enough energy to travel back in time!

Controls:

L/R - Move piece left/right
Down - Drop piece
Up - Hard drop piece
X - Rotate piece CCW
O - Rotate piece CW

Note: I designed the game around my USB iBuffalo Famicom controller, which has the buttons as XO from left to right. If it ends up being opposite on other peoples' controllers or expectations, I'm sorry!

Also, keyboard users: Use the arrow keys and x/c to rotate.

My 3rd game! As a big fan of Tetris, Dr. Mario, and Super Puzzle Fighter, I have always wanted to make my own puzzle game. I also always wished Dr. Mario (NES) had a hard drop, so I wanted to make a puzzle game with one. For a while, I had toyed with the idea of making a game set in the future portrayed in the cutscene from Super Lunch-Out 2 Turbo. I also figured if I ever made another game, that it should actually use all the buttons for once. All of these ideas came together one Saturday, which began with studying how Tetris is programmed (since I had no idea how to even start), and which after a couple of weeks led to the game you see before you!

Along with the goals above, I wanted there to be something novel about the game mechanics. I don't like playing for points, and I didn't want clearing just for the sake of clearing. This is where the idea for the "reactor core" started. Instead of just clearing pieces, there is a reason for clearing them, as advancing the level requires you to fit a piece through a small hole at the bottom of the playfield. To prevent the goal from being too one-dimensional, I further incentivized being neat about it by making all the leftovers hurt you in the form of garbage pieces. This turned out to be a fun twist, as now you have the choice of leveling up, balanced between clearing potential garbage and not making more by waiting too long. At higher speeds and later levels, it encourages perfect playing, where clearing before leveling up is essential to avoiding catastrophe.

I also wanted it to make some sense as to why things disappear/appear and what the colored blocks even were. I eventually conceptualized "Mr. Disposal", which uses anti-matter to create energy, a necessary component for time travel, but that doesn't really work well when fed Soylent (not even machines like eating it!).

Having played the best puzzle games ever made, I spent a lot of time playtesting to make sure it was challenging but fair, and making the controls very responsive! I was inspired daily with new ideas, all of which I managed to figure out how to put in the game, so I hope you find all the little details that I hid away (especially for beating it), and enjoy playing! Thank you!

P#49400 2018-02-18 23:28 ( Edited 2018-03-25 20:09)

SHOW MORE

Cart #47907 | 2018-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

• Improved Animations!
  • Juicier Sprites!
  • 2-Player Split Screen Action!
  • Bread!

Following the events of 2016's genre-defining "Ryan Ward's Lunch-Out!!", this sequel doubles down on the "Nutritional Food Action" formula in a competition against a mysterious new challenger!

Play against a friend in/solve minor disputes with this 2-player game from joseph3000!

My 2nd game ever; I learned quite a bit from the first and had to get really creative with cramming all the ideas I had into this one! I am proud to say I successfully did all I set out to do, and I hope you enjoy it!

I should have mentioned: I designed this game with the idea of someday making an arcade cabinet in mind. So, when it says "Press Any Button", any button = Up, Down, E, or D, because these are the only buttons that were going to be on the cabinet!

Update 12/31/17: I made "Any Button" actually work with any button. I also made it so that holding a button down no longer causes rapid fire/mistaken inputs (and freed up some tokens to do so). Finally, I added some time bubble animation to the intro, as well as a screen flash/sound effect.

Update 01/01/17: Added flying debris to the intro movie, something I had always envisioned but only today sat down to try and figure out. I like the results! And I think this is the final version of the game now. Thank you!

Update 01/05/17: Adjusted timing of debris more to my liking. Also moved the title screen logo down more. It was so high up before and I don't know what I was thinking (I'm done for real this time).

P#45816 2017-11-02 21:00 ( Edited 2018-01-06 02:29)

P#43154 2017-08-09 17:35 ( Edited 2017-08-09 21:35)

SHOW MORE

Cart #42868 | 2017-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License
Inspired by the true-life events of my good friend Ryan. My first game ever; I am not a programmer and taught myself what I could of PICO-8, making this whole thing up as I went along, so I'm sure the code is very inefficient and a mess, sorry! It's a simple game and is mostly a lifetime of inside jokes, but to the general public: I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Update 07/17/2017: Made a small change that draws a shadow under the first food item, which slides under the plate. It used to not have a shadow at all, and no one probably even noticed but it started to bother me!! I also made the secret a little less tedious to find...

Update 07/29/2017: I improved the food sprites, head animations, some code (some), and changed the ending big time, which I was never really satisfied with! Has anyone beaten the game yet?

P#42302 2017-07-09 21:22 ( Edited 2017-07-29 04:01)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 04:16:15 | 0.074s | Q:15