BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

@zep
(FYI we've pinged you in the secret discord server about this, but maybe you have those notifications turned off or something, so I'm posting it here for you to see)

The Advent Calendar 2018 cart hasn't been showing up in SPLORE since sometime Thursday night/Friday morning UTC, I think (around the time I posted my Day 7 cart). I also cannot find it via the search in SPLORE. (I've only been able to get to it because my Day 7 cart has a link to it in the menu :)

Also the thumbnail that shows for the BBS thread (and in pinned posts at the top) is wrong; I think both of these things started happening at the same time, so I'm wondering if they are perhaps related?

2 comments

it took a while but I finally got a print of the console from my last post (with some small changes) Now I just need to adjust USB and HDMI ports to fit the raspberry pi better. After that I will probably work on figuring out how to make the physical carts work, along with the power button. After that I should be done but who knows how long all of that will take.

(Sorry for the sideways pictures)

6 comments

Cart #avoision-0 | 2018-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just discovered PICO-8 about a week ago (how did I not know about this sooner!?), and this is my first PICO-8 release. It is a demake of a very simple game I made a long time ago named Avoision.

Instructions: You control the green square. Try to capture the red square while avoiding the moving white squares. Super simple, but I've found it to be fun in small bursts. Enjoy!

You can play the original (HTML5) game here, if you're so inclined:
https://jaredkrinke.itch.io/avoisionjs

Gameplay video (of the demake):

2 comments

Cart #mikimekar-2 | 2018-12-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

• Game is now finished
  • Instructions are now available

• Added boss attacks
  • Added boss deaths
  • Added new sprites

• Added boss intro
  • Added score system

• Added death animation
  • Fixed collsions
  • Added soul hitboxes

• Fixed missing enemies

• Added more effects
  • Souls now spawn
  • Game Over can now be exited

• Fixed explosion crash bug

• Finished main menu
  • Adjusted explosion particles

• Added a menu which still is not fully completed

• Our Pico8 game where the player has to fight through the 9 stages of hell
  • Still WIP
0 comments

How to reproduce:

• go to a game page
  • launch game
  • go to comment section
  • type some text

Bug: nothing appears (input is captured by pico)

Workaround: refresh the page / don't launch game before posting comments.

4 comments

Cart #gayujimebo-0 | 2018-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #nunidtinu-0 | 2018-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #super_snow_shoveler-0 | 2018-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Day 11 of the Pico-8 Advent Calendar 2018!

a battle between efficiency & exhaustion
~a winter classic~

Hey there folks, it's mid-December, and you know what that means: time to shovel the driveway! The snow's packed pretty heavy though - if it piles up too much, you'll have a hard time pushing it and probably just make a mess!

Make sure to check back on the calendar each day for a new gift!

1 comment

Do you know any good ways to obfuscate code for games? (BTW haven't got it)

5 comments

Getting an error when trying to load 0.3.5_rc7 (vox_64v.exe) on Windows 10 with an NVidia GTX 1060. See attached image:

8 comments

I wanted to see the code from the following cart: https://lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27636

I am unable to view the code from the bbs as previously.

Also, searching for "small text" from within splore results in "COULD NOT CONNECT TO BBS" even though I'm able to refresh other parts of splore such as featured, new, etc.

Thanks! (as a workaround, I'll just download the png)

2 comments

Hello all,

I may be missing something but I thought we were able to look at the code of a cartridge hosted online via a web browser?!

I don't seem to be able to do it now and I don't have access to my own Pico8 executable right now to load the cartridge.

Am I making sense? I thought when playing a cart online there was the word [CODE] underneath that you could click on and view the code.

?

1 comment

Cart #train-0 | 2018-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this little toy for fun. Feel free to make your own tracks (gimme credit tho). :)

5 comments

Cart #zuguzufayi-0 | 2018-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple game just using up, down and z to shoot. Try to dodge the oncoming grey blocks while collecting the red for life and yellow for ammo.

You can shoot oncoming blocks but, beware, you may shoot a useful ammo or health block!

The closer the blocks get the more points you score - how close will you let them get?

2 comments

This function is now available in PICO-8 0.2.1 - split()

Cart #split_string-0 | 2018-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SPLIT_STRING is make a table with using a delimiter from string value.
There output the all value become string value in table.

split(string, delimiter, delimiter-2d)

a=split('1 a 20 split_test --------',' ')

for v in all(a) do
print(v)
end

a=split('1 2 3;a b c;this is split',' ',';')
for b in all(a) do
	for v in all(b) do
	 print(v)
	end
end

2 comments

Cart #trafficworld-3 | 2018-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls: Left, Right

Get past the traffic herd to escape and win!

Hit z/x/c to restart after win/loss

Taffic World!!! Evade the cops and escape!

This is a simple but playable prototype of an idea I had about crashes and traffic management. I started it in the recent ludum dare but didn't have enough free time over the weekend to get something done so I figured I'd just finish it up through the week.

Basically, crash other cars, cause pileups, and stall the cops until you can get through the gridlock. There's only one level and it's very simple right now... if there's enough interest I may expand on it.

Possible full-fledged game of this would be something like infinity lanes rather than just 15 and various driving floats and food trucks and such that you can visit somehow. Basically a literal traffic world made of only lanes and driving endlessly in some one direction. Not sure how it would work exactly but I figured this simple first stab gives an idea of some of the mechanics around causing accidents.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Dear Zep,
Since you have last updated BBC, We have experienced trouble with uploading new cartridges.
Whenever we are trying to upload new Cartridge it tells us "Not a valid cart. Please try again."...
Please advice.
Many thx
/DMS

2 comments

Chrome 71 (December 2018) implements the new autoplay audio policy for the Web Audio API, which affects the Pico-8 web player. The BBS is OK because it implements a "curtain" that the user clicks on to start the player, which does the Web Audio enable interaction. But this breaks the exported web player as of Pico-8 0.1.11g: If I export a game to its own page then load the page, Pico-8 starts immediately and is disallowed sound. No interaction enables sound after this point.

One fix is for the exported web player to implement a curtain similar to the BBS. I don't know if that meets everyone's needs but would resolve the issue for the exported page. I assume we can work around this by implementing our own player curtain.

Interesting side note: This appears to affect stat() calls regarding sound as well. I have a cart that paused on stat(24) != 0, to wait for music to finish playing. The web export with sound disabled never gets past this point. I added a timeout for the pause to get around this, though I still don't have sound in this case.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #zubgubblers-0 | 2018-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey all, wanted to introduce my latest PICO-8 project: ZUBGUBBLERS!

ZUBGUBBLERS is my take on a minimal party game for 2-4 players heavily inspired by the classic game Qix, Splatoon, with additional inspiration from Frank DeMarco's Seam of the Vultures. I wanted to avoid using sprites for the most part and just leverage lines, boxes, and fills.

The goal is to paint as much of the background your color by the time the game is over. You do so by holding button 1 (Z) to expand a box around your player. Releasing the button paints the background your pattern; however, you can also hold a direction and dash (X) into other players. If another player dashes into your box while you are expanding it, the background is painted their color!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I notice that the YouTube field of the BBS profile only accepts alphanumeric characters, and whatever is entered becomes a link of the form www.youtube.com/<alphanumericfield>. I'm mostly ignorant of how this part of YouTube works, but my understanding is that not everyone can reserve a youtube.com/<alphanumericfield> URL. You need a certain number of followers, have qualifying channel art, etc. Everyone gets a www.youtube.com/channel/<randomlyassignedalphanumeric> channel URL, but I can't enter that into my BBS profile and get a working link.

There's some history with G+ URLs that I've forgotten the details of. It looks like anyone can reserve a www.youtube.com/c/<alphanumericfield> URL. At least I have one, not sure how. But I can't enter that in either.

I think the YouTube profile field needs to accept more values and/or provide hints in the profile form on how to link a profile to a channel.

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->