BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #balloblock-6 | 2024-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #salamancer_10-0 | 2024-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

v0.2.6b
The hide_mouse_cursor feature is very buggy. That is the option that makes the mouse cursor disappear while typing in the PICO-8 editor. Length in seconds can be configured in config.txt but the problem is there even with the default of 5 sec.

On startup it works but after a while of coding it stops working at all. I posted this before but deleted my post because the steps I gave to reproduce didn't always make it happen. So it's hard for me to say exactly when it stops working. But I think that everyone here will notice if they pay attention, that after a some time working on a game, the mouse cursor will remain in the way while typing.

If you ctrl-r ctrl-r it will start working again. But if you type something at the command prompt and say, get a syntax error, or even just ls to show whats in the directory, or cls(), most of the time (but not always!) when you esc back to the editor it will be broken and the mouse will show even while you are typing. This will persist for the rest of the session. ctrl-r TWICE seems to reset it, but once is not enough.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I saw a neat algorithm for generating mazes on YouTube called "Origin Shift" and tried it out in PICO-8. Works pretty good!

This first cartridge generates a maze and puts a player inside it. You can move around. Pressing X will generate a new maze. The algorithm guarantees that any cell in the maze is reachable from all the other cells. So you can regenerate the maze around the player without worrying that they'll be trapped.

Maybe this becomes a game; maybe not.

Cart #origin_shift_maze-0 | 2024-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This second cartridge was for debugging. The idea with Origin Shift is that the maze is a directed tree graph with a root, or origin. You start with a very simple "maze" and then iterate a bunch of times, moving the origin around, swapping pointers to ensure the whole thing stays a directed tree graph. But my code wasn't working, so I needed to visualize what was happening better...

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Looking within the birds.p64 demo:

-- draw mask -- display pixels that have one of these bits set are drawn
-- 0 means draw all pixels
poke(0x547d, 0b00111111)

For a windowed app, this poke means that black (0x0) is not drawn to the screen at all. If we use cls(0) at the top of _draw(), then our entire background is effectively transparent, though the underlying color at those pixels is still 0. if we use a custom color table, gfx ops over the background will consider the "target color" to be 0 as well.

Is there a way to use the underlying desktop pixels as the target instead? This could be used to create some fun effects on the desktop: i'm imagining translucent windows, sophisticated shadows, additive blending...

0 comments

Cart #titigohafu-0 | 2024-10-16 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Again recreated PICO-8 cartridges

1 comment

Cart #bikagititi-0 | 2024-09-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #wunodinoja-5 | 2024-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

not really a game yet

things i need to add:

• fix collision/hitbox
  • more fluid player movement
  • map saving?
0 comments

Cart #borurisajo-0 | 2024-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

not exactly sure how to layout the code, but so far i have these:
in the init_game, level=1
when the level 2/3/4 door is entered, the level is set to 2/3/4
but, im not exactly sure how to make the code work for the checkpoint. how can i fix this??

AND BEFORE I FORGET how can i make the level 4 camera work?

10 comments

Hi!
Sorry If m last posts were aggressive or just have'nt done anything in a while.

Atari, Being a low level game console, I was wondering If that could happen In P-8.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

9 comments

Cart #escape_the_hive-4 | 2024-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sorry all I have messed up the upload and have uploaded the wrong game ,but it is fixed now.
This is a game based on Ridley Scott's Alien Franchise. The main character's sprite is a re-coloration of Celeste Classic's player sprite.

Your name is Ellen Ripley. You have just killed the Alien Queen. Now escape the hive.

Please comment any suggestions to get the creative juices flowing, also please comment anything I need to fix. Thanks!

2 comments

Cart #flipside-1 | 2024-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here is Thinkfun's Flip-Side puzzle in the Pico-8 engine. Very minimal I know.

0 comments

Cart #bafayatuki-0 | 2024-10-15 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Recration of Waves demo by zep in PICO-8 command "install_demos"
Is my frist Picotron cartridge

0 comments

A teeny-tiny little look-see on how the game might look.

0 comments

WIP gif of "The Counts are enraged!" - a Shmup I'm working on

0 comments

Here is my first Pong game, Picopong! I put a lot of my time into this, so I hope you enjoy it!

How to play

Diving right in, the gameplay of Picopong is a little more then a bit simple.

Superballs

See this meter? Well, fill it up by hitting the ball and a Superball occurs! The ball will fly into the opposite direction of the enemy, which is near impossible to block. Score!

Speeding

Hold Z when the meter is filled up a little, and you will get a speed boost! Be careful though, as using this drains the meter fast.

Credits

The music was created by Fettuccini and Packbat, who put two amazing soundtracks in the Pico-8 music jam, and everything else was from me... @derpyworm2.

Code

The code in this is very messy and unreadable, so if anyone finds a better way for coding anything, that would be great. Feedback is appreciated!

Cart #picopongv1-0 | 2024-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->