BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about de-making Xblast, a linux clone of bomberman that allows up to 6 players at the same time.
Here's a early WIP screenshot :

What I'm worried about now is the 6 players local game play.
On paper, Pico-8 has native support of up to 8 controllers.
I wrote a simple cart that just highlights in red the active buttons of the 8 controllers.
Could anyone confirm that this actually works for up to six controllers before I go further into the dev ?
I'm a bit worried as I've never encountered a pico8 game that plays with more than two controllers at the same time so far.
If you get it it to highlight buttons of players 3 to 7, could you please tell me how you set it up ?

Cart #zuhapiheku-0 | 2024-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #feparabona-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Self-explanatory! Have fun with this janky little game.

0 comments

Cart #fresh_dvd_bounce-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bounce bounce, don't go too fast!

1 comment

3 and a half months ago, I had a silly idea of "What if Celeste was randomized?". So, I started to work on a little proof of concept, and I really liked it, so I kept improving and adding more content to the point that it really should be shown to the world.

So, here it is. Celeste Randomizer. A cart-mod of Celeste-Classic that randomizes the entire game with a variety of in-game settings to select from.

Cart #celeste_randomizer-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Original celeste game made by Maddy Thorson and Noel Berry

Randomizer Options

• Seed customization, allowing for people to play the same seed (maybe for races?)
  • Changing player spawning or even have multiple at once!
  • Berry placement, or none at all
  • Changing the map to be vanilla, random tiles, or even procedural generated!
  • Changing background and spike tile placements
  • Game modes to select from
  • Custom player graphics!
6 comments

Cart #salamancer_03-0 | 2024-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #hal9000heaven-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I got this idea a week or so ago and got curious if Speako8 could sing. Turns out it can! It's my homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey. The idea is Hal 9000 is now in heaven with Daisy, (who of course was built by Bell Labs) on a bicycle built for two.

Thanks to @bikibird for speako8, making this possible.

2 comments

Cart #thunder_castle-3 | 2024-10-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Pico-8 remake of the glorious Thunder Castle by INTV Corporation (1985) for Intellivision, with some quality-of-life improvements.

Manual

The vintage game manual is available as PDF file in the Thunder Castle Itch.io page here

TL;DR

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ move
⭕️/❎ [Z,X,C,V] Action button

Touch the flashing creatures (bats, rat and skull) to energize your knight in order to slay all the guardians (Dragon, Sorcerers and Demons). Collect and use at your advantage the magic objects that appear (details in the manual above or in the Pause/Enter menu choose "CHEAT SHEET" for a quick in-game help).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #b9f-7 | 2024-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple fighting game.

---You start on the -9 floor
---Fight your way to the 1 floor.

Control:

Arrow keys to move

Z to dash

X to attack

also support gampad

update:

• add a menu item that can close the flashing effect
  • add a epilepsy warning in the begining
  • change the cover image and the lable image
7 comments

Cart #perpetual_calendar-6 | 2024-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A calendar for when you need to know what day of the week any date is on but don't want to leave Pico-8 for some reason

⬆️/⬇️ change year
⬅️/➡️ change month
❎/🅾️ change day
❎+🅾️ toggle day highlight

Allows years between -32767 and 32767 because why not?

Disclaimer: This is NOT a historically accurate calendar. This is a Proleptic Gregorian Calendar, a calendar which gives Gregorian dates to all days, including those before it was introduced on October 15th, 1582. Credit to @RealShadowCaster for pointing this out to me

10 comments

Cart #oscars_adventure-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect coins and race against the clock as you traverse 4 unique levels in Oscar's Adventure! Do you have what it takes to beat the fastest times?

Controls

Action Keyboard
Move Left/Right
Jump Z/C
Crouch Down
Slide Down + X
Pause Enter/P

Pro Tips

• When you jump while performing a slide you can carry the speed of the slide into the air. Try using this technique to reach those hard-to-get coins.
  • Press Pause to access some additional options, like toggling the ghost player and Restarting the level.

• The Gold medal is the fastest time you can view for each level, but there is another hidden medal that's even faster than Gold. Do you have what it takes to beat the Platinum time?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #sogahugasu-0 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

hey everyone, having some trouble.
im trying to make it so that when you collect the emerald a bit into the first level, it prints "gem get!" next to it.
however, when I collect it, nothing happens.
i would also like the text to disappear after a few seconds. how would I do that?

the emerald code is in tab 5 under function upickups2(). apologies if any of the code is difficult to read, I'm pretty new to this.

also, any further feedback for the game is much appreciated!

(please don't mind the door sprites at the beginning of the level, its just for debug purposes so that I can test level 2 quickly!)

11 comments

Cart #degbunne-4 | 2024-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cocktail Hour

Inspired by true events, Cocktail Hour is a game built to prepare you for real life social events. Your mission: sneak around a party venue and eat as many delicious hors d'oeuvres as you can while avoiding having a conversation with anyone.

However, Aunt Ethel hasn't seen you since before you left for college and she's determined to ensure you miss every single Pig-in-a-blanket and slider and shrimp cocktail there is.

Run, hide, and eat.

Controls

Move using the arrow keys.
X allows you to grab food, only while standing still.

Tips

• When you grab food your score multiplier increases by one. However, entering a conversation can reduce your multiplier or eliminate it completely with bad timing.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #adventur_p-0 | 2024-10-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect keys and open doors to reach the win flag!
(don't be satisfied with finishing the game wink wink)

My first attempt with Pico-8
I followed MBoffin (Dylan Bennet) tutorial on the top-down adventure game

CONTROLS

Arrows - Movement
X - Inventory
Z - Close dialogue

2 comments

Cart #jprint_bc-1 | 2024-10-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Japanese is output using a custom font.
Also, voiced consonants and semi-voiced consonants(濁点・半濁点) are adjusted to be placed at the top of the characters.

jprint('かわいい いちこ゛た゛いふく さん♥',14) -- Usage is the same as for print().

You can view the Character set from the menu.

2 comments

--functionsetup
playeranim = 1
timer = 0

function _init()
end

function animspr(x, y, fps, start_frame, end_frame)
    timer = timer + 1
    if timer >= 30 / fps then
        playeranim = playeranim + 1
        if playeranim > end_frame then
            playeranim = start_frame
        end
        timer = 0
    end
    spr(playeranim, x, y)
end

function _update()
end

function _draw()
    cls()
    animspr(60, 60, 4, 1, 3)
end

how this works: animspr(x, y, fps, start_frame, end_frame)

0 comments

Cart #towimazoke-0 | 2024-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hi, this is Kokins, my entry for Ludum Dare #56.

The theme of the jam was "tiny creatures" and I decided to go for a virtual pet game, similar to Tamagotchi which I played as a kid. In the game, you care and raise a kokin, a cute small creature.

There are two goals in the game:

• Raise your kokins until they reach adulthood and they can live on their own in the kokin reserve.
  • Collect all kokins! Depending on how you raise your kokin it will grow up in a different way. Can you find them all? :)

Cart #kokins-0 | 2024-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #smash_the_scorpions-2 | 2024-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Smash The Scorpions!

A silly game for Ludum Dare 56, the theme of which is "Tiny Creatures."

Directions to move. Any action button to swing your hammer. See how long you can last!

Changelog:

• 2024-10-11 - fixed walk speed bug. added some extra graphical effects. increased the blood!
2 comments

Cart #romihisoki-0 | 2024-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everyone.
First of all, I apologise if my code is a mess. I am learning to code and although stuff sometimes work, I don't fully understand why.

I am doing a game with a procedural map where there are buildings, and each building might or might not be a level. When generating the buildings I attach a level object to it if it is a level and I am printing underneath the ones that are levels, as well as the x and y coordinates and what level number it is.

The game is meant to have the following objects and relationships
Player (obvious)
A Building object > a level object > a combos object > multiple combos objects

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->