BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #cozmicchaos-0 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cozmic Chaos

Overview

This is a small wave based Bullet Hell Shmup i developed in order to learn development in pico 8.
I used the Lazy Devs Shmup tutorial series on Youtube for reference, so huge shout out to them.

In this game you will fight through 9 waves of enemies getting progressively tougher before taking on the final boss.

Controls

Arrow keys - Move your ship around.
O Button - Fires your concentrated shot. This is high damage but slows your movement.
X Button - Fires your spread shot. This has a wide range and fast movement speed.
Cancels - Pressing both fire buttons together will perform a bullet cancel however this will cost one full meter, these are essential for high scores.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a standalone function I've been using in my recent PICO-8 projects called loopi (LoopIndex).

It's designed to loop an index across a specified range based on the elapsed time, making it really handy for animations or any time-sensitive indexing. The function also includes an optional 'invert' feature, which creates a smooth back-and-forth motion.

Here's the snippet (46 tokens):

function loopi(range, delay, invert)
    local idx = flr((time() / delay) % (invert and 2 * (range - 1) or range))
    if invert and idx >= range then
        idx = 2 * (range - 1) - idx
    end
    return idx    
end

Minified (42 tokens):

function loopi(r,d,i)local x=flr(time()/d)%(i and 2*(r-1)or r)return i and min(x,2*(r-1)-x)or x end

Note: If you don't want to tie the timings to the time() output, you can replace it with something else or by adding a new argument - Otherwise, it works nicely as a standalone function :)

Example Usage:

Let's say you want to cycle through sprites at positions 5 to 8 based on time. You can use loopi to calculate the appropriate sprite index:

function _update()
    -- Loop through sprite indexes 5 to 8 every 0.5 seconds without inversion
    sprite_index = 5 + loopi(4, 0.5, false)
end

This setup will continuously loop the sprite index from 5 to 8, changing every 0.5 seconds. If you want the sprites to animate forward and then backward (like a ping-pong effect), just set the invert parameter to true.

Demo:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #pathofaratron-0 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The game is also available on nusan.itch.io/path-of-aratron

In Path of Aratron, you can send a little demon to visit Dreams. You can control the demon by placing stones on Glyphs.

Each stone is part of a path and will trigger one after the other once you start the summoning ritual.

Solve 25 puzzles of increasing difficulty, you will need to carefully plan ahead and reuse part of your stones, as you don't have an infinite number of them.

This is a programming game inspired by the game Lightbot, it has been made in 72h for Ludum Dare 55

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #mouches-1 | 2024-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Don’t let flies ruin your sleep. Summon a skeleton and let it throw a book to make silence reign.

With a keyboard, press C to jump and press X to grab and throw the book. On the shelves you can press the bottom button to lower

There are 3 waves, it’s a really short game crafted with pico 8.

It's a post jam version with a few small modifications that I made following comments from ludum dare players :

1. the arrow that indicates the book is still present
  1. When the skeleton is in the summoning point, the flies cannot come, a red square appears to signify this

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #gameoflife1-2 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

There are two modes: running and paused

• Z: Switch between the modes

In running mode (default)

• X: Randomize the cells
  • Left/Right: Adjust the speed of the automation

In paused mode

• X: Toggle cell state
  • Left/Right/Up/Down: Move cursor

Rules

This is a simple implementation of Conway's Game of Life.

Credits

Made by me. My very first cart! Pico 8 is awesome :D

0 comments

Cart #hotwax-5 | 2024-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

vvv Ludum Dare jam version here! vvv

Cart #hotwax-3 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(for anyone rating LD games!)

Description:

You are the Wax Whisperer. Your powers may well be unmatched, but some of your enemies are still out there… Not for much longer though, not with what your are about to unleash.

Burn continuous lines of candles to score points! The longer the fire survives the more points it brings you, and the closer it brings you to unfathomable power from this mysterious temple you’ve found your way to!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Seizure / Epilepsy Warning: Flickering Images!

Intellectual Property Disclaimer: Popcorn by Gershon Kingsley is not my Intellectual Property, my use of this song probably falls into the "Fair Use" (see: remix / sampling / performance) legal doctrine, I did not write "Popcorn" for God sake.

This was one of my first forays into Pico-8 programming a couple years ago that wasn't focused on sprite animations and was originally just some bouncing balls and some screen effects with no music. I felt like posting it here but thought it could use some enhancements so this is the latest revision.

Controls:

• O holds orbs that contact the ground and launches them upon release.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Welcome, intern. The company has taken your application in a positive light, you may join the ranks immediately.
Many of our current employees have been looking forward to having a new handyman, we hope you can deliver!

X to dash
o to interact and work!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/55/summon-the-intern

Cart #summontheintern-1 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

This is my entry for Ludum Dare 55, Diablillos, a fast-paced game in which you have to be quick to summon your imps and defeat your rival summoner.

Cart #diablillos-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Note: You need a mouse to be able to play this game.

If you could play and rate the game in the Ludum Dare website, I'd highly appreciate it! Likewise, if you joined the jam, please give me a shout so I can play your game.

You can read a dev log in GIFs at the Ludum Dare website as well.

2 comments

A second take on the minesweeper game. Priginally made in 2 hours and polished a couple of months later.

D-pad - navigate
X - Reveal tile
O - mark tile as flagged

Reveal numbered tiles when there are enough flags around it to reveal all neighboring unflagged tiles.

Cart #collin_minesweeper_1-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Hi,

I love tinkering around in Pico-8, but I'm certainly not a competent programmer and just hack things together using spaghetti code for my own amusement.

In my day job, I work as an innovation manager for a technology company, and we have an internal innovation programme where we fund good ideas from people within the business, which we think will either provide commmercial benefits to the organisation, or provide reputational benefit.

One idea submitted recently was for an app/game to demonstrate "sustainability" (can't really go into more detail here). To test the concept, I knocked up a very crude prototype in Pico-8, which resulted in funding being released to develop a more throrough proof of concept app, using an external developer on iOS.

This was delivered and we are now at the point of deciding upon next steps in its development. Various options have been suggested, ranging from developing the game/app as a full desktop app, continuing development on iPad for iOS, developing for an Android tablet, or producing a web based version. Its all up for grabs.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

The first gangofthree Ludum Dare game is released! Enjoy!

Try to beat the evil wizard by summoning monsters of the right element. Play multiple times for a chance of other levels.

Cart #sumwizard-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

SOOOOOO...
I got sick of making overly easy games to practice and get better
so i decided to start making small visual demos instead.
i have found that it is much more effective for me!
and ive gotten a LOT better in the past couple weeks in my opinion.
so here are my 2 main ones. enjoy!
tell me what u think!

Cart #lighttrail-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #fireandwater-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #trufflepig_jam-1 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Truffle Pig

I little minesweeper clone I made for Mini Jam 156!

The theme was "mushroom" and my mind immediately went to truffle pigs (oink). The limitation was "stuck in a loop", which I barely met by making the level a literal loop. I had planned to make it a commentary by being stuck in a loop of labour exploitation under the capitalist whims of a greedy chef but, you know, jams.

Have fun!

0 comments

Hi!

It’s been ages since I did anything for Ludum Dare. This time the theme was “Summoning”, so this is my attempt at a puzzle game where you need to complete a pentacle in order to summon whatever it is you summon. I did not spend too much time on this and could not find game mechanics that were both fun and challenging, so don’t expect anything great…

Left/Right arrows: browse runes (in select mode) or rotate rune (in placement mode)
Z/C: select rune (in select mode) or place rune (in placement mode)
X: cancel rune placement and return to select mode

Compo entry page is here.

Cart #pent8cle-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #flying_buttress_ld54-0 | 2024-04-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Flying Buttress (noun):

1. In architecture, a type of arch that extends from the outside of a building.
  2. A female butler who happens to be flying on this particular day.

You've been summoned by the bell! Collect items (or not) and reach the bell as fast as you can! Z to jump, X to dive. When you hit the ground while diving, you start rolling. Build up speed by rolling, diving, and wall jumping to carry yourself to the end! Make sure to post your fastest times below!

Made for Ludum Dare 55.

3 comments

Cart #gpong-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little Pong game I made for a friend! Use X and O to give the ball its own negative or positive gravity every time it hits your paddle. The gravity the ball is under will reduce by 10% every time it hits a side wall. The game ends when one of the players scores 11 points. Other than that, it's Pong!

0 comments

Cart #ld55_cat_and_box-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

There are boxes on your way to the yellow portal! However you are too weak to push the boxes yourself, so you summon some cats to push the boxes for your. But the cats are somehow stupid and they always push the boxes to the very end...

Also, you need to open the doors with green switches on the floor!

Arrow key to move/select summon position

Z to start summoning cat

Enter to bring up a menu for restart or go back to title

An entry for ludum dare 55

ludum dare link

3 comments

Cart #rezleste-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #kusosolitaire-1 | 2024-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a small Solitaire-Variant, based on italian Triestine-Cards. The Deck goes from 1-13, but without cards 8, 9, 10. Normal-ish soltaire-rules apply. You can stack cards by alternating suits.

"Kuso" (Originally Croatian "Kušo", say it like KOOSH-OH, which kinda means "friend") is my grandpas nickname, who basically sits on his terrace in Croatia all day, playing solitaire with triestine–cards.

I used one secret color, the darker green.

Thanks for Playing!

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->