BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

Cart #hm118_bailout_v1-4 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You have been summoned to make an appearance at court before noon and pay a fine for the crime of skateboarding. Except you don’t have any money and noon is only a couple of minutes away! Skateboard around the city gathering as much loose change as you can find and make it to the courthouse in time. Just don't get caught skating again by the cops!

Controls

Arrow Keys - Move
X - Get on and off your board
C - Drop a doughnut to distract the cops chasing you

3 comments

Cart #deckblitz-0 | 2024-04-14 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

load #deckblitz-0

strongly recommended!

Deck Blitz

A new full-game experience for Picotron! Deck Blitz is a deckbuilding race to the finish for one to four players (hotseat). This game is a tribute to The Quest for El Dorado board game. I am quite content with where this project ended up over the last 2 weeks, though if people enjoy it I would happily expand upon it. (special cards/handmade maps/map editor/controller support/clean code).

Picotron has been a blast so far. Excited to make more games and see what everyone is whipping up. Let me know your high scores :)

As for my high scores!

Best Round: 17
Best Time: 2:39:28

2 comments

Cart #preserve_v1-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game jam game from a while ago. It's a little buggy but I'm happy with it.

0 comments

Cart #stag21-1 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Changelog:

• made the spikes look goofier and more represent their hitboxes
  • added more particles to orbs and made them jump automatically
  • made changes to level 4
  • made a message when you collect enough tokens for level 4

Prev Version:
V1:

Cart #kudigimina-0 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V2:
[hidden]
Cart #kudigimina-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #adventure_island_wip-2 | 2024-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little Adventure Island (or Wonder Boy for some of you) -like that I have been working on. I want to test it easily on my Rg353, and its just easier to grab it from SPLORE than to do the whole song and dance with an sd card.

It might be buggy! And no sound yet! Lemme know what you think.

July 20, 2024: So, life has been quite busy! New job! Baby coming in two months! My new job has been very intellectually fulfilling, so, sadly, I have not been doing a lot of gamedev. But I really want to finish this game! Uploading a new version:

• soundtrack!
  • tons of sound effects!
  • new name! Cobb's Adventure!
  • lots of little tweaks here and there.

At this point, all i really want to to is spiff up the boss and maybe add some scoreboards. I think it's pretty fun.

3 comments

Cart #jongtelling_wp-1 | 2024-04-15 | Embed ▽ | No License

Fortune telling with mahjong tiles.

• When three tiles line up, it's a 暗刻 Anko
  • When all four tiles are aligned, it's called 暗槓 Ankan
  • When a pair is formed, it becomes a 対子 Toitsu
  • There is also a secret combination.

It's not real mahjong.

save /appdata/system/wallpapers/jongtelling_wp.p64
Please save it and use it.

release note

v0.11

• fixed YAKU sprite
  • add when matched to YAKU.

v0.1

• first release
0 comments

Cart #popcorn_beasties-1 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Popcorn Beasties is a button masher game. Try to mash the button to keep beasties in the room. Beastie sprites and names are procgened, so don't expect to play the same game twice!

If you're bored, you can switch or move the active beastie too.

The beasties procgen algorithm was originally created without a game a few months ago: https://tilde.zone/@alanxoc3/111673852422942696

This was made for the Trijam #265.

Gamefreakfatty worked with me on the code.

Tigerwolf181 was responsible for the popcorn machine sprite.

And I made the annoying song... Enjoy! (or don't)

Also available on itch.io: https://alanxoc3.itch.io/popcorn-beasties

0 comments

Hi,
I'm sussing out some basic map collision utilizing fget(mget()) as one would for Pico-8 and I'm running into an issue where either large sprites aren't working correctly, or it's PEBKAC.
Specifically, it seems checking flags on any sprite that isn't 16x16 doesn't return the correct values, and any larger map sprite only reports correct flags for its upper left 16x16 corner. Smaller sprites

I've created a barebones sample to test this out after noticing in a proper project.
The gray squares are 16x16 for visual alignment. Yellow is a 32x32 player sprite, with each collision point along its edges visualized with pink. The other colored sprites are directly part of the map and and go from 16x16, 32x32, and 64x64. On collision, the point of contact (with the player's edge points) is added to a global render list for its own visualization, simple pink dots as well. We can see on each sprite that the TL 16x16 is the only point of contact.

Outside of the provided image, I also have my cart now rendering the actual sprite contacted in the upper left of the screen to confirm it's hitting what it thinks it is. I also did some toying around with further visualizations to get an idea of where my collider/mget thinks we're hitting, but it all seems cogent.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #tline3drot_example-0 | 2024-04-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cartridge is an example of the tline3d rotation algorithm!

I adapted this code from @freds72 's PICO-8 sprite rotation algorithm with tline(). They also helped me with some small edits via the Picotron Discord! You can check out freds' cart here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=37561

Here's the uncommented version to add to your project files (I'd recommend making a new file, such as rspr.lua, then including that file in your project to keep your own code clean):

-- rspr.lua
function rspr(sprite,cx,cy,sx,sy,rot)
	sx = sx and sx or 1
	sy = sy and sy or 1
	rot = rot and rot or 0
	local tex = get_spr(sprite)
	local dx,dy = tex:width()*sx,tex:height()*sy

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=146575#p)
5 comments

Cart #tiny_rain-0 | 2024-04-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple wallpaper with the rain effect and animations I made for Tiny Ronin (PICO-8).

Make sure you have already created your personal system folder inside Picotron and copy tiny-rain.p64.png to appdata/system/wallpapers/ and/or appdata/system/screensavers/

Go to the system settings inside Picotron and select "tiny rain" as wallpaper or screensaver.

Enjoy.

0 comments

Cart #welcometobulletheck-3 | 2024-04-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome To BulletHeck

Welcome To BulletHeck is a small Rougelike game focused on randomized items and conserving energy. Energy is consumed by both shooting (x) and sprinting (z) and running out will cause the player to slow down for a short time. New guns and items can be discovered as you progress as well as stat upgrades that can be bought from shops. The only objective is to reach floor 10 and fight the boss.

Weapons

Weapons can be found in chests scattered around the map. Each gun has perks and disadvantages so there isn't really a best option. Each run you could be given different guns so try and experiment!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #sliderpuzz-4 | 2024-04-18 | Embed ▽ | No License

Just a tiny slide puzzle game

Controls:

"Z" key or "O" button to shuffle the puzzle
"X" key or "X" button to play the puzzle
"A,W,S,D" keys or direction buttons to move the tiles
"G" key to toggle grid

0 comments

A thread to post your musical experiments in Picotron.

Cart #oneinstrument-0 | 2024-04-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Picotron always registers keyboard as player 0, and gamepad as player 1.

Even when I boot picotron with the gamepad already plugged in, it gets assigned as if it were a second player (player 1), instead of mirroring the input of the first player (player 0).

Is that intended?

To work around this, I've been using this to check for both players when handling my input checks:

if btnp(0, 0) or btnp(0, 1) then
    -- do whatever I need 
end
0 comments

Cart #walkeste-0 | 2024-04-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

i'll post solutions for harder levels later ):

4 comments

I'm trying to make a simple text-adventure game within the terminal (using the arrow keys as input), but the print() functions for the various options aren't kept permanently on screen.
What am I doing wrong here?

cls(0)

--   	left = "80"
--   	up = "82"
--   	right = "79"
--   	down = "81"

print("Press a key:")	
for kp = 79,81 do
   	if key(80) and key(kp) then print("left")
	elseif key(81) and key(kp) then print("center")
	elseif key(79) and key(kp) then print("right")	
	end	
end
3 comments

Cart #lnlybrand-0 | 2024-04-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

EVERY WEEK FOR THE MONTH OF MAY I WILL BE CHOOSING A WINNER WITH
THE HIGHEST SCORE SUMBITED EVERY FRIDAY
PERSON WITH THE HIGHEST SCORE WINS A FREE SHIRT FROM LNLYBRAND.COM
SEND A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR SCORE TO
[email protected]
YOU WILL BE EMAILED A CODE THAT CAN BE USED AT CHECK OUT
FIRST WINNNER WILL BE PICKED MAY 3RD

MADE THIS IN 2 HOURS. NOT PERFECT

1 comment

PROBLEM>>>
I purchased Pico8 for Windows and Raspberry Pi. I am having trouble getting my Powkiddy Q36 mini to run the Raspberry Pi version of Pico8.

WHAT I'VE TRIED>>>
It shows up in the Gmenu2x Launcher but just returns a 'can't execute this file' error. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

4 comments

Cart #clocks_bgm-0 | 2024-04-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first Picotron cart that is not a modification of others'.

This cart plays my cover of Clocks, originally by Coldplay. It also draws media player-like static graphics. Song cover was made using instrument pack made by @abledbody.

0 comments

I made it as easy to use and as performant as I could. You certainly won't be getting the performance boost normally associated with an ECS, since that particular optimization doesn't exist in picotron, but you'll still get the architecture.

Here's a demo which showcases its use.

Cart #able_ecs-2 | 2024-05-10 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You can find the latest version and the documentation on github.
https://github.com/abledbody/picotron-ECS-framework/releases/
https://github.com/abledbody/picotron-ECS-framework/blob/main/README.md

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->