BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Postcarts | Off-site

What is the reload() function or how do I load a .P8 file into a game. Or can I not do that?

5 comments

a prototype for a Rain World inspired procedurally animated ecosystem

explore the ecosystem ive made as a spirit that can possess (X) and unpossess (X + Z held) creatures to control them

CONTROLS

• X | spirit - possess | spider - swipe (pick up objects/attack) | fly - attach/detach
  • Z | spider - drop held object
  • Z (held) | spider - spin web (use X to place ends of the web)
  • X + Z (held) | spirit - unpossess

Cart #pig_iron_demo-0 | 2024-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #zejufimadu-0 | 2024-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Use the up and down arrow keys to move across the center line.

Cross the moving line for bonus points.

3 comments

Cart #mandelbrot_set-0 | 2024-04-12 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

WARNING - This takes a ~10s to render so please be patient :P

A naive approach to rendering the Mandelbrot set.
I made this because I wanted to get a better understanding of the maths behind it, so I focused on making the code readable, not fast.

You can customise the colour by changing the parameters of the 'Gradient' function at the top of _init.

You could use this as a screensaver if you really wanted, but I wouldn't recommend it due to how long it takes to load...

0 comments

Cart #yuwonabare-0 | 2024-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Hello! This is my first post here :)

I've played around with Picotron in the past week and have some suggestions and ideas that I'll throw here:

• Userdata Views - I can make a whole post about this alone, but basically I'd really like userdata to work like numpy, based around views. This is a generalization of slices (also in 2d), casting to different data types, reversing of userdata, looking at every other value, and much more. This allows code to be a lot more generic and easier to understand, and by having it be builtin to the way userdata works it ensures the obvious and clean code is cheaper in terms of cpu time.
  • Mixed Types Userdata Operations - For example, matrix multiplication currently only works on two f64 userdata, and I came up with a cool usecase for f64 * u8 -> u8 matrix multiplication to efficiently do base64 encoding:

I can't think of an intuitive default for a result type or good way to let the user choose it...

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #wormhole_cd-0 | 2024-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Important:
This game is very fast and contains fullscreen flashing effects. Flashes can be disabled by turning on the "reduce flash" option in the pause menu (-/enter).

The only way out

is through...

Blast your path to freedom and high scores measured in lightyears! Inspired by classic F-Zero games and Pico-8 bangers like BAS.

Features:

• Incredible speed!
  • An evolving wormhole generated by multiple cross-modulating oscillators.
  • Probably more control schemes than are necessary.
  • The most metal soundtrack I could squeeze out of Pico-8. 🤘

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #hansecat-1 | 2024-04-12 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I created a small cat wallpaper that looks at your cursor and blinks if the cursor gets near.

0 comments

Hello everyone, how are you doing? I'm trying to do something here and if you guys could help me somehow it'd be nice, I'm already grateful for your attention.

The thing is I was able to achieve the "rotation around a point" for Sprites ( in this case a circle ), but the issue is that I want to have multiple objects rotating around a point while starting at different "steps" of the rotation itself ( I'm attaching a image to explain it in more detail).

The code I'm using is the following:

MAIN.LUA

--sincos math

timer=0

scr={
	w=128,
	h=128
}

opt={
	spd=.5
}

pix={
	c=12,
	x=0,
	y=0
}

cir={
	timer=0,
	a=false,
	spd=.5,
	init=3,
	o=20,
	c=12,
	x=0,
	y=0,
	r=6
}

function _init()
	cir.x=scr.w/2
	cir.y=scr.h/2
	pix.x=scr.w/2
	pix.y=scr.h/2
end

function _draw()
	cls(1)
	pset(pix.x,pix.y,pix.c)
	print("speed "..opt.spd)
	for entry in all(circles) do
		circ(entry.x,entry.y,entry.r,entry.c)
	end
end

function _update60()

update_keys()

for entry in all(circles) do
			entry.timer+= entry.spd/60
			entry.x= pix.x+cos(entry.timer)*entry.o
			entry.y= pix.y-sin(entry.timer)*entry.o
	end

if(keys.down) then opt.spd-=.1
	elseif(keys.up) then opt.spd+=.1	end

if(keys.right) then pix.x+=1 end
	if(keys.left) then pix.x-=1 end

if(keys.activate) then
			make_circle(pix.x,pix.y,opt.spd,15,12)
		end

if(keys.delete) then
			circles={}
		end
end

-- methods --

-- make_circle(x,y,s,o,c)

UTILS.LUA

--utils

circles={}

function make_circle(x,y,s,o,c)
	local obj={
		timer=0,
		a=false,
		spd=s,
		o=o,
		c=c,
		x=x,
		y=y,
		r=6
	}

add(circles,obj)
end

function update_keys()
 keys={
		activate=btnp(🅾️),
		delete=btnp(❎),
		right=btn(1),
		down=btnp(3),
		left=btn(0),
		up=btnp(2),
	}
end

Thanks in advance for any help and have a good day!

3 comments

SpritePaper

A general tool to use sprites a Picotron wallpapers

Cart #spritepaper-0 | 2024-04-12 | Embed ▽ | No License

to begin, simply place the cart at /appdata/system/wallpapers/ and select it as the chosen wallpaper from the Picotron settings.
a settings file will be automatically generated at /appdata/sprite_bg/settings.pod
there is also a readme file inside the cartridge which goes a bit further in depth on what all the settings do

2 comments

Cart #picotroncaster-3 | 2024-04-16 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Edit: updated to include a few more optimisations

This is a simple raycasting demo for Picotron. I wanted to check out the performance. It now manages 60fps most of the time thanks to optimisation suggestions by @freds72 and @Eiyeron. Rays are scaled to one third of the screen width to achieve this.

It is an implementation of the DDA algorithm, which is more efficient than a basic marching forward algorithm. The basic algorithm is included in the package if anyone is interested.

I used the extended palette to dither/darken the colour based on distance which does help to enhance the visuals.

Controls

Move using the arrow keys.
The 2D overlay map can be toggled on and off with the 'Z' key.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Does what it says on the tin. Lets you see what's eating up your CPU time. If you make an extension to this, I'd love to see it.

API:

profile.enabled(detailed,cpu) Turns on and off profiling tools.
detailed: Whether or not to display results of profile calls.
cpu: Whether or not to display total CPU usage.

profile(name,linger) Starts or stops a profile. Accumulates between profile.draw calls. Extremely cheap when profiling is disabled.
name: Arbitrary display name indicating which profile to start or stop.
linger: Whether or not the profile should linger even if the profile is never called between draws.

profile.draw() Draws profile and CPU information to the screen if they are enabled. Extremely cheap when profiling is disabled.

profile.clear_lingers() Clears any lingering profile information.

Example:

include("profiler.lua")

profile.enabled(true,true)

local frames = 0

function _update()
  profile("_update")

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=146421#p)
0 comments

Cart #can-0 | 2024-04-12 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Can, Uncan

Can and Uncan are tools for archiving folders and files.

Use

For easy transfer of a single file, rather than multiple files for the same effect.

Install

Move can.lua and uncan.lua from /ram/cart to /appdata/system/utils.

3 comments

The regular poke memory method to get the coordinates of mouse in pico-8 doesn't work in Picotron, and I want to add buttons that can react to the clinking in my programs, any examples?
usually while I was working in pico-8, I used to create and object and follows the the mouse, and as the object collides with sth, program runs , but can't detect clinking.

7 comments

Cart #bunbomb-0 | 2024-04-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Making my first game on chromebook! I will keep posting. Also made in edu edition of pico 8.

0 comments

Now in stereo!

Cart #lazy_procedural_acid_picotron-3 | 2024-07-25 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a short little proof-of-concept for streaming PCM output in Picotron. Could stand to be streamlined and cleaned up a fair bit (and commented better!), but hopefully this gets the idea across. The idea is to set up a few different sfx instruments playing different wavetables on adjacent rows of a pattern, use stat() calls to track the currently playing row, and update non-playing rows with new samples. There are a few gotchas to work around - setting up the instruments is a little fiddly, and Picotron crossfades instruments between rows so some samples need to be written to multiple instruments.

Use the left and right arrows to change the audio buffer size. Values >=8 seem to work well on web, and it looks like I can go as low as 3 on desktop Picotron on my machine.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Dice

Cart #dice1_0-0 | 2024-04-11 | Embed ▽ | No License

dice

0 comments

Cart #juegofrutas-0 | 2022-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

A screensaver featuring 20 coloured rectangles wiggling around the screen.
Controls are shown on startup.

Cart #madepiyura-0 | 2024-04-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->