BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hello everyone! I'm developing a platformer based on My Hero Academy and for some reason, my player is able to jump while touching a jump-through tile, when they should only be able to jump if they're on top of it.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Code for jumping:

--jump
if btn(❎) and player.landed then
 player.dy-=player.boost
 player.landed=false
end

Code for landing:

if collide_map(player,"down", flags.base) then 
 player.landed=true
 player.falling=false
 player.dy=0
 player.y-=((player.y+player.h+1)%8)-1

Cartridge below 👇

Cart #dusiwguya-0 | 2024-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #lemillion-1 | 2024-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hi! I've reinstalled pico8 into my pocket chip after upgrading it to debian 11 (bullseye) and installing xfce and pico8 (0.2.6b for pocket chip). Everything seems to work fine except for the top icons that are visible but not clickable (I mean.. I click them but nothing happens) so I cannot switch from the code editor to the sprite editor or the SFX editor etc.. is there something i can do?

0 comments

Cart #pocorhythm_husetsugekka-0 | 2024-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICORHYTHM is a beatmania-style music game.
You can play original music inspired by the VOICEVOX character "WhiteCUL".

This is my first attempt to create a game with PICO-8.
Please note that the use of the character is based on the guideline that secondary creation is allowed with a credit statement.

Character: WhiteCUL

URL browser version

--

PICORHYTHMはbeatmania風の音楽ゲームです。
VOICEVOXのキャラクター「WhiteCUL」をイメージしたオリジナル楽曲を演奏することができます。

初めてPICO-8でのゲーム作りにチャレンジしてみました。
なおキャラクター使用につきましてはクレジット記載で二次創作が可能とのガイドラインに基づき使用しております。

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

a remake of crypts of mot

0 comments

Cart #balatrorandom-0 | 2024-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A random deck selector I made for the game Balatro.

1 comment

Cart #hattieadventure-1 | 2024-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #hattieadventure-0 | 2024-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a little game I made based off of the "wander" example.
It was really fun to learn how the pico8 works!

Update:

• When you restart the map now resets.
  • You now have a bark meter which is refilled by eating
  • Mice now have random max speeds to make it a little harder
4 comments

Cart #tline_terrain_demo-0 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tline Terrain Demo

Worms/Scorched Earth deformable/destructible terrain demo.

Arrow keys move target
X to destroy terrain
O to toggle debug mode, showing the vertical slices.

Maybe of use to someone?

For a long time I have wondered how to make Worms/Scorched Earth style terrain and make it work reasonably well. My first ever (unreleased) game on pico-8 was a Worms clone, that used a 2D array of pixels and pset to draw the terrain. It blew the CPU budget and was slooooooow.

Micro Murder on Pico-8 managed a really slick solution drawing circles over the top of the terrain, but I wondered if there was another way. Fast forward some years and I'm still thinking about it. Most discussion about this type of terrain suggests some form of bitmap to store the terrain.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

After a long journey, I'm proud to present to you...

parens-8 v3!

...Along with the obligatory demo, a cart that stores its entire game code in ROM:

Cart #parens8_v3_demo-0 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Parens-8 is a tool for bypassing the pico-8 token limit. It takes up 5% of the allowed 8192 tokens, and gives you practically infinite code space in return: store extra code in strings or cart ROM, load it during init, run it like regular Lua code.

Parens-8 is designed for maximum interoperability with Lua. Functions, tables, values and coroutines can be passed and used seamlessly between Lua and parens-8. Think of parens-8 as Lua semantics with Lisp syntax.

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=142700#p)
1 comment

Cart #pipefish2-5 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Right and left arrow keys to control the wind, X to continue on the same run and Z to restart, loosing all your progres.

Rules

Move the wind for the firefly, guide it through portals to reach the end of the cave. You can not control if the wind is blowing up or down, you control only left and right movments. Collect all the gemstones scatered around the cave.

6 comments

Cart #jax_saves_the_circus-3 | 2024-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Jax Saves the Circus is a fangame based on The Amazing Digital Circus. Play as Jax as you bravely venture to save the circus. After all, what else is there to do? It's not like you can leave.

Explore 3 fun and varied levels.
Meet the friends you already know.
Fall into spikes for the fun of it.
Eat spaghetti! And the fork! And the plate!

Zooble has requested to not be in this game and I am honoring their request.

Left and right arrow keys to move
Hold down to fall through some platforms.
X to jump
Z to interact with NPCs.

Game should be short but sweet.

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback!

CREDITS
Original IP: Glitch Productions and Gooseworx
Text Boxes: profpatonildo
Collision Engine: https://nerdyteachers.com

0 comments

Cart #seizureball-0 | 2024-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #lemillion-1 | 2024-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #oblivion_eve-12 | 2024-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Oblivion Eve

A roguelike action-platformer where you use upgradeable weapons to combo powerful enemies to their doom!

Overcome tough fights, platforming challenges, puzzles, and more in your effort to free the titan who is incarcerated in the shifting prison's depths.

Gameplay Overview

Each time you venture into the shifting prison, the layout of the rooms will be randomized. And there's no map to guide your way, either - you'll need to do your best to navigate as the prison itself fights against you - by moving rooms, making you double back on yourself, and putting powerful enemies in your path.

At the heart of the prison lies an enchained titan, who will fight against your every attempt to free them. For each of the four gems you destroy, you'll break one of the chains binding them. Find the titan four times, shatter all four chains to fully liberate them, and claim victory!

And remember to use your ABC's: Always Be Comboing!

Advanced Overview

[hidden]Each of the five weapons has a different moveset, featuring attacks with varying properties. As you progress through the prison, you'll get the ability to upgrade your attacks, by raising or lowering several properties:

• Size: How large the weapon is, which makes it easier to hit foes.
  • Damage: How much enemy HP the weapon will remove on hit.
  • Meter Gain: How much meter you gain on hit, which transforms you into stronger forms, and allows you to use ultimate attacks.
  • Duration: How long the attack will stay out, making swings spin longer, and stabs go further.
  • Recharge Rate: How long it is until you can use another attack afterwards.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

119 comments

Cart #puzelminesweeper-7 | 2024-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first pico-8 game I finished, and it's minesweeper. Sadly I couldn't recreate the original UI, as the 16x16 difficulty mode covers the entire screen — I had to use something more dynamic. I can't wait to port this to Picotron, since it will be able to display higher difficulties and the full interface :)

update:
Version 2.0 had most of the game logic rewritten, now supporting arbitrary size boards that scroll when needed (for now using the direction buttons). This means expert difficulty is now accessible, and custom difficulties will be possible in the future once I complete the custom game window.

12 comments

Cart #eatwhilelive-0 | 2024-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple arcade game.
This is my first game for pico-8. Feedback welcome.

Control

up, down, left, right - move.
cross or circle - run.
cross + circle - special ability(25 points).

Rules

2 modes:
Speed mode - the speed of fireball increases.
Amount mode - the amount of fireballs increases.

This is simple arcade game. Eat apples and bananas(bonus) to make the great score. Try not to be killed by fire balls.
Eat while live!

4 comments

A version of Conway's Game of Life with some optimizations so it is a little more possible in PICO-8. Requires mouse.
Press X to go step by step.
Press Z to go full speed.
Left click to revive a cell.
Right click to kill a cell.
Move the camera with the arrow keys.

Cart #comotamuchacho-2 | 2024-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Here's a little profiler you can drop into an existing program - if you have 313 tokens to spare.
It instruments the global functions to count the number of calls and measure the CPU time spent inside them. Then it dumps it to a CSV file you can open in a spreadsheet viewer, and hopefully get some insight into where your program is spending the most time.

Instructions are in the comments at the top.

EDIT:

• Count fn calls in a single 32bit integer (thanks @freds72).
  • Use "..." arguments syntax to support more than 9 arguments (thanks @Siapran)
  • Save uninstrumented fns to avoid calling the instrumented ones when dumping stats.
-->8
-- profiler

-- usage:
-- run your program
-- press esc to break
-- > _prof.begin()
-- > resume
-- run your program some more (to gather data)
-- press esc to break
-- > _prof.dump()
-- this will dump a profile.csv file to the cart's folder

-- notes:
-- profiling for more than 2-3 minutes could cause cpu measurements 

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=142589#p)
5 comments

I found out if you execute poke(0x5f55,any valid number not 0x60) on the console, the screen gets remapped to the address but the editor never resets it back once the code is done executing, visually breaking the editor in the process, up until you blindly write the function poke(0x5f55,0x60) to go back to the original screen.

7 comments

I had an idea for a new game. The idea is to grow a bonsai tree using a deck of cards. You will continue to build your deck as your bonsai grows, achieves balance, and gains prestige. I am taking a lot of inspiration from both my love of board games as well as my love for Bonsai horticulture. To make the tree I am creating a map of each branch off the main segment and generating the geometry of the branches on the fly. The game is still in a very early stage of development but I still thought it might be interesting to share the first screenshot.

Next I am going to be adding the foliage and flora before I start working on the deck-building component. Stay tuned.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->