BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #oblivion_eve-12 | 2024-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Oblivion Eve

A roguelike action-platformer where you use upgradeable weapons to combo powerful enemies to their doom!

Overcome tough fights, platforming challenges, puzzles, and more in your effort to free the titan who is incarcerated in the shifting prison's depths.

Gameplay Overview

Each time you venture into the shifting prison, the layout of the rooms will be randomized. And there's no map to guide your way, either - you'll need to do your best to navigate as the prison itself fights against you - by moving rooms, making you double back on yourself, and putting powerful enemies in your path.

At the heart of the prison lies an enchained titan, who will fight against your every attempt to free them. For each of the four gems you destroy, you'll break one of the chains binding them. Find the titan four times, shatter all four chains to fully liberate them, and claim victory!

And remember to use your ABC's: Always Be Comboing!

Advanced Overview

[hidden]Each of the five weapons has a different moveset, featuring attacks with varying properties. As you progress through the prison, you'll get the ability to upgrade your attacks, by raising or lowering several properties:

• Size: How large the weapon is, which makes it easier to hit foes.
  • Damage: How much enemy HP the weapon will remove on hit.
  • Meter Gain: How much meter you gain on hit, which transforms you into stronger forms, and allows you to use ultimate attacks.
  • Duration: How long the attack will stay out, making swings spin longer, and stabs go further.
  • Recharge Rate: How long it is until you can use another attack afterwards.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

120 comments

Cart #puzelminesweeper-7 | 2024-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first pico-8 game I finished, and it's minesweeper. Sadly I couldn't recreate the original UI, as the 16x16 difficulty mode covers the entire screen — I had to use something more dynamic. I can't wait to port this to Picotron, since it will be able to display higher difficulties and the full interface :)

update:
Version 2.0 had most of the game logic rewritten, now supporting arbitrary size boards that scroll when needed (for now using the direction buttons). This means expert difficulty is now accessible, and custom difficulties will be possible in the future once I complete the custom game window.

12 comments

Cart #eatwhilelive-0 | 2024-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple arcade game.
This is my first game for pico-8. Feedback welcome.

Control

up, down, left, right - move.
cross or circle - run.
cross + circle - special ability(25 points).

Rules

2 modes:
Speed mode - the speed of fireball increases.
Amount mode - the amount of fireballs increases.

This is simple arcade game. Eat apples and bananas(bonus) to make the great score. Try not to be killed by fire balls.
Eat while live!

4 comments

A version of Conway's Game of Life with some optimizations so it is a little more possible in PICO-8. Requires mouse.
Press X to go step by step.
Press Z to go full speed.
Left click to revive a cell.
Right click to kill a cell.
Move the camera with the arrow keys.

Cart #comotamuchacho-2 | 2024-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Here's a little profiler you can drop into an existing program - if you have 313 tokens to spare.
It instruments the global functions to count the number of calls and measure the CPU time spent inside them. Then it dumps it to a CSV file you can open in a spreadsheet viewer, and hopefully get some insight into where your program is spending the most time.

Instructions are in the comments at the top.

EDIT:

• Count fn calls in a single 32bit integer (thanks @freds72).
  • Use "..." arguments syntax to support more than 9 arguments (thanks @Siapran)
  • Save uninstrumented fns to avoid calling the instrumented ones when dumping stats.
-->8
-- profiler

-- usage:
-- run your program
-- press esc to break
-- > _prof.begin()
-- > resume
-- run your program some more (to gather data)
-- press esc to break
-- > _prof.dump()
-- this will dump a profile.csv file to the cart's folder

-- notes:
-- profiling for more than 2-3 minutes could cause cpu measurements 

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=142589#p)
5 comments

I found out if you execute poke(0x5f55,any valid number not 0x60) on the console, the screen gets remapped to the address but the editor never resets it back once the code is done executing, visually breaking the editor in the process, up until you blindly write the function poke(0x5f55,0x60) to go back to the original screen.

7 comments

I had an idea for a new game. The idea is to grow a bonsai tree using a deck of cards. You will continue to build your deck as your bonsai grows, achieves balance, and gains prestige. I am taking a lot of inspiration from both my love of board games as well as my love for Bonsai horticulture. To make the tree I am creating a map of each branch off the main segment and generating the geometry of the branches on the fly. The game is still in a very early stage of development but I still thought it might be interesting to share the first screenshot.

Next I am going to be adding the foliage and flora before I start working on the deck-building component. Stay tuned.

0 comments

Cart #catforestadventure11-4 | 2024-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Become a cat and journey through the forest. Thank you to Dylan Bennett for his Top-down adventure game tutorial that gave me a strong foundation.

9 comments

Cart #rainbow_rays-9 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

5 comments

Cart #snakeout-21 | 2024-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You ever think of a title first and work backwards?

Breakout + Snake. Bounce around, eat apples, don't hit your tail, or if you do ... dodge.

Sounds are from Gruber's rad SFX pack. I have a little bit more planned, but happy to have any feedback in the meantime.

14 comments

Cart #kipakedino-0 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #moragridshift-0 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi! I'm Moracan! I've been playing around with PICO-8 for around 2 years now, and today I finally released the "full" version of my game: Grid Shift!

Grid Shift is my version of a pretty popular logic puzzle named Towers, also known as Skyscrapers. This digital version of that puzzle includes randomly generated puzzles, customizable board sizes (1x1 to 6x6), a hint system to help newcomers to Towers and graphics that aren't simply numbers, they're numbers on towers. With color!

You can go to the Itch.io page for more info.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #zurayarobi-0 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #yedapadaye-0 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

BIRD

This is my first Pico-8 game.

Cart #bird_and_spikes_2-1 | 2024-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's based on a popular mobile game.

0 comments

Cart #jepajawoti-0 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Basic box collisions. Colors flip when boxes collide.

0 comments

Cart #sonoranrattlesnake-1 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sonoran rattlesnake

In development

Classic snake game with power-ups.

How to play.

• Use the arroys keys to set a direction.
  • Use x button to dig.

Fruits

[8x8]
Effects: N/A
[8x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #thinevoidbeckons-2 | 2024-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Thine Void Beckons

Protect yourselves with demonic entities to thieve a prize.

You have entered a void of your own creation in search of a dark and terrible prize. However, it 👁️ seeks you, and you have a limited amount of time before it 👁️ finds you. Collect entities, and use the shrines located in the void to empower them in an effort to survive an encounter with it 👁️. All you can do is wait while your entities do battle. If you survive... the prize shall be yours.

—————————————————————————————————————————

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #tweet_5-1 | 2024-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is only this, check it out on itch...

Colors!

So basically I joined the NOKIA 3310 JAM 6 a few days ago (no pong).
Some of the restrictions you had where the two classic greenish Nokia colors, but the problem was that Pico 8 doesn't have those colors. Lucky for us Pancelor had left us very helpful and detailed instructions, where he covered a buch of thing like changing the thumnail/colors/resolution etc.. Thanks man :)
You should check it out yourself as well nokia html template by pancelor

• So Export your game like this "export Your_game.html"

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #top_down_engine-1 | 2024-03-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

hello this is my first cartridge it took a while to learn how to code but overall i'm proud of it please feel free to copy the code and use it for your own top down game again this is my first cart in fact it's my first time coding ever if you don't like it i'm sorry

CONTROLS:
O: dash right
X: dash left
arrow keys: basic movement

PS: the smiley face's name is bob

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->