BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #zjowkuyu-0 | 2024-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello everyone !

My name's Vincent and this is my first prototype here.

It is based on a real-time card game called Brawl : https://crabfragmentlabs.com/shop/p/brawl

Rules

The goal is to score BASEs, by getting more HITs on it than your opponent. At the end of the game, the player who scored the most BASEs wins.

In PRACTICE mode, each player plays one card alternatively. In TOURNAMENT mode, players don't wait for their opponent. Games can last less than 40 seconds !

[16x16]
This is a BASE. It serves as a foundation for HITs. There can only be 3 bases max in play.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #thebirdsv2-1 | 2024-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Make your way through an unforgiving world... full of birds

A mini-platformer inspired by Limbo. You're a girl stuck in the rain, just trying to make it through.

Preview of some birds

And more birds

Background / Credits

This is my first game. I discovered pico-8 a little earlier this year and had to give it a try. Like many others, I was inspired by all of the great carts out there. In particular, I got a ton of value from this post by shy, the lazy dev shmups content, and this cart on fractal trees from bjornkri.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #thereminboy-4 | 2024-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

8 comments

Cart #zuworetiki-0 | 2024-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #toaster-0 | 2024-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Escape Toaster Hell

This game was made for the Illinois State University 2023 Winter Game Jam. Theme: Stronger together

Features:

• Esoteric Toaster Hell
  • Orthographically Projected 3-D Graphics
  • High Score List
  • Bread

Technicalities:

The 3-D effects in this game were achieved by layering 2-D cross sections of a toaster, The images were layered based on the screen position, to achieve an orthographic effect. These computations are relatively light and can be easily handled by pico-8's limited CPU. The platforms are similarly rendered, but slight perspective is added by calculating the two sides of the platform separately.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Oh hey, a thing we're doing is live!

The PICO-8 Free Music Jam is an itch.io jam for musicians with a very simple concept: PICO-8 devs want music to put in their carts, we're gonna make music for their carts.

It'll be running for the full month of February - no ratings, no competition, just music for PICO-8. And if you wanna get started making music, in PICO-8 or at all, there's loads of resources linked on the jam page.

(edit: And many thanks to the folks in the #music-sfx channel of the official unofficial PICO-8 Discord who came together to hatch this idea and hammer out the details, and to @paraK00PA for the awesome cover art!)

1 comment

Cart #timeprogthing-0 | 2024-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A time progress visualiser thing that's sort of like a clock/calendar hybrid. I don't know how to describe it well.

Use the left and right arrows to switch between four views:

Year View
Visualise time progress throughout the year.
Split into months horizontally and days within each month vertically.
If the year is highlighted, this view is being shown.

Month View
Visualise time progress throughout the month.
Split into days vertically and hours within each day horizontally.
If the month is highlighted, this view is being shown.

Day View
Visualise time progress throughout the day.
Split into hours horizontally and minutes within each hour vertically.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bouncegame-0 | 2024-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Small game I made in a day early last year. Collect the gems, avoid the bombs.

Controls:

Arrow keys to move target and adjust height

Hold X/Z to double/halve the target move and height adjustment speed

2 comments

Avoid the rocks as you climb, collecting any treasure you can along the way.

Cart #treasure_climb-0 | 2024-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was another super simple game while I continue trying out things. Was playing around with the sound a bit more as well as adding animations, trying to understand them better.

1 comment

Cart #drawapp-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a small drawing app I started working on near the end of 2022. Last year, I challenged myself to post a drawing made with it every single day for the entire year. This was the main Twitter thread for it, but they're also all displayed on my website here. I planned to release the app publicly once I completed the challenge, so here it is!

I'm not calling this v1.0 yet because it's still quite unpolished and I didn't manage to add everything I wanted by the end of the year (I ended up being way too busy with other work to work on this last year). I don't know when or if I'll actually get around to releasing a v1.0. Feel free to modify and share your own versions of the cart if you want, I hope the code is not too much of a mess.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #bloodmoon-3 | 2024-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The city of Z'Oular is crumbling. Lord Raltus has used the powers of the Blood Moon Talisman to enthrall the city. Very few people are left alive. Bram, a demon hunter under the banner of the Goddess Askelpios, receives a message from within the city and takes it upon himself to cleanse the evil that lies therein.

Play through a huge overworld packed to the brim with secrets! Uncover the hidden dungeons within and use the bevy of curios you find to bring Lord Raltus to his knees! A massive adventure tucked neatly into a single PICO-8 cartridge and built to evoke the games of yore.

Keep your notepad handy to write down the hints you receive and to draw a map to keep you from getting lost or spool through a printable manual to really game like it's the 80s.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

34 comments

Cart #sauna_test_1-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just a playtest for my game. Tell me feedback about the controls.
Gonna release these after every major change.

4 comments

Cart #cavedivinggonebad-1 | 2024-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is inspired by NuSan's brilliant Flooded Caves, it is a fan game :)

It is your job to save people who went cave diving from drowning! Water is entering the caves, use your drill to carve tunnels to redirect the flow of water and try to save as many people as you can.

Controls:

X or V or Left Mouse Button to carve
Arrows or Mouse to move the cursor

The difficulty still needs some finetuning, do let me know how you like it! The Cave generation is based on GPT`s idea of a Noise Algorithm, I might clean it up in the future cause it was useful to me.

Update 6.1.24

• Updated the menu to reflect the inspiration by

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #picosaber-2 | 2024-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

⬅️/➡️: Move saber left and right.

🅾️: Change the Saber color.

❎: Slice/Use the Saber.

Hit the cubes at the right time and the same color to not lose power.

Credits

Based on BeatSaber VR.

Song by @Gruber - Pico-8 Tunes vol II
Instant 3D plus by @Mot

Note

This is not finished! I have not made an end to the song or a start menu.
Please comment your ideas to make the game better.

:)

0 comments

Cart #mariwonufe-5 | 2024-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

lil springy thing i made in like 30 mins lol

Cart #springy0_2-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Astrotype

A space themed typing game made for the 2022 20 Second Game Jam!

Cart #astrotype-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

I've always enjoyed typing games, and when thinking of a game that could be played and replayed in 20 second intervals for this jam, this is what came to mind! Although this game has been finished for well over a year, I've only remembered to upload it just now in 2024 😅 Enjoy!

Controls

Astrotype takes a somewhat non-conventional approach to controls- all controls in this game are executed by simply typing words, and is explained in the cartridge!

You can read more about the game here on its itch.io page

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #artifact-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #confetti_clock-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a clock that shoots confetti every second.

It shoots a bigger confetti every 10 seconds, every minute, and so on.

It was a fun first P8 project!

0 comments

coding practice

Cart #kagutamija-0 | 2024-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->