BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #tibebajoni-0 | 2023-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #chimney-0 | 2023-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As my first game, I created this one related to Christmas. I hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

Operation
Circle/z button: Confirm
In game
Left/right directional key: Move

HINT:Santa gets hit only on his boots.

1 comment

Cart #hollowceleste-1 | 2023-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Celeste Classic mod where you play as the knight from Hollow Knight. Swing your nail to bounce your way through obstacles and free all the grubs! Collaboration with @Sparky99

11 comments

Cart #donutbounce-0 | 2023-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #mos-0 | 2023-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

nothing much to say...

0 comments

Cart #zuzafanine-0 | 2023-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I recreated the Card Flip minigame from the Goldenrod game corner in Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal.

It should play just like the official minigame although, instead of paying 3 coins to play, you start with a balance of 1 coin that doubles as your score.

0 comments

Cart #tookbooks-5 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's just before Christmas, and Santa needs to know...

WHO TOOK THE BOOKS?

This is the sequel game to WHO STOLE THE COAL? - a Pico-8 holiday game from Dec 2020.

WHO STOLE THE COAL

A LONG LOST, UNRELEASED GAME!

There was a video game crash, with tons of unsold/unreleased cartridges for the ATOMI 3600 console being buried in the desert in 1983.

Years later in 2014, they were excavated. Amongst the cartridges was a finished sequel to WHO STOLE THE COAL?, which was the original immensely popular game when released. But by the time WHO TOOK THE BOOKS? was finished, the market has collapsed, and it never saw the light of day.

But ATOMI rose from the ashes, recently releasing the ATOMI 3600+, and on it, WHO TOOK THE BOOKS? finally got released to the public. Game players and historians rejoiced!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

51 comments

Cart #untitled_ball_game-0 | 2023-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

have fun!

this is all so far because idk how to make the camera follow you on the y axis

0 comments

Cart #catinsnow-3 | 2023-12-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a cozy lill' walk through some snowy woods
this game is mostly about atmosphere, so no objectives here. just walk around till you feel done :)

the trees

i'm real happy about how natural the tree generation feels so i figured i'd talk about it.
the trees start out like this.

the main thing that helps sell the forest is the random tree placement. but if we just did something like..

tree.x = x + RND(8) - RND(8)
tree.y = y + RND(8) - RND(8)

..then each time we re-spawn the trees for a area they would be in different spots then before. basically we need a function that returns a sudo random value y from value x. thats were this function comes in...

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

v1.1, by nayz

Cart #nayzpicosweeper-0 | 2023-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A fully-featured port of Minesweeper to PICO-8

PICOSWEEPER is something I've worked on for a little while, and has lots of options and customization, plus some quality of life features. This is the biggest project I've worked on yet (baby steps), so I hope you enjoy!
Don't hesitate to give me any feedback, and please let me know if you find any bugs. Thanks for playing!

1 comment

Cart #barhamelius21-1 | 2023-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

X = cock [UP] = shoot wall [DOWN] = yourself
Added new functional news!!

1 comment

Cart #polardistress-1 | 2023-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help Santa pass his audition with the Norse Ursine Merriment Band.

Hints:

Puzzles have more than one winning solution. So, if you don't like your harmonies, try another way.

Polar bears will follow you if you get close to them. This can help or hinder.

Candy canes give Santa energy to leap across large distances automatically.

Credits:

Created for the PICO-8 Holiday Bundle 2023
Label Art by @paraK00PA
Jingle Bells by James Lord Pierpont
We Wish You a Merry Christmas popularized by Arthur Warrell
Everything else by @bikibird

0 comments

Hello! About a year ago I created the game Supermarket in PICO-8. (File should be attached using the SAVE @CLIP system.) I recently remembered it and wanted to publish it to my portfolio website, but when exporting the HTML and JS files for the game I ran into some trouble.

Here's the game:

Cart #supermarket-0 | 2023-12-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Basically, the JS file just ends with "...0,0,0,0," There's no closing "]" to the huge aray of numbers and the error I get in the inspect console is "Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input supermarket.js:131"

Any ideas of what's going on here? While a solid solution to this would be great and preffered, it would still just be a great help if someone could send their own HTML and JS files of the game here if that's the best that can be done.

Thanks in advance :)

0 comments

Cart #sleigh_ride_saga-0 | 2023-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Can you be trusted to deliver presents for Santa?

Inspired by Flappy Bird and Paperboy with an arcade twist. Drop presents down chimneys and try to avoid waking anyone up--or create as much Christmas havoc as possible, it's up to you.

This was made with for the Pico-8 Holiday Bundle 2023.

1 comment

Stop to Explode

Cart #stop_to_explode-2 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple SHMUP influenced by Vampire Survivors

It may actually be more of a survivor type of game than a SHMUP.

I've created this game as my project for following the LazyDevs basic shmup tutorial.
Big shoutout to this resource, it's a great intro to Gamedev!

I've made this game as something that I would love to play on a retro handheld.

Controls

X - Shoot
O - Fireworks (Bomb, that removes all enemy bullets)

Upgrades

As it is with these types of games you'll level up a lot and you'll need these upgrades if you want to beat the later waves.

I've gone with a pretty basic upgrade path nothing crazy here - but Firerate and Damage upgrades are your best friends.
Plus! There are two 'locked' upgrades: once you max out Firerate or Damage an 'Extra Bullet' upgrade is added to the upgrade pool. This way you can have a total of 4 bullets.

If you take all upgrades then any remaining upgrade slots are replaced with '1UP' + 1 HP (not max, just 1 hp if you have one missing)

One thing to remember: once you reach max upgrade on something then it is taken out of the upgrade pool increasing the chance for all other upgrades to appear.

Gameplay

The gameplay loop is pretty simple. You go in and try not to explode. Shooting enemies down drops XP that you should collect to level up.

I've tried to make the game pretty hard BUT still completable. I'm still not sure how hard it actually is but I've managed to beat it and I'm not stellar when it comes to SHMUP/Bullet Hell games.

There are a total of 10 waves with the 10th wave being a bossfight

Credits and Info

This is actually my first ever game. All assets were created by me. It is kind of a learning project for me. I wanted to create something I enjoy and this proved a great opportunity to learn a lot about gamedev.

I hope some of you will find the game fun and it can provide a couple of minutes/hours of entertainment.

Now at V1 release I'm pretty much happy with the state of the game. Not with the codebase though. Once I learn more Pico-8 I may return to refactor and save some tokens.

Until then I'll monitor the feedback here and fix any bugs/consider any suggestions.

Changelog

V1

Tweaked difficulty

• You are now likely to get to max upgrades before the final boss

Added Boss

• Wave 10 is now a bossfight

Tweaked Typo

• Chaged typo from Wawe to Wave

V081

Tweaked upgrade selection

• It is now harder to accidentally keep pressing a button and selecting an upgrade you didn't want

Tweaked Fireworks

• You now start with the fireworks ability, but it is less powerful
  • Firework upgrade now also upgrades CD + Adds extra bullets for a total of 20 bullets fired at max lvl (compared to flat 15 bullets in the original release)

Tweaked Magnet ability

• Now you start with a very small pickup range, but upgrades are more powerful. Decreased total Magnet upgrade Levels to 3 from 5 and bumped up the range. Each level increases your pickup range by 4 pixels to a maximum of 14 pixels which is a pretty big pickup range considering 128px screensize.

V08

• Initial Release
8 comments

Hello again, Toy Box Jammers!

This cart has a few tools that are handy when using text.

By editing the text in this cart, and rerunning it, you can encode all the text for your game in a string, while setting the maximum width and height of individual pages. It can also embed x- and y-offsets so that your text prints centered without requiring any additional code (just print!), and optionally, you can have it return the width and height of each text box so that you can put nice borders (such as the included "speech bubble") around it.

Simply include one of the two decode functions in your program, and call it with the text that's copied to the clipboard after running this cart, and the decoder will return a table organized into:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #elfshipping2023-14 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

UPDATE 12/28/23: Added a leaderboard for high scores (local only)
UPDATE 12/27/23: Added a directions screen with controls and what you need to do
UPDATE 12/24/23: Added new sprite change to package machine breaking, also added end game when all four machines are broke at once
UPDATE 12/23/23: Squashed a few bugs that I found. Should be bug free at this point.

Elf Express - A Festive Pico-8 Adventure!

Dive into the holiday hustle with 'Elf Express,' a delightful Christmas-themed game created in Pico-8, perfect for players seeking festive fun!

Gameplay:

As a hardworking elf in Santa's workshop, your task is to manage the gift conveyor belts. Match gifts with colorful bows to the corresponding colored shipping portal on the right. It's a race against time and accuracy!

Controls:

Pick Up Gifts: Press 'X' on your keyboard or 'x' on your joystick.
Drop Gifts: Press 'Z' on your keyboard or 'O' on your joystick.
Pick Up Parts: Press 'X' on your keyboard or 'X' on your joystick.
Repair Conveyor: Press 'X' on your keyboard or 'X' on your joystick.

Exciting Features:

-Timed Rewards: Correctly shipped gifts light up the portal green, adding 10 seconds to your clock (max 60).
-Consequences for Errors: Incorrect shipments turn the portal red, reducing your time by 10 seconds.
-Increasing Challenges: The pace quickens as the game progresses. Stay sharp!
-Avoid Mishaps: If a gift falls off, you lose precious time.
-Repair Tasks: Fix broken conveyors by fetching parts from the store.

Objective:

Efficiently sort and ship as many gifts as possible before time runs out. How high can you score?

Join the Holiday Rush!

'Elf Express' is a fun mix of quick thinking, matching skills, and time management, wrapped in charming pixel art.

Behind the Scenes

Pico-8 Platform: 'Elf Express' is crafted in Pico-8, a unique "fantasy console" known for its charming 8-bit style and accessible game development environment. Pico-8 games are famous for their pixel art aesthetics and the creative use of limited resources, emulating the experience of classic 8-bit gaming.

A Personal Journey: This game marks my debut in game development and publication. As a solo developer, I've poured my passion into every aspect of 'Elf Express' – from the original concept and gameplay mechanics to the pixel art graphics and coding. It's a project that reflects both my love for games and a learning journey into the world of game development.

Looking Forward: While 'Elf Express' currently doesn't feature a background soundtrack, future updates might include one as my skills in audio development grow.

Your Feedback Matters: I warmly welcome comments, suggestions, and feedback. Your input is invaluable as it not only encourages me but also helps shape the future of 'Elf Express'.

Link to Itch.io game page: https://nick-edens.itch.io/elf-express

2 comments

Cart #ultimate_selfie-2 | 2023-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Celeste Ultimate Selfie

About the mod

Celeste: Ultimate Selfie is a short mod for Celeste Classic made in 4 days for the 12 Days of CChristmas Mod Jam. Featuring all new sprites, new mechanics, and everyone's favorite character, Theo! Venture into a deep cave, full of water and ancient mechanisms, what could lie at its bottom? Theo definitely doesn't know, but he knows it'll make for the ultimate selfie.

Controls

Keyboard

• Move: Arrow Keys
  • Jump: Z/C
  • Dash: X/V

Credits

Mod by - CannonWuff (WuffMakesGames) (me)
Logo and level design by - SmellyFishstiks

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #allthewaydown-0 | 2023-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Skydiving Gone Wrong

A game I made for the week-long Winter Tavern Game Jam.

Nothing much to say about this one; just a simple little game I scrapped together. Collect as many balloons as you can while you fall through the air toward your impending doom.

Don't forget your parachute!

Itch.io Page -> https://stadam.itch.io/all-the-way-down
Game Jam Page -> https://itch.io/jam/tavern-games-winter23/rate/2422302

0 comments

I am struggling to wrap my head around how the Music() and SFX() call functions work. I have a music track and some sfx calls that clash even though I have stipulated that the sfx calls only call on an unused channel. I have also tried to use the channel mask argument for Music() but can't seem to figure it out.

Basically a soundtrack plays while the game is running. Pressing a jump or collecting coins all trigger a sound effect that causes the backing soundtrack (Music()) to skip notes.

Could someone please maybe explain to me how I can have music AND call sound effects properly so they don't interrupt each other?

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->