BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #dragonxvi_fnaf-0 | 2023-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was a little project I started around Halloween, something I've seen a few attempts of before, but wanted to try it m'self: remake the first FNAF game in PICO 8.

The actual mechanics of the game are fairly simple, most of it's just timers + dice rolls, but trying to ape the presentation of the game was probably the biggest challenge. In the end opted for a sort've mix of first person and top down perspectives.

Think the behaviours are fairly authentic to the original, there's a couple of functional under the hood differences. Despite being decompiled and heavily analysed there's still a lot of vague information about how some of the mechanics work in the original, but there was enough there to get the basics down.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #ok_truchet-0 | 2023-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little Truchet tile sketch for funsies
Interact to randomize

2 comments

Guys I'm in big trouble here

After a break up, I had to give back the computer I was working with and acquire a new one.
I've downloaded the latest update of Pico 8 on my new cheapo ~2017 macbook air
(similar to the last computer, albeit running the most up to date MacBook OS)
now my game, the biggest I've ever worked on, runs as a black screen, and doesn't seem to want to go through the code and check where all the functions are.

I think it's because
A) I didn't work on this file on this computer
but more likely
B) it's running on a more up to date version of Pico 8...
to make matters worse:
the stupid recent Mac OS won't let me run my .bin exports I made while the game was running perfectly on that original computer
(unfortunately, foolishly, I never exported the game as a cartridge while it was running on the prior computer... only the .bin export....)

Has anyone else had a problem like this before?
where the game no longer seems to look through the code completely?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #yarofakid-8 | 2023-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Jogo em desenvolvimento

Resumo em 1 frase: um demake de Overcooked

Proposta: você é um elfo que trabalha na oficina do Papai Noel e precisa montar os brinquedos das crianças.
Fabrique os brinquedos de acordo com o pedido nas cartinhas das crianças. Sua pontuação é calculada no tempo decorrido entre o pedido e entrega para postagem e na acurácia do pedido. Ao final do dia seu salário é calculado e isso impacta no decorrer do jogo.

Inscrito para a 🎄 GameJam NATALINA 🎄 da comunidade victoriemini

Como jogar 🇧🇷

❎ - Botão de ação
🅾️ - Botão de avançar (dash)

• Pegue as peças dos brinquedos que passam na esteira e coloque-as na mesa para montagem.
  • Cada brinquedo é formado por 3 partes.
  • É necessário colocar as 3 partes sobre a mesa para os ajudantes começarem a montagem.
  • Após montado e empacotado, entregue o pacote na saída.
  • Ao final do dia é computado seus ganhos menos as taxas para pagar.
  • Caso não possa pagar todas as contas: GAME OVER.

Veja quantos dias você consegue sobreviver!

How to play 🇺🇸

❎ - Action button
🅾️ - Dash button

• Take the toy parts that pass on the conveyor belt and place them on the table for assembly.
  • Each toy is made up of 3 parts.
  • It is necessary to place the 3 parts on the table for the helpers to begin assembling.
  • Once assembled and packaged, hand over the package at the exit.
  • At the end of the day, your earnings are calculated minus the fees to pay.
  • If you can't pay all the bills: GAME OVER!

See how many days you can survive!

0 comments

This cart shows the cards of a Spanish deck. I had a lot drawing them and making sure they adjusted to the resolution and palette constraints of Pico 8. I will probably use this at some point to code a Spanish card game.

Cart #baraja-0 | 2023-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #grav_v1-0 | 2023-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made in 3 days for SpeedJam 3.

Controls
Arrows: Move
Z: Jump
X: Place gravity zone

How to play
Speedrun through a short platforming level as fast as possible.
Placing a gravity zone will flip gravity inside a short radius. If you land on the roof while inside a gravity zone, the entire worlds gravity will flip.

You enter a slide when landing on the floor/roof after a long fall or after flipping gravity. The slide gives you a boost in speed, which can be maintained if you are in the air.

Credits
Made by @Noh
Music and SFX from @Gruber_Music

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #feesh-0 | 2023-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I had a hard time debugging "Cannot load" error message when running a cartridge with pico8_0.2.5g -run, where the cart contained an import missing_spritesheet.png statement. I thought that "Cannot load" meant "Cannot load cart" but in fact the cart was loaded, only the spritesheet was not. This was due to the spritesheet missing from the carts folder, but I only understood this thanks to an older version of PICO-8, pico8_0.2.2c which would print an extra error message in the console:

> failed to import spritesheet; file: /path/to/missing_spritesheet.png

Is there a particular reason why the terminal message was removed? To make the terminal cleaner? In this case, could we at least have the full error message in PICO-8 instead?

Tested versions:

• 0.2.2c: "failed to import spritesheet; file: /path/to/missing_spritesheet.png"
  • 0.2.5e: nothing is printed in terminal
  • 0.2.5g: nothing is printed in terminal

To repro: create a cart with "import dummy.png" (where dummy.png is a file doesn't exist in carts/) and run it with pico8 -run from terminal.

1 comment

Cart #medusamith-5 | 2023-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to Play

(<) or (>) - Move
(O) or (C) - Jump
(X) - Petrify

Make sure to look the enemy in the eyes to petrify!

About the Game

This game was made as a final submission for the Greco Roman Mythology course.

During the course we saw countless myths, about gods, heroes, monsters and a lot of other things, many stories about injustice, death, fear, love, joy. And for my submission I decided to portray the perspective of the deadly gogor, Medusa, who had to survive countless heroes trying to kill her.

This is still a prototype version of the game, the only enemy implemented so far has been the hand scythe enemy, plans are to add an enemy in the future for each item that Perseus used to defeat the gorgon.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #kingslayers_remastered-2 | 2023-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"Unsettled with the crown, a small group sets off to take the castle by force and defend the throne as their own. Their success will depend on their tactics on the battlefield, and the cunning by which they select their allies."

Kingslayers Remastered is a small tactical RPG. The original Kingslayers was created by Justin Jaffray (@J) in 2015, the early days of PICO8! This is my "remaster" of it (with permission), adding in helpful tactical UI elements (view unit stats, movement ranges, and so on), background music, and various new units, abilities, and levels-- almost twice the game content. I also found and fixed some bugs in the original... but it's possible I've introduced new ones :)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

19 comments

Cart #strawberryjamfactory-5 | 2024-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

hop there is an update

• it's more easy to climb the ladders

• there are flashing arrows to help you

• you can go down the platforms by pressing the down key

• superb booklet (https://pbes-studio.itch.io/strawberry-jam-factory)

• display of points when you swing something and when you break your combo

personnal best : 437

it's our participation to the strawberry game jam pico 8

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #sleigh_away-0 | 2023-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Sleigh Away

This project is an entry for the Strawberry PICO-8 Jam 2023 Christmas, made with the fantasy console: PICO-8. Theme was Christmas and restriction is 4 colors only!

Controls:

You move the reindeer, Santa will follow your positions if you have moved enough time (like old options worked in shmup).

ONLY SANTA'S HEAD HAS COLLISION, use this to your advantage!

Story:

Santa got lazy after making all the games this year, so help the reindeer pull him away from the dangerous Krampus army, who are here to ruin the Holiday!

Gameplay:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #boxmoover-0 | 2023-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Boxmoover

A cute little game about a cow helping you move.

Learned things

We loaded levels via reading each tile of the map, getting which sprite it was, and creating an entity based on that.
While the math on loading levels via the map was a little odd at first.
It lead to a really easy ways to create levels via the pico8 level editor.
The downside is that it makes it hard to reload the lvls with the same code.
Because levels loaded at when levels change instead of at the start of the game therefore the map data would change until the game was restarted.
Not being able to read the map data after a level change meant that we couldn't reload previous levels.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #rustys_rumble-1 | 2023-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rusty's Rumble

Rusty is a cool dude, the place where he lives however is the opposite. He recently ran out of water and must now run around to find more. Help Rusty cool down and survive the everlasting attacks from bandits, cows, and flying dynamite?

Controls:

You can change your controls in the pause menu.

Keyboard/Controller:

-X + keys to move like a chess piece (the given piece is highlighted by a gray square).
-Z to hold a piece.

Mouse:

​-left click on a purple square to move to that square like a chess piece.
-right click to hold a piece.​​

Touchscreen:

click on...​​
-a purple square to move to that square like a chess piece.​
-Rusty (blue square) to hold a piece.​

There are 20 custom levels, with more randomized ones if you want to go for a high score!
If you're having trouble moving with the knight, the game checks for a sequence of inputs. Think of it as first moving 2 steps in a direction and then to the sides.

V1.1 changes:

​-Added mouse and touchscreen controls.
-Set some highscores when you start playing (Rusty got those himself).

6 comments

Cart #serpent_scale-0 | 2023-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my submission to the Github Gameoff GameJam 2023, Theme was "Scale".

Itch.io Link: https://sadodare.itch.io/serpentscalequest

You're a Serpent whom is trying to join a group of others whom have proven their worth to the clan by completing a series of quests. In this game, you'll avoid obstacles while collecting "scales", balance weight by thinking ahead and being methodical, and get down get down. In the end, you'll unlock a level which is the series of challenges in an advanced difficulty.

Prove you're able to slither with the rest of them.

Controls: On PC, Controls are Arrow Keys and X. Pico references the use of O and X by default which are actually Z and X on keyboard, but my game only uses X and Arrows.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #fireship-3 | 2023-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Warning: The PCM audio has clicks/artifacts when the game is played in browsers

You can turn it off by entering the pause menu (ENTER on keyboard) and turning the sound effects option to "pcm off"

I'm not sure how to fix this issue, I believe its a a problem with how pico8's web implementation works. The sound effects should work properly when run in from the pico8 splore or in the exported binaries I published on itch.

I decided to make most of the sound effects using pcm (feeding data into the buffer instead of using the normal pico8 sound system) for fun and to figure out how they worked, and it also left free sound channels for music. I probably should have tested how the sound worked in browsers before I built the whole games function around it. (I also included an option to only have the boost/acceleration sound turned off in case people are okay with the artifacts for short sound effects like enemy deaths).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

When calling fget without a flag index, how can you translate
the bitfield returned by fget back into it's respective flag index (0-7)?

4 comments

Cart #dvdvdvdvd-0 | 2023-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

Press ↑ to speed up.
Press ↓ to speed down.

Summary

This is DVD.

Note

This is my first cartridge post.

0 comments

I Was On The Making Of Picordade, But This Happened All Of A Sudden.

WHY??

3 comments

Cart #dolans_cadillac-0 | 2023-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Murder, vengeance, and poorly marked road hazards: Dolan's Cadillac is a match-3 massacre inspired by the Stephen King novella of the same name.

In this game, you take revenge on the mob boss who killed your wife by burying him alive in his beloved Cadillac.

"this is about the most metal concept for a match-three game I've ever seen..." -Evan Balster, Mastodon

Created for the PiCoSteveMo game jam. More info on the game's itch page.

(Note: the version on itch has a few extra Easter eggs that required running the cart through a minifier in order to keep the code smaller enough. The version hosted here has identical gameplay and somewhat more readable code, if that's the sort of thing you're into.)

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->