BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #tiny_tactics-4 | 2023-12-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny Tactics

A turn based, tactics / puzzle game for PICO-8

Controls

• When you start the game for the first time it will show you the controls and ask if you are using a keyboard. Your answer will be saved, and appropriate button / key labels will be used on the menus.
  • Shorter levels (like the first few ones) will also show the controls at the bottom so you get used to them.
  • If you want to change labels from keys to buttons or vice-versa later on, just select controls on the title screen.

Features

• 81 levels
  • 9 enemy types
  • 2 hours of gameplay (first playthrough estimate)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

41 comments

Cart #bit_hero-0 | 2023-11-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BIT HERO is my first PICO-8 game, just a mini platformer (only 2 levels, collect all coins).

I hope you like it!

7 comments

Cart #planetdicewars-2 | 2023-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, this is my first game made with PICO-8 and it is my variant of an online game classic called DICE WARS.
Supports up to 6 players (in hotseat mode) - if there are less, the other players are controlled by the computer. New with v1.2: You can also start a game with less than 6 players.

The goal in Planet Dice Wars is to conquer all planets in the galaxy. The game is played in turns. When it is your turn, select a source planet and a target planet to send your troops. You can only attack from a planet with more than 1 troop.
An attack is carried out by rolling dice (hence the name 'Planet Dice Wars'). The attacker rolls a die for each attacking troop, the defender rolls a die for each defending troop on the planet. The attack succeeds if the attacker rolls higher - all of his attacking troops minus one are placed on the target planet while a single troop is left behind on the source planet. When the attack fails, the attacker looses all troops but one!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #kikstart-0 | 2023-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

Of course it's not my original design! Kikstart is a classic game from 1986, written by Shaun Southern for the Commodore 16 and the Plus/4. I have re-created it as a PICO-8 game to pay my respects.

How to play

• Left and right: decelerate and accelerate
  • X: jump / start game
  • O: ???

Design and differences

The levels are identical to the original ones. I have scaled down the sprites to get a larger game area. Max speed is slightly faster, the game runs smoother this way. I tried my best with the sounds (the music can be muted in the cart menu). I added a new game mode because I had plenty of space, but the original game is so much better.

Have fun:)

4 comments

Cart #dvd_bounce-0 | 2023-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's the DVD logo bouncing around like it always wanted to.
Idea, sprite, and music (spoiler?) by Sickynar.
Code by GabuGabu.
Sit back and relax.

2 comments

Cart #darkage-0 | 2023-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Now the sprite keeps in screen and can switch.

Cart #kofufifis-1 | 2023-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #retrowill_rainarcade-2 | 2023-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello everyone!

This is my first Pico-8 game!

Description

Survive an ever worsening rain storm for as long as possible. Some droplets will react to the players inputs... stay on your toes and get the highest score possible!

Dev's Thoughts

I had a lot of fun making this game and learning the engine. Completed it in a weekend. Now that I've made this game I feel I have a much better idea of how to organize a project - this one got pretty messy even though it is fairly simple. On my next project I hope to explore the sound editor a bit more, not very happy with the sounds here. Overall I had a lot of fun and think the game turned out pretty fun for a quick play. Let me know what you think!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

My First Cartridge

Cart #orbital_toy-0 | 2023-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Teaching myself PICO-8, I remade an old Mac screensaver that I used to find mesmerizing. This is by no means a valid physics simulation, but feels just real enough to be fun.

Thanks to freds72 and Felice for the antialiasing and musurca for the fast distance approximation.

3 comments

Cart #newtons_cradle-0 | 2023-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Enjoy the Animation

0 comments

Working on my first non-tutorial project that I actually can see myself finishing :) Liar's Dice isn't the most original game idea, but at least it's not tic-tac-toe.

So far, things I've struggled with the most have been trying to get disparate UI elements to center correctly with mixed colors, and trying to massage control flow between states. A lot of things need to be communicated after the player (or, in the future the AI for opponents) calls "liar", and for now I'm just setting a lot of hard-coded wait values that feel right, but I wonder whether it will get annoying to sit through the resolutions every time rather than being able to skip it?

I'm really happy with the dice animation so far, I think it's turned out really well. I also worked on a slow "dead man's chest" music track, but I'm not convinced it's long enough to not get annoying since it's really only 8 bars long.

0 comments

I made a game for jame gam!

Cart #preservejame-0 | 2023-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #puboyahasi-0 | 2023-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

nothing does what it looks like it does

2 comments

Cart #tomorrow-6 | 2023-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made for the 20 Second Game Jam. See the game's submission page!

Use your oddly jar-shaped mallet to fling Tomorrow toward the end of the level and whack Krikz the robot before the timer runs out! There are 5 optional sandwiches to collect throughout the stage.

Mastering the controls and learning the level layout will be essential to completing it in time, especially so if you wish to collect all of the sandwiches as well.

To make the game more accessible, there is an alternative mode with timer pickups scattered through the stage, and another with no time limit at all. Though, these modes do go against the jam's limitation, hence being optional. Think of them as "exploration aids" to help you learn the stage and determine a route through with a more relaxed time limit, while you attempt to reach the under 20 seconds mark.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #star_addicted_full-0 | 2023-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

star_addicted

star addicted is fast passed 2d platformer

you collect star to calm you down, you have a dash abilitty to go faster.
you can also get a keys over time to travel faster using doors

have fun.

0 comments

Cart #carnival-0 | 2023-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Pico-8 interpretation of the 1980 Gremlin/Sega arcade game and the various console ports.

How to Play

Shoot everything until you run out of bullets!

Controls

[X] - Fire

Thanks To

Version History

• 0.80 - 24-Nov-2023 - Released
1 comment

When I tried using the save shortcut (on PICO-8 education edition) nothing seemed to happen, other than the notification on the bottom of the screen. I do know about manually typing "save" in the console, so I suppose it isn't much of a problem ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

3 comments

Cart #db_oust_demo-1 | 2024-02-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the demo of my latest game: Oust. It has the first 12 asteroids of the full game and a final 13th one, unique to the demo.

Fly your ship within the hollow asteroids of Corvus to retrieve precious, glowing Clystron orbs and yellow jump-suited prisoners. Deliver them to green transmitters that will beam them away to safety.

Destroy the security systems that seem to have spun out of control and search for the keycards needed to access deeper areas beyond your insertion point. It's believed that there is a store of advanced Nova weaponry somewhere in the facility that you may be able to utilise.

Controls

The full game is uploaded on itch now:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

poke(0x5f5c, 255) -- disable btnp repeat

lol ur welcome

love,
kittenm4ster

2 comments

Cart #dokodowro-0 | 2023-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Flea Tanks

Top down shooter. Gameplay inspired by "Tanks" game from "Brick Game" console.

Controls

Up - Move up
Down - Move down
Left - Move left
Right - Move right
X - Fire
O - Pause

Thank you for playing!

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->