BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I bought the full version of Pico 8. Trying to search for celeste and other titles in splore but nothing comes up. Works on the website when searching. Any ideas?

1 comment

Cart #ripimasazi-2 | 2023-11-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello all, newbie here.

This is a flappy bird clone with some added spices.
It's my first attempt at pico 8 development and learning about pico 8.
while making this game, I had in mind the targeted audience to be someone
running a retro emulation machine with Retro-pie, batocera, etc... with
controllers for multi-player experience.

nonetheless, thanks for checking out my game!

Controls:
(1 or 2 player mode)
x : Normal Hop
o or "up" : Quicker upward Leap (energy consumption)
"down" : Quick dive (energy consumption)

(pvp)
x : fly - boost, speeds up movements (drains energy bar quickly)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #katnamag_pong-4 | 2023-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this as game #1 of The 20 Games Challenge​. It's my first PICO-8 game and I'm not really a retro gamer/coder. I'm sure it could be better, but like...

​It's Pong, you know? If you have feedback on doing things better I'd love to hear it! Or better yet, a link to a really well executed Pong that I can learn from :D

2 comments

how do i access gpio and how does it work like is 0x5f85 the 5th pin or the 6th pin how the heck do i count in decimals why is there a face on my wal-

(i don't actually own a pi i'm just trying to code for one)

1 comment

Hello friends! I'm attempting to implement replay functionality in PICO-8. (e.g. re-watching your last race in a racing game) I started by changing my update function, so that instead of invoking game actions directly, they are added to a command queue. Imagine something like this:

function move_player(x, y)
	-- move ZIG for great justice
end

function update_game()
	if btnp(➡️) then
		add_cmd(move_player, {1, 0})
	end
        -- other input handling here

process_commands()
end

An entry in the queue is a function, parameters (passed as a table), and the frame that the command was added (e.g. 23). At the end of the update function I execute everything in the queue that is scheduled for the current frame. process_commands uses an index to track where the next command is, and increments the index whenever it executes one. To replay a game, all I have to do is reset my game state and command queue the index to 1, and run my game engine against the already-populated command queue. So far so good, easy enough to implement and it's working fine.

The next thing I thought was how I could use this to run a demo mode for the game. I play the game, I somehow persist the command queue, and use it to drive the demo mode. So now I need to persist this command queue outside of the Lua runtime. My first thought was looking into serialization of data in Lua, but if I understand Lua correctly I'd be serializing the same functions over and over, and it looks like I don't have access to string.dump anyways.

My best idea now is creating a table that keys the string value of my function names on the various game action functions, and add some code to add_cmd to actually build a string of Lua code that will re-create my table. Seems kinda derpy but it would work, and does require me to change the name table if I change or add game actions.

Another alternative would be to record the raw input data for every frame and re-write my input handling code so that exactly where the input data is coming from is abstracted. Then my data is just a bunch of booleans that are easily serializable, but I hate this because now I'm tracking way more data than I care about, and it makes handling actual user input while the replay is running less straightforward.

How would you approach implementing replay functionality in PICO-8?

I'm a lifelong programmer but very new to game development, feel free to criticize / correct as you see fit, you won't hurt my feelings! I love learning.

3 comments

Hey there!

I was wondering if there is a way to clear some specific Pico-8 game data (save state) when it's played through the Lexaloffle web player. I can clear all things Lexaloffle in the browser, but that would delete my progress in every game, not just one.

2 comments

Cart #timknauf_gatecrasher-1 | 2023-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Flight! Finesse! Friendship?!

Kaito is on a mission. He's got a brand-new pair of jetboots. He's snuck himself a pass to the finest spacegate network of 30XX. And if he can reach the other side…

…he might even make a friend.

About

It's been a while, but I'm very pleased to present my second PICO-8 release! This one is very different to Signed by '89, with a whole different genre and set of constraints. It's the first arcade-style game that I've made, and I learned a lot.

How to play

Fly through gates with ← and → arrow keys.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #abysmal_ascent-2 | 2023-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Abysmal Ascent is a platformer with roguelike elements. You play as a desperate mage, trapped deep underground and determined to escape the treacherous depths. Harness your arcane powers, overcome deadly enemies, and face off against formidable foes as you ascend through procedurally generated environments.

Can you make it to the surface?

Controls:

• X: cast spell to fly
  • Y: shoot a spell
  • Y + arrow up: shoot upwards a more powerful spell able to break ground

Features:

• 2 boss fights
  • 3 different environments
  • 6 different enemies with unique abilities
  • 11 unique powerups

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

v0.5 Updated 3rd Dec 2023 - 2 players and some more levels

This is my first go at a Pico-8 game. Loving the Pico-8 and have learned a lot over the last couple of weeks.

V0.2 - Updated to include weapon power ups that give you faster firing rates
V0.4 - TANKS!!! cleaned up sounds. Extended music. Refactored map ready for multiple levels.
v0.5 - 2 Player option, 5 levels (then stops rather abruptly!), boats, homing missiles, water level, adjusted difficulty

Shoot the puny humans...

Pick up power ups for faster fire rate...

Save the animals for points and health boost...

How to play

Objective: Destroy the puny humans
Increase health by picking up the animals by flying low to the ground.
Increase fire rate by picking up Crystals
Increase speed by picking up stars

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #possiblyendlessgolf-0 | 2023-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Possibly Endless Golf Demake

This is a demake of Possibly Endless Golf

I've always wanted to write a procedurally generated game and love chilled out golf games. This did actually start as a pico-8 project but I couldn't get the level generation correct so I moved to Monogame as I have more experience with C#. Once I finished my first Steam release. I thought I'd come back and finish what I started, now that I understood how to generate levels.

Aim of the game is to get the ball in the square hole.

Controls:
left/right to move the direction arrow
up/down to modify the power bar

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Symptoms: the mouse drifts right on Firefox (only)

How to reproduce:

• export demo cart as an html page
  • publish page on itch.io (or equivalent)
  • run game on Firefox (MacOS or Windows - Linux is fine)
  • notice mouse x-drifting

Note: does not occur when game is run locally
Note: does not occur when game is run fullscreen using the Pico8 button
Wild guess: suspect a Firefox bug regarding mouse coordinates and iframes?

Test cart:

Code:

function _init()
 poke(0x5f2d,0x5)
end

_x,_y=0,0
function _update()
 _x=mid(_x+stat(38),0,127)
 _y=mid(_y+stat(39),0,127)
end

function _draw()
 cls()
 print(_x.."/".._y,2,2,7)

circfill(_x,_y,4,8)
end
7 comments

Cart #gmlib-4 | 2023-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

Gmlib is a complete general midi version 1 instruments implementation using pico-8 custom instruments.

It consists of 16 carts with 8 instruments in each. Inspired by the midilib project, all the sfx are midilib compatible and will be submitted to the project.

Controls

⬅️, ➡️ cycle through instruments in the current cart
⬆️, ⬇️ navigate between carts
🅾️ play/stop demo
❎ copy current instrument to clipboard

2 comments

Yeah you heard me right, my first game in pico 8. Nothing too special, just singleplayer circular pong with a flashy title screen.

(Update: it was not visible in the BBS until now. Sorry!)

Cart #zebekyono-0 | 2023-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #road_runner-0 | 2023-11-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #lightsout-15 | 2023-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Lights Out

Dear photosensitive players: please show caution when playing this game. it includes minor and medium intensity flashing.

Where is this? Who are you? when am i?
Find yourself in an unknown location with only a LIDAR scanner to your name. we'll see if you can make it out alive. who know's whats just around the corner.

How to play:

The game includes instructions accessible from the title screen.

if you need more info on how certain mechanics work, feel free to ask below.

Special thanks

Thank you to the celeste classic community and the comments here for feedback on sound, gameplay and mechanics
! i really appreciate the help!

All code, sprites, sounds, mechanics, levels were all made by me. if you find any bugs, please let me know via twitter or in the comments below.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #emeraldescapee-1 | 2023-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Emerald Escapee

Only if you enter the old castle, evade its deadly traps and find all the missing keys, will you be able to touch the Emerald of Power and escape from the Volcanic Shores of Hell.

This is a short Top-Down Adventure Game created with the help of an amazing Programming Tutorial by Dylan Bennett (https://www.youtube.com/@DylanBennett) as well as some tricks and tweaks I borrowed from Nerdy Teachers' awesome Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/@NerdyTeachers).

Title Screen

Gameplay Gif

How to Play

Move with ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

♥ Halloween crush ♥

Hello little Zombie! Try help Dracula in his love quest on halloween night...

A wicked game by haunted_hub team
first project of students of Ada tech school Nantes, FR
music by headscape_music

Cart #halloween_crush-6 | 2023-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #fagami-1 | 2023-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

School project Ada tech school Nantes
Adventure Game / Maze

1 comment

Cart #woof-1 | 2023-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Project realised by the team "Les Pélicans Impossibles" from Ada Tech School Nantes.
Memory game.

0 comments

Cart #kezporuzo-0 | 2023-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->