BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #ineedcollision-0 | 2023-08-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

the democart (tht wander demo) that i used doesnt use common pico 8 collisions, can somebody review the code and help me with it

0 comments

Month 7 of Pico View brings us a great lineup of tips, code, art, and games. If you missed what has happened recently in the community, catch up here!

Contents:
-Cover Art by SaKo
-PSA to All those Trying to Learn to Code - archonic
-How Structured Iteration Helped Me Overcome My Lack of Art Skills - Pedro Machado
-Featured Interview - Vlad ft. Marina
-New Community Stars - Nerdy Teachers
-Featured Game Review: Kalikan - Achie
-Tokenomics 101 - Josiah Winslow
-Function Showcase
-Pixel Art Gallery - Mierdinsky
-Prototype Party - Vertical Jumper

Read it here: https://nerdyteachers.com/PICO-8/Pico-View/?issue=7

Enjoy! =D

0 comments

0 player automata game

Cart #automata-2 | 2023-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I can't wrap my head around this issue, because it really seems like there is none, and I feel like either I am going schizo or PICO-8 is.

I'm working on a prototype platformer to learn a bit.

Basically, the logic of the animation I came up with is making a timer that could count up to 10 by 0.5 per frame in the update() function (so, basically, a timer that went up by 1 every two frames).

I then set up my commands function so that every time i press either left or right, the player not only moves in that direction, but also changes sprites in its spr() function (the player sprite is saved in the PL table under the SPT variable).

This is done by calling a custom function, anim() in the if statements of the commands() function. anim() is a custom function that basically changes the PL.SPT (the player sprites) based on the value of the timer I spoke about earlier.

So far so good. Surely not the most efficient way to pull this off, but still, glad I worked it out. Except I didn't, because even though it works with the left button, I CANNOT get it to work with the right button. I just cannot find a reason for the left button to work and for the right button not to, but it just doesn't and tbh I'm going crazy because I really can't see an issue with my code (except extremely high inefficiency :D).

I know this is not the best way to pull off the animation, but now its beyond my point. I REALLY wanna know what's wrong with this code above all else.

ALSO the AND X<10 in the BTN if Statements are useless, I already realized that.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #slimerclimber-0 | 2023-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This prototype was made for Pico-View, a monthly web-zine hosted on NerdyTeachers.com.

This month's prototype is named "Slimer Climber", a vertical platform jumper featuring platforms that have an oscillating width as the main obstacle.

Go ahead and tweak, add, re-theme, and build whatever you want on this for your own vertical platforming game!

Don't forget to share it here on the BBS with the tag "prototype-party" so we can see what you were inspired to create. And keep your eyes out for more in the coming issues of Pico-View!

Read the full issue here:
Pico-View #7 July 2023: Coming Soon

0 comments

Cart #jizayababu-0 | 2023-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #tanihutapo-0 | 2023-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hi, I just wanted to post this information somewhere in case it's helpful for other folks.

I am running Void Linux on a Raspberry Pi 1B. Void is an independent distribution, not related to Debian or the Ubuntu or Arch families. When I downloaded the raspberry pi image of pico-8 and tried to run it I got an error that it was missing some libraries, so I manually had to install them to /usr/lib, and then was able to run it normally! Hooray!

If you're comfortable in the command line, here's how to download the missing libraries from github and install them in the correct place to be found and used by pico-8.

sudo wget https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so -P /usr/lib/ 
sudo wget https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_armso -P /usr/lib/ 
sudo wget https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so -P /usr/lib/ 

I'm running an extremely old Raspberry Pi 1B, so Pico-8 warns that it's running slower than 30fps, but I still found plenty to enjoy in playing the latest posted games and coding.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #colorsymphony-2 | 2023-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Description:

• Make randomized abstract art with very simple AI controlled brushes.

Controls:

• X or C: Pause.
0 comments

brekoutfeverforever is a size-coded breakout. using 256b (rom) for a whole endless breakout. third place at lovebyte 2023.

Cart #breakout256-0 | 2023-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You can play this also in the online arcade @toniz.ch
https://www.toniz.ch/?room=arcade

0 comments

So, im on my PS4 browser and the search system just wont let me search, i dont know why! Please fix this, @zep

1 comment

So I've noticed in almost all the carts I've played on mobile that the games have an audio delay. Does anyone know if it's fixable?

0 comments

Star Rogue (temporary title)

Cart #starrogue-4 | 2023-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a WIP Game

07/07/2023

-fix some physic bugs
-improve player character's physic

19/07/2023

-new level
-itens

[8x8]

2 comments

for some reason, no matter what i try, i always catch myself doing game development! i dont know why! i dont like going through the pain that is bug fixing, but i just do it anyways!

0 comments

Cart #porterkk-0 | 2023-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

PLAY THE ORIGINAL PORTER BEFORE PLAYING THIS - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=52970

Controls

Z to Jump
X to Teleport
Arrow Keys to Move and Aim
-There is a 'WIPE SAVE' option in the pause menu ('p')

Story

This time around we join Kug, Yug's coworker, on her harrowing commute through the sketchiest caves around! Help Kug get to work without too many scrapes and bruises. I sure hope Kug can stop getting herself into trouble on her way to work everyday...

Bounties

When beating the game you will receive text, then your score. If the text is replaced you have achieved a specific, and impressive, score.

The first person to send me a video* of them achieving "RANK A" gets a $20 gift card.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #nehobadodu-8 | 2023-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

It's the last day of June 2023 and the new issue of Pico-View is here! Get ready to learn a lot, not just about PICO-8 but also about each other! 🧐 🤓

Here's the lineup:
-Cover art by Jammigans
-My PICO-8 Learning Journey - Ruvalolowa
-How to Write a Hit Song in 30 Minutes - RidgeK
-Featured Game Review 1: Porter - Achie
-Featured Game Review 2: 'Til the Gods Devour Us - Achie
-Finding Unity in the PICO-8 Community - Nerdy Teachers
-Featured Interview - Jammigans ft. Marina
-Let's Jam in July! - Nerdy Teachers
-Random Reviews - New Release Recommendations
-Pixel Art Gallery - Ben Canfield
-Prototype Party - Sokolike

Thanks once again to everyone, especially in our Discord Server, who participated in all the helpful ways we prepared this zine throughout the month. And special thanks to all the extra contributors who welcomed me warmly as I jumped in the DMs.
Love this community!

Happy reading!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

this idea came to me while i was making my multi-cart, its not the coding thats hard, no, its tedious, even with copy and paste, it gets tedious, and debugging can get tedious as well! so, i quit making games, its not that i quit pico-8! im gonna exclusively make songs now! the only other thing i am able to do is songs. so, goodbye game dev, hello composer

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->