BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #last_words-2 | 2023-03-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You've found yourself in an unfamiliar neighborhood. It seems empty—why don't you walk around and see if there's anyone left?

Move with the arrows, talk with X, Z to open the book.

This is a little game I've been tinkering with for... checks watch almost seven years. It's not a huge game - I only managed to work on it for a few hours each year. It's less a game and more a weird little vehicle for some writing and ideas I've had in my head for a good long time.

I might make some tweaks to it (are the voices annoying? Should I change them? Remove them?), so any feedback is appreciated. :)

I had to minify the code to publish it (using https://github.com/thisismypassport/shrinko8)—turns out all those strings take up a lot of space!

10 comments

Cart #the_recycler-3 | 2024-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello there,

This if my first game made with PICO-8 and my second game(the first is the same but on other game engine).

The Recycler

In The Recycler you have to shoot enemies and clean space of their scraps or bullets.
Vacuum enemy shot to refill your ammo.
You can also vacuum enemy scraps to recycle them and upgrade your space ship​.

Controls :

• [x] to shoot
  • [c] to vacuum
5 comments

Cart #mupemejetu-0 | 2023-03-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are invisible, called Invisaline. I also updated the screenshake to make it a bigger effect. The dash particles were also updated.

4 comments

Cart #fivedayforecast-0 | 2023-03-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Yet another result of "I'm bored, let's open Pico-8 and see what happens." Also a result of watching too much bill wurtz probably.

0 comments

Cart #race3dwip1-0 | 2023-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

After over a year of working on my own 3D graphics engine and my own 3D modeller for it, I threw this together in a day just to have finally made a "game" with the engine after all this time.

avoid rocks, shoot for points
star worth more points if shot rather than collected by the ship

this is really rough but again its made in a day, I plan to use this as a kind of starting point for a semi-ambitious racing game I have a ton of ideas for, so look forward to that in a loooong time
sorry if there are any bugs!

also credit to p01 for the trifill I'm using

1 comment

Cart #wdujursi-6 | 2023-03-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

The 2nd song from my Gruber Jam series. Based on a challenge to write something in an odd time signature (this is in 29/32).

Available to use in your game!

[sfx]

Cart #spacelizards-0 | 2023-03-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's the first episode of me starting to write this from scratch:

2 comments

[this probably isn't a bug but I don't know where would be a better place to post it to]
I just downloaded pico-8 but I can't get it to work. Or, basically, I can get it to open, but it automatically opens as fullscreen [which I don't want] and then I can't exist fullscreen or quit the app. I had to turn off my computer to get out of the app. I can't use "alt+enter" to toggle fullscreen because my keyboard doesn't have "alt+enter", it has option (same as alt) but enter? what button should I press instead? will "option+return" work on mac? or can I change what the keyboard shortcut is somewhere without opening the app?
Also, "ctrl-Q" was not working for some reason, I couldn't quit the app that way, which is worrying because "ctrl-Q" should have worked since I have those buttons on the keyboard. "escape" did work to toggle between the viewscreens in pico-8 which is apparently what it's set to do, however, I will say it might be nice if it actually let you get out of the app... surely there's another key command that could be used to toggle, so that you can actually use esc to get out?????

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hi,

I have noticed an issue in some carts that if I switch between keyboard and mouse, then the keyboard no longer works correctly. In particular the cart "Dungeons & Diagrams PICO-8 Demake" by @choo-t ( https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=dungeons_and_diagrams-5 )

If you start it up and use the keys, you can move around the grid. As soon as you use the mouse to move, the arrow keys stop working. The work-around is to click on the browser tab, or the PICO-8 Window Title bar and then the keys start working again.

Running on Windows 10

2 comments

Cart #pond_squid-0 | 2023-03-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rumors say someone has spotted the legendary pond squid in a local pond...

CONTROLS:

Button X: Cast, Reel, Select
Button Z: Jump, Skip Text
Arrow Keys: Menu selection

CREDITS:

@Noh: Game, Art & some SFX
@gruber_music: Music & most SFX

Made in 12 days for Fletchfest 2023

6 comments

Cart #innerleste-0 | 2023-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made in like 40 minutes for some reason. Actually made throughout one day when I was bored in school but I ended up losing the cart (as per my last post) and remaking it as fast as possible.
You can stand on the little dots inside the ground (for beatability purposes).

P.S. I generally don't like naming mods ___este but I had to.

5 comments

I was making a game on pico-8-edu.com and when I saved it, everything appeared to work normally. But when I tried to open that cart again on the education edition, it said it couldn't fetch the cart. Luckily I had the cart open in another tab so I saved it as a .p8.png this time. The image wouldn't open either. I renamed the .p8 to a .txt and it showed as an empty txt file. It also says both the .p8 and the .p8.png are 0 bytes. I need to restart my chromebook tomorrow so how can I save my cart (obviously without leaving the tab open)? I really don't want to lose the game, I've put a lot of hard work into it.

1 comment

Cart #systemspico_k_final-0 | 2023-03-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

8 comments

Cart #cloudops-0 | 2023-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

That cloud ain't gonna operate itself!

Keep the servers up as they randomly fail. Make money by operating the servers for as long as you can before you breach your SLA.

Servers on fire cost you money, so put those fires out!

1 comment

Cart #fruitbat-1 | 2023-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple game made in two hours about a bat who hates fruit!!
The only fruit it'll eat is dragonfruit and watermelon.
Watermelon slows time down to make it easier to navigate,
dragonfruit gives you an extra life

0 comments

This Pico-8 rendition of Tetris includes a two-player version so you can play against your friends.

Cart #twotris-0 | 2023-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #perfectfit-1 | 2023-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've written a small game about fitting a block through a gap. The smaller the gap the better the score. Left/right buttons move the left paddle in that direction and the right in the opposite direction. The Z button drops the block and you can also use the X button to pause the game but I might remove this. The block reduces in size each time you are successful and the game speeds up once you get through all size of block.

I'd like to add menus, a level select with how well you've done in each level and maybe some music.

I've also now ported this to iOS: https://apps.apple.com/tt/app/perfect-fit-block-drop/id6449626297 and Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anefiox.PerfectFitBlockDrop

2 comments

Yep. That's it.

Cart #mudebeguso-1 | 2023-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #lemonshmup-0 | 2023-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Backstory

Alien Invasion!

The alien menace is heading towards earth to blow it up to pieces. You are their last resort

Objective

Dodge and weave through enemies and Kill the Mother Alien

Controls

Arrow keys to move the ship and Z to fire!

Behind the Scenes

This is my basic shmup game, I was going to make it more elaborate, having my original design being "Bayonetta Dodonpachi" but after coming across a bug with the lazer I gave up on the project. I wasn't satisfied with this so I decided to cut the stuff that wasn't functional or working and decided to post this online, maybe you can take this and make something better than I did! I am just glad that it is "Finished"

3 comments

Hello! I've made a cart on my console and it runs there. But when I upload it onto BBS, it gives a syntax error.

Error:
syntax error line 5 (tab 1)
-return fget(mget(x/8,y/8),f)
<eof> expected near 'end'

Function:

function gfap(x,y,f)
-return fget(mget(x/8,y/8),f)
end

i've marked indent spaces as '-'

Cart #nogafekone-0 | 2023-03-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pico-8 version i made the game at: 0.2.5c

3 comments