BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

stars

a parallax background thing

I was looking at a friend of mine's game and saw a cool star background effect. I decided I wanted to make something similar. I ended up with this. It's not quite the same, but still cool.

Opening the pause menu (enter or p) lets you configure options for it.

The mouse does not work on BBS carts, however it works fine in the app. Run load #stars_effect to use it.

thoughts?

Cart #stars_effect-0 | 2023-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

also, if you want this for any project of yours, feel free to use it!

1 comment

This is my first PICO-8 cartridge.
There are still some problems, but I decided to complete it once for now.

Cart #way_home-1 | 2023-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game in which you control a stickman to avoid spikes and birds.
Inspired by Chrome Dino.
BGM was borrowed from 般若's MIDIの里 and used with denote.

Jump to avoid spikes and avoid birds by sliding.

Controls

• Left&Right: Move
  • Up/O: Jump
  • Down: Sliding...?

Current issue

• There are times when the placement is absolutely unavoidable. (Serious problem)
  • The placement of the spikes follows one pattern to some extent. (spike-->spike-->(spike)-->bird)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #gampong-0 | 2023-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a pong clone I was working on over the winter break but had to stop on once my college semester started up. I just finished it and I hope you enjoy!!! Also, hats off to Lazy Devs for getting me into pico-8 development. As you keep the ball in play the balls horizontal speed will increase and its color and point value will change. It's the same objective as OG pong. First player to (or past) 15 wins the game. Hope you enjoy!

3 comments

not a game, not interactive. just an animation. the header for this section claimed to appreciate curiosities :)

it's within a month or so of easter here in the united states, and being within a month of a holiday means retailers are all keen to sell varying confections with absurd sugar contents vaguely themed after the season. "peeps" are a hallmark of this time of year for a lot of people, as a result. they're little marshmallow sweets with what amounts to a pure sugar coating on them. they usually come in packs of 4 or 8, and are shaped like small animals, typically bunnies or chicks (baby chickens...). i don't think they're often widely distributed outside the united states and canada.

there's a recurring urban rumor i hear every year that claims that peeps have their little eyes burnt on with lasers at the factory after they're formed. sadly, this isn't true, but the rumor continues circulating nonetheless. i was talking about this with a friend, and decided to animate a little view into the hypothetical peep factory where the peeps are granted their faces.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Collect all the fruits without getting caught by ghosts.

Cart #hanuzetayo-0 | 2023-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made it in this stream (Japanese): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiCGPfdn9M

1 comment

Cart #fnap_12-2 | 2023-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Hi,

I'm currently working on my custom editor to edit tiles in one of my game, using reload and cstore functions from another cart. But there's something I don't know how to do. I want it to detect if the other cart is present when I launch the editor cart, and output an error message if it isn't. Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

bilodau

10 comments

There seems to have been a change in the virtual cpu cost of +=

Previously, in 0.2.4b, both x=x+y and x+=y cost 1 cycles.
Now, in 0.2.5g, x=x+y costs 1 cycle while x+=y costs 2 cycles.
(Where x and y are locals)

The same happens with other operators that cost 1 cycle, e.g. -=/- and &=/&

This feels like a bug since I wouldn't except x+=y to be costlier than x=x+y

Below code shows the perf. difference.

function testme_calib(name, func, calibrate_func, ...)
  -- based on https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=60198#p
  local n = 1024

-- calibrate
  flip()
  local unused -- i am not sure why this helps give better results, but it does, so.

local x,t=stat(1),stat(2)
  for i=1,n do
    calibrate_func(...)
  end
  local y,u=stat(1),stat(2)

-- measure
  for i=1,n do
    func(...)
  end
  local z,v=stat(1),stat(2)

local function c(t0,t1,t2) return(t0+t2-2*t1)*128/n*256/60*256*2 end -- *2 for 0.2.x

local s=name.." :"
  local lc=c(x-t,y-u,z-v)
  if (lc != 0) s..=" lua="..lc
  local sc=c(t,u,v)
  if (sc != 0) s..=" sys="..sc

printh(s)
  print(s)
end

function testme(name, func, ...)
  return testme_calib(name, func, function() end, ...)
end

testme("+", function(x,y) x=x+y end, 1, 2)
testme("+=", function(x,y) x+=y end, 1, 2)

5 comments

Cart #mashmachine-6 | 2023-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

15-Second Button Mashing Game

Mash as fast as you can to get a high score!
Although there's only 15 seconds on the clock, so you gotta be quick.

Controls

ⓧ: Mash
ⓞ: Start

Credit

Shake Effect by @Krystman
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28306

4 comments

Cart #crossgunrinfinite-8 | 2023-03-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

https://aktanedev.itch.io/crossgunr-infinite

Hey All!

In Release 1.7 I have immortalized winners from my recent caravan competition :) They will forever be in this game now!

Also I have fixed options movement in Level 20 and later, there was a bug causing options beyond 20 to be stuck to the middle of the screen ( they now move as they should along with the other dozens of options in virtual insanity... the way it should be )

I believe this will be the last update unless another bug is found. Thank you to SquidLight yet again for his guidance on tokenizing my code so I could fit in the caravan winners.

Time to take a short break from devving!

~May your crossguns generate enough EX to cancel your daily evils~

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hi! I am a little new to PICO-8 and I am trying to make a Flappy Bird clone as it is one of my all time favorite games. I am having trouble on just one thing, pipe rendering. I have the top and bottom pipes working, but when I try to put the other pipes going up and down to the screen, it screws up. Can anyone help me? (Sorry for no cartridge image)

Cart #mahigiwsu-0 | 2023-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #zadoferifa-0 | 2023-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Bonjour à tous les picoteurs et picoteuses^^
Voici un lien vers ma chaine youtube dans laquelle je réalise notamment quelques vidéos sur pico8. De nombreuses autres sont prévues donc n'hésitez pas à aller voir pour soutenir la chaine.
Et soyez bienveillant hin, je suis professeur en informatique, pas youtubeur professionnel ^^.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BA4ftajsjo&list=PL9jvaQazoWHrE0cRVomZfKsDVdg-wSax9

0 comments

Cart #defender_x-2 | 2023-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Credits:

Developing this game would have not been possible without the aid and support of the "Lazy Devs Academy" Community. Helping me with anything I asked, and encouraging me to move forward, notably, "Aktane", "otto_piramuthu", "LouieChapm" and "SquidLight". Through their own strengths they have helped me reach to where now this game exist. My gratitude goes to them. A very special thanks to "Krystman" for fostering such an invigorating community of creators, teachers and learners.
And as always, my unending thanks to epicheezeness, for all your support, attention and direct contributions.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hi,

pico-8_0.2.5g_windows
This morning after startup eset32 marked and deleted pico8.exe as suspicious. It is probably an error on their side. I had it installed for some time and came out of the blue.
Should i report a false positive?

p.

1 comment

Cart #stringtospritereader-0 | 2023-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I saw some cartridges had large images that would take the whole space of the spritesheet. To prevent that, they use strings to store data.

The bugs:

• For some reason, the image contains black pixels at the left

Colours:

• Q: 0
  • W: 1
  • E: 2
  • R: 3
  • T: 4
  • Y: 5
  • U: 6
  • I: 7
  • O: 8
  • P: 9
  • A: 10
  • S: 11
  • D: 12
  • F: 13
  • G: 14
  • H: 15

Special characters:

• J: New line
  • K: Space

An example of a string that generates the PICO-8 colour palette

kkkkwwwweeeerrrrj
kkkkwwwweeeerrrrj
kkkkwwwweeeerrrrj
kkkkwwwweeeerrrrj
ttttyyyyuuuuiiiij

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=126955#p)
0 comments

Hi all! I'm a long-time lurker but this is my first time posting.

For a while now, I've been tinkering with a Gomoku (Five-in-a-Row) game for PICO-8 with a basic but entertaining AI player.

I'm quite a fan of the Gomoku Narabe Renju game for Famicom (essentially the same game with slightly more complex rules), and originally, I started out to make a version of that. But as usual, it was becoming larger in scope than I was comfortable with. So to actually make progress I decided to simplify things a lot.

Ultimately, this version is a regular game of Gomoku that uses the Long Pro opening rule and requires exactly five stones in a row to win (ignoring six or more in a row). Each game consists of a tournament with a minimum of five rounds. The winning player is the one with more than two wins over their opponent.

Controls:

Z: Start/Place piece

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Day 4 - some simple backgrounds, fixed high scores and initial setting, updated menus, added some fxs

Cart #star_collector-3 | 2023-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

8 comments

Cart #calico-4 | 2023-03-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rules

Select a single patch tile from your hand and sew it into your quilt, then draw another patch into your hand from the three available. If you are able to create a color group, you may sew a button onto your quilt. If you are able to create a pattern combination that is attractive to any of the cats, it will come over and curl up on your quilt! At the end of the game, you score points for buttons, cats, and how well you were able to complete your unique quilt pattern.

Calico is a complex game ! I highly recommend playing the tutorial before your first game .

FAQ :

• Design goal "=/=" means have none of the same colour or pattern
  • Colour tokens are always worth 3 points !
  • When taking quilt tokens from The Market the tile furthest to the left is removed also

Controls

• Use the X key to place tiles
  • Use the Z key to control the camera
  • Double tap Z to view the patterns

Calico is playable on Mobile ! Be sure to access the pico8 menu and press "swap camera mode" to switch the freecam from a press and hold , to a toggle . This makes the game more comfortable to play on mobile devices !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->