BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #bal-2 | 2023-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

DESCRIPTION

BAL is an arcade-style, high-stakes action "platformer" (there's only one platform), with one goal in mind: SURVIVE!

Play as a blue ball (named bal), on top of a slippery ice platform, and avoid obstacles such as missiles, a falling boulder, a laser cannon, and... a chicken?!
Collect temporary powerups that give you a slight advantage!
Try and beat your high score, and unlock cosmetics as you do so!

warning, this game is pretty difficult and can be overwhelming at first. That's ok. Every death is a learning experience. :)

UPDATE LOG

UPDATE 1

-added EASY MODE. all obstacles are 2x slower and powerups appear more often!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #buttonpresser-0 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is the first game I've posted on the pico-8 forum! (however this isn't the first game I've made.)

Button Presser is a simple clicker game. Press the button to gain clicks, which are used to buy upgrades, which make you more clicks, the cycle repeats. Click 'til you drop! (or you reach the integer limit...)

2 comments

if there's something I forgot, let me know

No, you probably won't know what I forgot, but if something messes up, or something's really weird and confusing, let me know.

Cartridge

Cart #wvm_mapc_tool-0 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Code licensed under CC BY 4.0. Yeah, that's right, steal the freaking code!!!!!

About - MCT, Map Command Tool

This is a cartridge that can help fit large maps in an extremely small space via the use of two byte commands that fill in or remove large sections at a time.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hello there.

Not all of us are great programmers. Yet we all have our own unique gifts.

What with the large number of tornadoes we've had recently I thought it might be interesting to make a game regarding these.

Clearly nothing is tastier to a rampant and wild tornado than an abandoned mobile home so the game idea I have in mind is, you must sate the appetite of oncoming tornadoes, to make sure they don't cross a certainly line or into a territory, by hurling mobile homes into them.

These homes are empty and designed specifically to slow down tornadoes. I haven't seen a game like this yet and thought it might be interesting to do - especially with the pull of a tornado, like gravity, and hurling heavy metal rectangles like mobile homes that are affected not only by gravity, by how heavy they are, but also by the pull of the tornado.

And it is possible to toss a mobile home into a tornado and have it "bounce off" because it was not thrown at it the correct angle and velocity.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #tanahijeyo-0 | 2023-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This project contains a system that stores multiple objects of the same or the different type.
And yes, I use this system.

P.S. You need the open this project via PICO-8 or PICO-8 Education Edition to look at the code.

0 comments

Cart #goblingambit-1 | 2023-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A five minute Push-Your-Luck puzzle game about finding treasure, and avoiding the sneaky goblins who want to steal it from you.

Have Fun!

Manual

• Click / tap / press Z / 🅾️ to uncover the treasure tiles.
  • Right click / press X / ❎ to mark a tile.
  • You have three lives, which reset each level, so don't be afraid to take risks
  • If you run out of lives, your point total is halved.
  • If you clear the board, you get some bonus points depending on the number of lives you have left.
  • You can skip at anytime for no cost.
  • There are five boards in total each run.

Glossary of icons

Treasure - Awards points

Goblin - Removes 1 life

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Earlier I noticed that the "New cartridges" tab adds the updates of the cartridges too.
But when I updated PICO-EXPLORER to 4.0, I haven't found it in that tab.

P.S. Changed the category of this post to "PICO-8: Chat" because almost nobody checks the general posts

1 comment

Cart #nova_blazer-2 | 2023-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My second PICO-8 game, made possible by the heroic LazyDevs tutorials. I can only dream to become as lazy!

I had an idea for a shooting game where you could take over enemy ships and ram them into each other. It's not perfectly polished, but I think it gets the point across for now!

Please enjoy it.

Let me know if there are any errors; I was using an outdated version of PICO-8, so unexpected bugs may appear.

1 comment

Hi there, I have been working on getting some old GLUBO games working (if you don't know what glubo is look it up)

these games are all by GLUBO games, I don't take credit for them

for arcade games, I have a way to trick the game into thinking you put a coin in, it is just a button in the pause menu

Swimfish (Arcade edition)
image:

V play the game V

Cart #glubo_swimfish-0 | 2023-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

V play the console version V

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #lepoussinvengeur-0 | 2023-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Bonjour !

Lors de mon séjour dans ma superbe formation pour du développement logiciel;

Une semaine 'projet' est arrivé : moi et 3 autres personnes, nous avons travaillé.es ensemble sur un jeu pico-8; un RPG à la Zelda mais Link (dans ce cas une héroïne) a une mitraillette et tire sur des robots et des zombies à la recherches des mousquetaires perdus; avec quelques ref de pop-culture pour rajouter du peps :p

Nous avons effectué ce projet en seulement 6 jours, et nous sommes plutôt fier du résultat.

(Nous sommes conscient.es que la collision avec les ennemis est bancale)

Ada Tech school : https://adatechschool.fr/

-Oumaima
-Gianni
-Edward
-Charlène

Merci !

Cart #mousquetaires-0 | 2023-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #ada_lovelace44-0 | 2023-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #starcat-1 | 2023-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

⭐ fly into stars to collect them
⬅️➡️⬆️⬇️ to fly
❎ to confirm/interact

EPILEPSY WARNING:(uses several minute techniques that might trigger something...)

Set-up

Star-Cat has been flung into space on a mission... But.. Why did they send a fat, blue, grumpy blob into space? TO COLLECT STARS!! HE MUST CAT-LECT EM' ALL!!

(tiny-tip: at first aim for as many stars as possible instead of them all)

Behind The Scenes

This game is heavily inspired by the Famicom Home-Brew of RIKI. During the initial dev period I found their work very interesting and wanted to make something similar... AND NOW HERE WE ARE!!! Star-Cat took the longest to make out of any of my games. And, as naive as it sounds, has cemented to me that this is my life's cause. I thank you all for playing, and look forward to reading your reviews, comments, and or questions!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #ummmm_ok_tree_gen-3 | 2023-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a tree generator i made for some music i also made. then i realised the music was crap but it's still in the cart if you want to listen to it.

use the left and right buttons to change the wind speed, down to set it back to 0.

some trees are better than others :)

3 comments

Cart #neptune-0 | 2023-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Story

Deep under the ocean's waves, not far from Neptune's Palace lives the evil sea snake, whose only pastime seems to be the kidnapping of the Neptune's daughters.
This game was originally developed by Mark J. Taylor in 1983 for the C64. Although it is not the best game released for the C64, I loved it at the time and spent many hours with it.
With this demake I want to bring Neptune's Daugthers back to memory so that this beautiful game is not completely forgotten.

Gameplay

Only the directional pad and the X button are needed to play. With the control pad you move the diver and with the X button the diver can fire shots with his harpoon.
At the lower part of the screen there is a display which shows the oxygen that is left. If the diver runs out of oxygen you leave a life.

Level 1-3

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Not sure if this is actually a bug or expected behaviour. Seems like a bug to me. That said, don't know if it's a problem with PICO-8 or just with Lua in general.

Here's the problem. If I define a metatable using the __metatable property then the __tostring method doesn't get called automatically (by print for example) when expected.

m = {}
x = setmetatable(
   {},
   {
      __index=m,
      __metatable=m,
      __tostring=function(self)
	 return 'blah blah blah'
      end
   }
)

print(x)
print(tostring(x))

Output:

[table]
blah blah blah

So, I can call the tostring() function explicitly but it's not called automatically by print as I would expect. If I leave out the __metatable property though it works as expected:

m = {}
x = setmetatable(
   {},
   {
      __index=m,
	 return 'blah blah blah'
      end
   }
)

print(x)
print(tostring(x))

Output:

blah blah blah
blah blah blah

Putting the __tostring function in m also doesn't work:

m = {
      return 'blah blah blah'
   end
}
x = setmetatable(
   {},
   {
      __index=m,
      __metatable=m
   }
)

print(x)
print(tostring(x))

Output:

table: 0x30bb9cc
table: 0x30bb9cc

Nor does giving m its own metatable with a __tostring method:

m = setmetatable({}, {
      return 'blah blah blah'
   end
})
x = setmetatable(
   {},
   {
      __index=m,
      __metatable=m
   }
)

print(x)
print(tostring(x))

Output:

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=126465#p)
4 comments

Cart #tinyterrarium-0 | 2023-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is a falling sand game! it's essentially a remake of one i've posted before, but completely rewritten to be performant with the latest version of pico-8. it also has a lot more features. feel free to experiment! it's also posted on itch and you can find its source code, which is released to the public domain, on github.

controls

on the simulation screen:

• ⬅️➡️⬆️⬇️: move
  • 🅾️: draw
  • ❎: erase
  • Pause: options

on the options screen:

• ⬆️⬇️: move between options
  • ⬅️➡️: change option

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #sokoblox-0 | 2023-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sokoblox is a hybrid of two classic puzzle games: Sokoban (the push puzzle) and Bloxorz (the rolling block puzzle).

See if you can beat all 15 levels!

21 comments

Cart #cardboard_toad-0 | 2023-02-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My six year old and I made this game for her upcoming birthday. She was inspired by paper mario and the idea of a pinata that ran away.

0 comments

Whisper

Cart #whisperv1_0-1 | 2023-02-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hope you like it!

If you find any bugs, please tell me

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->