BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I am doing a jump platformer (8px*8px tiled).

My collision is currently detecting (player location + player x/y acceleration). e.g if (y.player + y.acceleration= -1.4), then the collision detection will check the above block.

If the player was in position 100, and acceleration was y-3, then I tell the checkbox, "player position is 97 (100-3), check up block collision".
The checkbox then notifies back that there is a block ahead, if so I cancel next movement.

Problem example: Position 100 was 1 or 2 blocks away from the block, so the player position remains 1 or 2 blocks away from its target after the update.
(The checkbox moves at the speed of the player, by so, the collision occurs either 3 blocks inside the collided block, or 2 or 1).

What can be done so the hitbox check the block ahead the player, and if true, then the player touches the block surface?

So far I have thought of these two potential solutions:

1. Check multiple times collision until the player match the block surface, so check 3 blocks ahead, if colliding, then check 2 blocks ahead, if colliding, then check 1 block ahead, if not colliding then this is the distance to the block ahead, then update the player position (by such amount of attempts) into the tile direction.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #axis_dodger-0 | 2023-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my submission to the Interstellar Jam 4!

The theme was "Another Dimension," so in this game you have to avoid projectiles by moving across your 1D line (an axis) in a 2D realm!

By collecting orbs you can change your axis and gain a score point. Once you get hit and run out of health, that's it, that's your score.

I would say you've beaten the game once you get a star/gold medal, 14 axis shifts, but you've really mastered it once you get the wow medal! (don't worry, its not that much further)

itch.io version: https://void-gamesplay.itch.io/axis-dodger

2 comments

Nameless 1

Happy new year! Here is our first PICO-8 demo of 1987.

Cart #nameless1-0 | 2023-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

AlgoTracker

Nameless 1 uses AlgoTracker, our custom 3-channel sample-based music tracker.

/ Nameless Algorithm
Jan 7, 1987

6 comments

Cart #harvesttataki-0 | 2023-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect a large harvest of carrots with the help of your cute rabbit friends! Don't scare the rabbits away! How many can you get before the day is done?

How to play?

• Use the direction keys to hit the different holes.
  • Hit the carrots, but not the rabbits.
  • Every 10 carrots, the game gets a little bit faster.
  • Hit too many rabbits, and the game is over.
  • When the night comes (about 2 minutes) the game is over.

What is this game?

This game was made in 24 hours for Ludum Dare 52. Theme: harvest.

The inspiration for the game was this post I made with a New-Years card. A few people said that the animation looked like a whac-a-mole game, and I decided to make that game when I had the chance. Turns out that the LD theme was perfect for it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

A few days ago I posted my new year card here, and two people mentioned that it looked like a whack-a-mole game. Well since the LD theme is "harvest", I decided to do that and make the whack-a-mole game!

Pick up the carrots, don't whack the rabbits that are helping you!

Cart #ld52_whackamole-0 | 2023-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

I have an Anbernic RG351V and it's been running PICO8 wonderfully over the past year. It's my primary PICO8 console.

However, I just updated it to v0.2.5e and now when I launch PICO8 (which boots into Splore) I hear the boot music but no display on the screen. No combination of key presses seems to turn on the screen.

The RG351 uses the Raspberry Pi version of PICO8.

I've followed the same update instructions as I have for the past several versions.
https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/11/12/guide-pico-8-on-retro-handhelds/#351ELEC

Up until now, it's been great and just trying to figure something out...or learn what type of animal needs sacrificed to make it work.

I know this is a very device-specific question but figured I might not be alone. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

3 comments

Cart #dorotka23-0 | 2023-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Hi, im learning Pico8 and i think its so coll, sorry for my poor english.

Im triying to make something like classic arcade game, the problem is i dont know how to make my char climb the 4 ladders.

im so happy and excited to learn more, i posted this because im stuck for 4 days trying a lot of things but didnt work for me.

Every little step is a big step for me.

thank you ^^

Cart #testarcd-0 | 2023-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

7 comments

Cart #amogussandbox2-0 | 2023-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

it is amogus sandbox 2 new cartridge with more blocks

1 comment

Cart #wudupimibu-0 | 2023-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a work-in-progress exploration of pico-8.

There is nothing fancy so far, just a ship, its missiles, and a bunch of enemies. Expect some bugs here and there, enemies exploding on their own for one!

1 comment

Het all!

It seems I'm on a cover kick.

Here is the lobby theme from Sweet Home by Capcom!

Cart #sweethome-1 | 2024-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is one of my favorites. It's a real shame this game never saw a release outside Japan, until fans translated it years later.

As always, let me know how you like it!

Updated 03/03/24

Slight formatting change for compatibility with latest version of Pico-8

2 comments

I took a small leap into a multicart game - one cart for the title/intro, another for the main game - so 2 carts in total. I've never tried this before and didn't think much of it until I go to uploading it to the BSS so it will get into Splore any whatnot. This is new territory for me but I know it's something folks do all the time. The docs are not very clear on how to handle it for the BBS.

Here's what I think I have to do...

1. Export the 2nd cart as a PNG: game_cart2.p8.png

2. Upload game_cart2 first so it can get an ID from the BBS: #mygame2

3. Once I have that ID, go into game_cart1 and add the load("#mygame2") call in the proper spot, in this case when the player press a button to start the game.

4. Export game_cart1 as a PNG and upload that to the BBS as a full release game so it has a thread and everything else. This is the cart that will be the one people see in Splore and on the BBS...right?

So assuming those steps are correct, how do I upload a cart to the BBS without it getting a thread?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

NOTE: The full game has since been released, and can be found here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=124298#p

I'm finally ready to show off the beta version of my first game - a monster catching/training/fighting game called Little Eidolons!

It features a huge explorable overworld map, over 100 variations of Eidolon you can catch, and over 50 moves!

I'd love it if people would be willing to check it out and tell me what ya think, so I can make the final version as awesome as possible!

The save files are compatible with future versions as well, so you don't have to worry about losing your monsters when updating to the release version~

Cart #littleeidolons_1-16 | 2023-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Last month I did "Tiny Code Christmas" (#lovebytetcc), and it was lots of fun, so I decided this month to try #genuary.

The idea is simple: every day you get a prompt from this website, and do some programming art based on it.

Or not. Since I'm a few days late, I decided to begin at prompt #1, "perfect loop":

Cart #genuary2023_01-0 | 2023-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was something I threw together rather quickly, just to get started. I used some of the ideas that I already used in #lovebytetcc, but tried to make sure that they all would loop back to zero after 8 seconds (length of pico8 standard gifs).

It could probably be done more intelligently, by restricting the time variable and making the animations based on that, but I just wanted to get something out of the door quickly.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #mikoball-1 | 2023-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little game i made based on the popular game "Space Ball" on scratch.mit.edu. the link is: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/103128232/
Made by micapolos

14 comments

Cart #runningout-0 | 2023-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi, friends!

Here's a demo featuring 5 glorious channels of lo-fi audio! Making a chipbreak-style tune in Pico-8 has been in the back of my mind ever since @carlc27843 discovered the undocumented PCM channel, and now I can finally check this off my list! After almost 2 years! πŸ˜…

All the drums are samples, triggered by watching the tracker with stat(56). The samples are then fed to the PCM channel by monitoring the buffer with stat(108). I'd originally planned on building a 5-channel tracker from this demo, but I had a tough time getting the samples to sync consistently. I'm not sure if that's because of my own shortcomings, or maybe because as @zep literally said, the sync is "not perfect".

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Hello.

While this could be worked into a Pico-8 cart I wanted to ask first if someone could explain the answer to this question.

The premise is a simple one.

You are in a game show and you are given 3-doors to choose from. Behind two of the doors are goats, which I'm assuming you can't take home as a pet, yet the 3rd has a brand new car in it, your prize for choosing correctly.

And you don't know which item is behind each door.

So let's suppose you choose the first door and as you are reaching for it you are STOPPED by the host who opens the third door revealing a goat. The host then asks you would you like to continue to open the door you chose (the 1st) or would you like to change and choose the 2nd one instead.

The answer we are looking for is what is the chance of choosing the car at this point ?

Initially you have a 1 out of 3 chance of choosing the car.

Yet according to what is considered the most intelligent person in the world, not me, sadly, :) , they said after the 3rd and only the 3rd door is open revealing the goat, that you have a 2 out 3 chance for picking the car.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

Cart #sokobird-2 | 2023-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrow Keys : Move / Push
C : Confirm / Menu
X : Rewind
32 Levels to solve !
The game will auto save your progress

Welcome to Sokobird !

Sokobird is a sokoban game based on Yoshio Murase levels.
These levels are small (no more than 8x8), and contains only 3 boxes to push, but can be delightfully tricky and surprisingly difficult to solve.
As I choose the 64x64 resolution to work with, and also to save the player progression, I had to discard some levels.

v1.2 changes :

• Some levels are reorganized.
  • Finishing the game will not longer erase your score.

Thank you all for your feedback !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #gameboy-2 | 2023-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a little Game Boy!
This is also some sort of controller test, I guess.

⬆️, ⬇️, ⬅️, ➑️, πŸ…ΎοΈ & ❎ are present.

2 comments

Cart #pisurv-4 | 2023-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Small experiment of survivor game
vitamined update

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->