BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #advent2022-13 | 2022-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

We're back with another 12 days of PICO-8 surprises. Every day a different game, animation, or coal-related nonsense will be revealed!

Happy Holidays!

Dec 14th: Mittens by ohhcurtains - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50645
Dec 15th: Santa Scouts by bikibird - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50669
Dec 16th: Freezing Knights by tinyevilwizard - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50683
Dec 17th: Avery's Angling Adventure by TheTomster - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50691
Dec 18th: Puffy Coats by bikibird - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50699
Dec 19th: Santa's Elf Workout by tinyevilwizard - https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=50717

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Sharing this post I wrote up a few days ago for cleaning up my code and reducing token costs:

https://blog.giovanh.com/blog/2022/12/11/jinja2-as-a-pico-8-preprocessor/

In summary:

• Constants would be a very useful language feature to have
  • Pico-8 doesn't have it and doesn't let you extend its preprocessor
  • You can roll your own and it works great
1 comment

Cart #quantattack_title-7 | 2023-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

• Arrow keys: move the cursor
  • X: swap blocks
  • C: manually raise blocks

Overview

QuantAttack is a match-2 type action puzzle game. Blocks are cleared by lining up two blocks of the same type vertically.

While the basic rules are this simple, QuantAttack introduces a fresh twist on block-clearing puzzlers. Some blocks are unique, and players must discover hidden patterns to clear them.

There are more than 40 patterns of such block combinations, and finding and mastering them is the fastest way to improve.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

I found a minor (except that to me it's kinda major) bug concerning puny font.

It seems to only affect PICO-8 when loading or reloading - whenever I save in an external source and reload, or when I boot up the console, all the puny font disappears.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out it was that _ENV thing. Thanks zep lexaloffle!

0 comments

edit after 0.2.5e

The cart works fine in local 0.2.5e PICO-8, but uploading to the BBS (i.e. inserting in this post) is still broken. I think the _ENV is being changed to _env still by some processing after upload(?).

earlier post

The following prints out 1 twice on 0.2.5c, but crashes on 0.2.5d with:

runtime error line 10 tab 0
return function_a(_ENV)
attempt to call global 'func_a'
(a nil value)
in func_b line 10 (tab 0)
at line 17 (tab 0)

Cart #rudekiwobu-2 | 2022-12-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Code:

function get_thing()
	return {
		func_a=function(_ENV)
			return 1
		end,
		func_b=function(_ENV)
			return func_a(_ENV)
		end
	}
end

thing=get_thing()

print(thing:func_a())
print(thing:func_b())

Makes some of the OO/class stuff (based on https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=116282) that I've been doing a little limited.

0 comments

Cart #kofajemop-0 | 2022-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Its War!
Just press Z... that's it.
This cartridge was mostly to make a quick n' dirty card library and use it in practice.

You can enable/disable auto mode in the pause menu (auto mode stops when a game ends).
When you finish a game you can press X to start a new game.

3 comments

The _env (lower case) keyword is no longer supported:

example cart: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=48907

likely a general bugs on upper/lower case remapping.

1 comment

Tiny Code Christmas

LoveByte’s Tiny Code Christmas is an event to help you take your first steps in demoscene sizecoding with Lua based fantasy consoles like TIC-80 and PICO-8!

Over 12 days, from the 12th to the 23rd of December, learn the effects and techniques used in Byte Jams, Byte Battles, and Tiny Intros!

About Tiny Code Christmas

Join us for 12 days of tiny challenges to gradually introduce you to size coding and effects!
A new video will be released each day to introduce a new concept and outline the challenge.

A little bit of programming knowledge will help but you don’t need a lot. The challenges will introduce demoscene concepts without jargon so it is friendly for newcomers to the scene! Tell your friends!

Sharing is caring!

If you feel like it, why not share what you’ve done with us on the LoveByte Discord,

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hey all! Time for some more bugfixes and esoteric features / QOL improvements to finish off 0.2.5*. And thanks to some snippets from @samhocevar's excellent z8lua, some cleaner code parsing. PICO-8 0.2.5d is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP and web (Education Edition).

0.2.5e

0.2.5e fixes a bug in the loader that causes uppercase characters to not be loaded as punyfont (e.g. breaking _ENV).

0.2.5d

Added: tline(bits) to set number of bits used for fractional part of mx,my,mdx,mdy (13 by default)
Added: ctrl+mousewheel to scroll code horizontally
Added: current bbs cartridge id shown in window title (config.txt show_cart_id_in_title to disable)
Added: poke(0x5f36, (@0x5f36)|0x80) to enable character wrap by default when printing
Added: blit_method in config.txt // Can use a software blitter by default (slower but more reliable)
Added: reminder when re-locating sprites that only the top half of map is altered by default
Added: draw boot sound as note glyphs on startup when sound is off
Changed: print() returns both max(cur_x), max(cur_y) and includes non-printed characters (e.g. tabs)
Changed: extcmd("folder") and extcmd("set_title", "foo") can now be used from bbs carts
Changed: Indexing a string out of range returns nil (was "")
Changed: Replaced most of pre-processor with Lua parser modifications based on z8lua (fixes various edge cases)
Changed: "a

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

Cart #tupapobire-0 | 2022-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Updated game. Now contains:
1.) Splash screen
2.) Title (press x) screen
3.) Scoring
4.) Working power boost

4 comments

Cart #timeaftertime-0 | 2022-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #clock_with_text-1 | 2022-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a cart displaying a clock inspired by the Hello World cart made by Zep.
Feel free to modify the text or something else. The point of this is just to make a digital clock.

Have fun

Credits
Zep

0 comments

Some more scratch blocks that I don’t know if they’re in pico 8

If you don’t know what they do:

-length of(“apple”):
-takes the input of a string and outputs how many characters are in that string (for example, length of(apple) = 5

-length of(listname):
-takes the input of an array and outputs how long that array is (for example:

X={1,2,5,3,7,}
Z=length of(x)
//Z == 5

)

So if you know if these are in pico 8 and what they are please tell me

3 comments

Cart #hearwhatihear-0 | 2022-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

I noticed today because I have a mouse wheel that can unlock and spin that it is possible to scroll very far past the end of a text tab in PICO-8, and then I have to spin it all the way back up. Even if there's no white space populating the document. I would expect scrolling to stop when the last character hits the top or just above the top of the screen or something like that. Hard to illustrate with a gif since you can't know when I'm using the mouse wheel (except by a pause and the cursor is jittering cause i'm hammering the mouse wheel down a bunch of times then up), but, here's one anyway.

0 comments

Hi! I'm thinking install Linux in an old HP Mini 210 32bits netbook but not sure wich Linux distro install on it in order to use Pico-8. I've searching in the Pico-8 docs but I don't find nothing clear and I'm very newbie in Linux.
Anybody knows what is the "minimal" Linux version/distribution that allows me using Pico-8?
Thanks in advance!
Regards.

5 comments

One nice thing about objects is that objects set with the = operator or as arguments are all 'linked' meaning, among other things, you can provide them as arguments for a function call and that function will be able to edit the local copy of that object and have it affect the original one too. But sometimes, you don't want that. Sometimes you want to copy an object, make changes to it, and then discard the new copy without affecting the old one. That's why I've created a little helper function for this circumstance. Actually, I've created several. Here's the fully-featured 'default' function:

function cpy_obj(obj,recursion)
	if type(obj)=="table" then
		local return_value={}
		for k,v in pairs(obj) do
			if recursion then
				v=cpy_obj(v,true)
			end
			return_value[k]=v
		end
		return return_value
	else
		return obj
	end
end

Usage: copy= cpy_obj(𝘰𝘣𝘫𝘦𝘤𝘵) or function_call( cpy_obj(𝘰𝘣𝘫𝘦𝘤𝘵) )

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #imeltwithyou-0 | 2022-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #g42calc-0 | 2022-12-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Logarithm Function: https://pico-8.fandom.com/wiki/Math

A simple calculator cartridge.

Controls:

(D-pad) Move Cursor
(O) Selected Button

Limitations:

• Numbers only go up to 32767 before wrapping around
• Numbers are rounded to 4 digits
• Logarithm function is approximated
• Generally bad code

5 comments

Cart #slowdown-0 | 2022-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v00 12-10-22)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #slowdown

In this demo use the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys to control actual runtime speed of the cart. Examine the code to see how it is done.

Hello.

As you know conventional code allows you to run your cart in 30fps or 60fps.

However making use of the seldom known command, _set_fps() you can set any of these values or an arbitrary one.

Is there a way of setting FPS <30 inside a cart that does make use of _update() or _update60() ?

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->