BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #gubegimofi-0 | 2022-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

I'm going to start with my general understanding and label questions [Q#] with the hope someone can fill in the blanks. Consider the discussion of 'cost' in terms of speed/cpu. I'm hoping there's a general concept I'm missing that will cleanup the flurry of questions around [Q2], regardless please bear with me:

General code is written topdown like the below where you define the function at the top and then you can simply call said function below that point to access the block inside. I don't fully understand the cost, in terms of lua itself, associated with defining 'function a()end' (the pico8 wiki has general pico8 cycle costs). My understanding though is the program won't look inside of the function 'until' I call it and so there is simply some generic predefined 'base cost'(cpu cycles) to defining a function and this cost is not affected by the number of parameters or whatever is inside the function....tldr it's always a flat cost each time the compiler/better-word runs down that part of the page and sees you want to define a function. So this usually amounts to the general idea of 'define the function once at the top of the code' and then call it as many times as u need where u need to after:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

I am running into a curious situation, @zep, regarding Pico-8 when it comes to lowercase letters.

For instance, in new code type this:

To type the lowercase letters you will need to press CTRL+P first, then type the letters, then press CTRL+P afterwards to return to normal uppercase letter mode.

Now highlight the code. The easiest way to do this is to triple-click it. Press CTRL+C to copy it.

Now paste it in any text editor like Notepad or even a message in here with CTRL+V. You will get the following:

a="abcdefg 𝘢𝘣𝘤𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘨"

Why is the text italicized ?

If you run the code and then use printh(a,"@clip") and then CTRL+V in the same text editor, you get this:

abcdefg ABCDEFG

Which is think is more correct. What do you guys think is going on here and are you getting the same results I do ?

9 comments

Hello, @zep.

You have seen that loading pause that appears in the top-left-hand corner of the screen every time you use CSTORE(), RELOAD(), or EXPORT (PNG) in your code. This is voluntary. I'm certain you chose it for a good reason. Sometimes I can't see the reasons you do. Yet it's not from not trying to.

I feel, however, the delay is artificial and unnecessary. You can prove this by IMPORTING a PNG image and it loads immediately with no delay at all, inside your code or out.

So how about this ? You have the pause when you use it the first time running if you must. Then you can continue to have the pause each time for every time you change the filename. However, if it were used in such a way that only =1= filename were used, for instance, to make it a random access file to save your current work, then it would be most helpful to me, perhaps to others, to remove that pause.

So your work may be saved automatically every minute or so minus the icon and timeout animation.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #beautifulrunaway-0 | 2022-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This one is short but sweet. I hope you enjoy it! 😊

7 comments

Cart #pinema-0 | 2022-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #wojiranega-0 | 2022-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Interview With Unikotoast Creator of "Buns: Bunny Survivor"-Pico-View #2

Uniko:@unikotast
U = Uniko

Marina:@MarinaMakes
M = Marina

Their games:
Buns: Bunny Survivor (click link)

Witchcraft Tower Defense (click link)

M: So, in your own words, who are you and what pico-projects have you made?

U: I'm a begginer indie game dev, I've started playing around with Pico-8 around 7 months ago. I really liked Vampire Survivors and wanted to make something similar but I did not want to invest a lot of time into learning game engines so Pico-8 was perfect. I never ever did anything gamedev related but I have a decent experience in software engineering. I only made 2 games https://unikotoast.itch.io

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #cdcoolthing-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

third_person_camera

i want to make a 3d game in pico8, but i without time to spend in gamedev ,with the time i have left i doing some camera work , diss a tps style camera(i have to charge some variables to accommodate to the pico8 128x128 screen) , i hope you all can find a good use to it , i also want to thanks the help i got from freds72 (the guy who ported doom to pico8), and again i using sokpop sorce code as reference.

2 comments

Cart #yidomiwone-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_y2GAlQFM

2 comments

A very early draft line editor which could potentially grow to edit animations in the style of the Italian cartoon La Linea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Linea_%28TV_series%29

Arrows to move the dot, C to split the line at that point, X to move to the previous point, and that's all it has for now.

Cart #fbgiyuke-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Just a little weekend "I need a break from my projects" project.

Cart #noise_march-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Uses the marching squares algorithm to determine tile placement at each step and 3 dimensional value noise to animate it.

0 comments

Cart #cestapunta-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First Game - Working on Collision and Some Physics. Enjoy !
Cesta Punta is old word for Pelote Basque, a very old game played in South of France.
Cheers !

0 comments

Snakee is demake of snake game with many upgrades.

Cart #snakee-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #snakee_crt-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #hearten_pre-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

An undertale-themed bullet-hell survival arcade game.

Survive for as long as you can against waves of bullet patterns.
The patterns will get harder if you persist. But stay heartened.
Graze against bullets to build your green energy meter. Fill it to heal slightly.
Hold square to dash at the cost of green energy (if you have any).
You can still dash when your energy is at zero, and it's free.
Every time you heal, the amount of energy you need to heal again gets bigger.

Get bonus points for each wave you complete without taking damage.
Get bonus points for healing. Get more bonus points for healing when at full health.

Controls:

use d-pad to move and make menu selections

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #booting-2 | 2022-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #napukihihi-1 | 2022-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made this as the first few steps towards actually making a game out of it! Thanks to @Mot for the pseudo 3D racer tutorial, and @aquova and @Svetlana for code I used for some of the effects.

If anyone has any ideas how to make objects draw on top of the road so I can put a car in, and maybe make it an actual game, I'd appreciate them!

0.2 Update! Addded a sprite (currently borrowed from Pico World Race - Thanks @PAK9 - until I can do some decent pixel art!) And some control! Just L and R so far, but I'm working on it!

Unfortunately, I didn't understand all of the code from @Mot 's tutorial so if anyone has any tips on what I could cut and perhaps improve performance, that'd be excellent and much appreciated!

0 comments

I'm having the same issue as posted here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pico8/comments/g45cpk/interface_shimmer_on_macos/

Pico-8 ver 0.2.5c

Quote:
"Is anybody experiencing this? It was blinking for a while, restart did not help, then I got distracted with something and now it's okay again.

https://imgur.com/a/5vsVxdv

Update: Then it shimmers again. It is just random. And it’s very annoying, as there is no way to fix it.
}

0 comments

Cart #jormun-0 | 2022-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made by Radical Sunset (me and Tyw1n93)

During a private game jam.

About

Battle your friend!
Create loops of train tracks to go faster and generate train carts. Then make your opponent crash!

Who will win?
Prove that you are the best train conductor around!

Thanks for playing!

2 comments

Cart #paradise-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #paradise_racing-0 | 2022-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->