All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #halloween-2 | 2022-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #the_harvest-1 | 2022-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

harvest

1 comment

Cart #fillwithsand-3 | 2022-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

Fill with sand is sand/dust puzzle game. In each level you have to create a mechanism that solves the puzzle.
Each level can be solved usually in multiple ways (tested).

Technical notes

Simulation is deterministic - same inputs yield same results (if not let me know and I have to fix it). Framerate should be stable no matter what you do.

The game is unfinished but it's already playable. Feedback is welcome. Have fun!

Changelog

Version 3

• +2 levels

Version 2

• new feature: prohibited materials
  • +1 level

Version 1

• added small delay to cursor movement for more precise painting
  • added tutorials/showcases to levels 2-5

Version 0

• initial commit
9 comments

Cart #demonblaster-1 | 2023-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The demons are coming! Grab your trusted machine gun and rocket launcher, and pile up as many horned bastards as you can. Use arrow keys to move, left mouse button to shoot bullets, right mouse button to shoot rockets. Happy Halloween!

Update 03/05/2023: Changed enemy spawn pattern, added NUKES for mass demon carnage.

Big thanks to user dw817 for persistent high score system!

6 comments

Cart #himohimusi-2 | 2022-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Welcome to Tricky Treats, where at last, pumpkins get a chance to eat. But beware! This one has some dietary restrictions!

How to Play

• Try to feed the Jack-O-Lantern during its demonic, thirty-second midnight ride.
  • The left and right arrows control your hands. Press and hold left or right to grab something, and release to toss into the gourd's gaping maw.
  • Press the down arrow to slow your hideous hell-steed and grab things more easily.
  • Press the Z and X buttons to interact with your new friend.

I made this game over the course of the last week and had a blast. Hope you enjoy it!

Special Thanks to Caleb, Hanahlie, Asher, Elia, Coco, Marigold, Pico, Martin, JW, Zach, Frank, the entire pico-8 community, and Sandy.

2 comments

Cart #habit_tracker-2 | 2022-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Load with load #habit_tracker

They say it takes 90 days to make a permanent lifestyle change, but that's not a symmetrical shape so let's go with 100 instead.

This habit tracker can track between 9 different habits with persistent cart storage. Each habit has a different colour scheme to help you keep track. Habit charts can be cleared individually or the whole memory can be wiped from the pause menu.

Comes with ...let's see here... 13 motivational quotes that are randomised on startup to get you feeling pumped. What happens if you keep it up for 100 days?

Let me know if there's any features missing (X's in boxes as well?) or just drop your favourite motivational quote that's under 33 characters long.

0 comments

Cart #yonihififo-0 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You play as Gerry in his quest to save as many souls as he can from the clutches of a demon lurking in the dark. His only tool is a lantern, which will keep the demon away, but also the souls he's trying to save. See how many you can save before you meet your end.

1 comment

Cart #shotgun_night-0 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Monsters are coming for your grave. Fend them of with you trust shotgun and ghostly abilities. Now with a new multiplayer versus mode!

Controls
Movement: Arrows
Aiming: Arrows
Jumping: Z/C
Shooting X/V

Defend your tombstone from the monsters by either shooting them, or tackling them. (Both with X) If you need to get back to the ground, you can jump (Z) to return without bouncing up again. Can you survive until wave 20?

In Versus mode, you and a friend compete in getting the most kills while play through the game.​ Every enemy gives the same amount of score, so there might be some strategy of which enemies to aim for first.
If you want to play Versus. I recommend that one or both players use a controller, but only keyboard should work just fine too.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #hozituysa-0 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The simplest game for PICO-8 ever

2 comments

Cart #slimeclimb-0 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

SLIME CLIMB

Slime Climb is an endless vertical platformer inspired by the mode from Fall Guys. Platform through each floor to escape the rising slime, getting faster as you go.

Post your high scores in the comments!

2 comments

Discontinued

A MS-DOS inspired command line VM.

Features:
Check date and time,
View files,
Make new files,
Delete files,
Recycle bin so you don't accidentally lose your files,
Explore the virtual web, which may or may not delete all your files,
Make a custom website,
And a secret function which isn't documented.

There sadly isn't support for folders yet.
I tried to maintain the usual names, but I didn't want to mess around, changing built-in functions.
Remember h() for help!

V. 1.2:

Changes:
Added customweb()

Cart #p8dosv1_2-0 | 2022-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V. 1.1:

Cart #p8dos-1 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #parachuteperil-0 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello agent. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to infiltrate the base of the flies. We have located it in a nearby mountain range. You have been equipped with a parachute and a special wind controlling device- simply press the Z key to activate the wind at any time. Avoid the walls and the flies around their base- failure is not an option.

Your mission begins at nightfall. Good luck, agent.

(Featuring music by AbyssalMari- check out their other stuff here)

4 comments

Cart #crillion-2 | 2022-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A very simple game. Your goal is to destroy all blocks. The problem: You can only move the ball horizontally, the ball moves up and down automatically.

Crillion is an adaptation of the game of the same name on the C64. This release contains the levels of the three official Crillion releases: Crillion, Crillion '93 (hard), Crillion II (very hard). In addition, the levels of Brainion are included, which are designed more than puzzles. And "Junior" from Crillion Junior - a very easy level set.

Rules

Block

[64x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #habepekna-0 | 2022-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First cart, couldn't come up with an original concept simple enough so I made this
probably horribly inefficient in its programming, though I wrote it all myself.
Now I guess it's time to try making something a bit bigger.

1 comment

Hello, I hope this is not out of line. I know I opened a topic earlier regarding Fantasy Consoles using 4-bits which started a deep discussion:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31985

So I thought I would bring up another concern of mine. How much can you store in 256-bytes of data ?

"The answer, to life, the universe, and everything !"

Is not 42.

No it's not.

No, in fact it may very well be 256.

I have been giving a lot of thought, most of my life really, to just how much data 256-bytes is. Not just for Pico-8 but in instances regarding philosophy, theology, and mathematics. Permutations involving matching identifications especially.

I am now fully believing that is possible to store an entire universe (or at least the molecular design for a block of cheese), inside the span of 256-bytes of data.

How is this possible ?

Well if we consider that life itself is made up of billions, trillions, of atoms, then isn't it possible that 256-bytes of data is enough to store all that complex information ?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Cart #pondminton-0 | 2022-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #phoneinput-0 | 2022-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v00 10-28-22)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #phoneinput

Hello there !

To try out the code above, use the arrow keys to navigate, the 🅾️ key to select a character and the ❎ key to erase it. For a real challenge try typing out, "NEIGHBOR" as quickly as you can.

Since it may be a-while for Pico-8 to have its own onboard keyboard to let you type in your name for games and stuff, I was thinking of the marvel of a touch-tone telephone and how you can type in a name for instance for speed-dial.

Well it's pretty nifty what it does. On my own real phone for instance:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

When I'm making games or tweetcarts, I often adjust numbers just a tiny bit, then rerun the whole game. e.g. I change the player speed by 0.1, then change it back, then try 0.05...

This is a bit slow, so here's a library I made to help me do it faster. I also find it useful for analyzing other people's tweetcarts -- if I can easily adjust the values they use, I can quickly figure out what they mean

setup

• load #twiddler
  • copy the knobs.lua + helpers tabs into your game
  • use kn[1], kn[2], ... kn[8] in place of any number
  • add twiddler() to the end of your _draw function

Now, run your code:

• press tab and adjust the values (see "controls" below)
  • press tab again -- the values will be copied to your clipboard
  • paste the values into the start of your code to save them

example 1

Start with a tweetcart you want to study. For example, this one by 2DArray: https://twitter.com/2DArray/status/1492566780451205120

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=119729#p)
1 comment

Direct the water to the bottom of the screen.

Basic gameplay is done, so now working on new gameplay elements, levels, and music. Would love some feedback please.

Cart #waterfall_beta1-1 | 2022-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

10 comments

recently, while investigating the pico-8 preproccesor, i found some really weird behaviour, which culminated in some very strange token optimizations, and an infinite token exploit

Arithmetic assignment save

often, you want to perform multiple arithmetic operations on a varible, then assign it to itself. for example, a=2*a+1

the 2 ways you'd do this normally in pico-8
are

a=2*a+1 -- 7 tokens

a*=2
a+=1 -- 6 tokens

however, using preproccesor trickery, we can reduce it even more:

a*=2 
+1 -- 5 tokens

the reason this works is because the preprocessor patching for += works line-wise, so this would be patched to

a= a*(2)
+1

Infinite token exploit #1

this exploit allows you to run any code that is on 1 line, and doesn't use any pico-8 preproccesor based syntax extensions (i.e. +=, shorthand if, ?), while only costing 8 tokens
it works as follows:

a={}
a["[t"]+=" < your code here > t(

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=119789#p)
10 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->