BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #terra_nova_pinball-2 | 2022-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Terra Nova Pinball

Ricochet around an alien world in this Pico-8 pinball table.

Basic Gameplay

Launch the ball onto the table using ⬆️/⬇️ to control the launch power and 🅾️/❎ to release the ball.

Use the flippers (⬅️/➡️ by default, can be configured in the menu) to keep the ball from draining out the bottom of the table, hitting targets and bumpers and completing minigames (see below) to score points.

You have 3 balls to score as many points as you can, and record a new highscore!

If the ball drains within 15s of launching, you get a free relaunch.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

35 comments

Cart #coffin_dance_tributengame-0 | 2022-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Howdy BBS community!

As usual I'm indebted to the expertise of the users on here! This is my first complete game and I suspect it's barely held together code-wise. I'm super happy to get any feedback if you see something in the code that could be improved or makes your toes curl.

This is Coffin Dance! Why are you dancing? Play to find out!

Credits:
"Coffin Dance" by AJJ
Originally written by Ben Gallaty and Sean Bonnette
Screen FX using routines by ZerkDev
Art, arrangement, and dirty code by me, aka dreams.EGA, who you can find on Twitter and Instagram!

1 comment

Cart #explosions-0 | 2022-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls and Gameplay

Welcome to Berry Explosions! In this game, you use the ARROW KEYS to move and X to shoot. You can move freely in the game space and you don't need to tap multiple times the X key, it can be held and you'll shoot on a fixed interval. You'll need to kill invader aliens! Your gun is simple, but can stun enemies for a short period of time (Maybe you can even levelup *wink wink*) to make the act of killing them even more fun!

Behind the Scenes

The game started out as a collaboration (Me + KalliDev) to finally finish something! The game is for the Basic SHMUP Showcase Game Jam. I was struggling to make the game fun, so I added the stun mechanic to make the main verb of the game (shooting) more fun. Then the rest flowed naturally :)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #snake2411-0 | 2022-08-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SNAKE

This is the classic snake game developped on PICO-8.

Eat the apples and make your snake grow.
Direct it with the directional arrows of the keyboard.
The snake's speed changes as the game progresses.

0 comments

Super duper early WIP monster fighting game. Literally only a menu that does nothing. Up and down to move the cursor.

I am mostly uploading right now to ask for help. If you open the game you'll see I have a little border drawn and am putting text inside of it. Is there any way to draw text in here more easily? The naive approach of printing each time leaves leftover text. My thought was to us rectfill but then the text doesn't print over it (despite calling print afterwards). I've put the relevant code below of what I'm using. My thought it to just use solid background (\#0 control code) but this would still mean I need to print over the full area each time (by padding).

This just seems like it would be something more textual games have run into before and I was wondering what the approach is.

Thanks!

function _draw()
	-- ...snip...
	draw_menu()
end

menu={"fight", "item", "run"}
selection=0

function draw_menu()
	local text=""

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=116332#p)
2 comments

Cart #mushroommountain-1 | 2022-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mushroom Mountain

Support this game on itch.io!

A puzzle game where time moves when you do. Find your way up the twisting trails of the mountain.

Cultivate

Plant, destroy, grow, and spread mushrooms to control trail doors. Discover the unique properties of each type as you progress.

Solve

Use multi-purpose items to find a way forward. Use the shovel to clear a path, create fertile ground, defend yourself, and more. Push crates to make barriers, bridges, or a safe path through a patch of deadly, poison mushrooms.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #mot_asteriods-1 | 2024-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is a little demo of a 2D transformation library I put together.
I chose a simple Asteroids clone because it is a good example of rotation and scaling.
The first tab contains the game. The second tab contains the library.

The library adds commands that affect 2D drawing commands, allowing you to rotate, scale and translate output, similar to the transformation commands in HTML Canvas or the old OpenGL 1.1 matrix stack.

It affects the following Pico-8 drawing commands:

• pset
  • line
  • rect/rectfill
  • circ/circfill
  • map
  • spr
  • sspr

Notes:

• Be aware that spr, sspr and map are significantly slower as they all have to perform several tline calls internally.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hey there! I'm back with another game. I made this one at school during lunch because I had nothing better to do. So here you go. It is an infinite platformer (Who'da thought?), and I'm actually really proud of it!

I guess I just really like infinite games, because thats kinda all I have made.

Cart #infplat-0 | 2022-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Understanding ENVIRONMENTS

Inherited from native LUA, _𝘦𝘯𝘷 (NOTE: type it in PUNY FONT, won't work otherwise! For External editors, write it in CAPS _ENV so it transfers as PUNY FONT inside PICO-8) can be a tricky feature to understand and use (abuse?). There's been some talking around this subject and as I am actually using it heavily in my coding style (very OOP I'm afraid...) I thought I could share some knowledge around it.

If we take the information directly from LUA's manual what we are told is the following:

As will be discussed in §3.2 and §3.3.3, any reference to a free name (that is, a name not bound to any declaration) var is syntactically translated to _ENV.var. Moreover, every chunk is compiled in the scope of an external local variable named _ENV (see §3.3.2), so _ENV itself is never a free name in a chunk.

Despite the existence of this external _ENV variable and the translation of free names, _ENV is a completely regular name. In particular, you can define new variables and parameters with that name. Each reference to a free name uses the _ENV that is visible at that point in the program, following the usual visibility rules of Lua (see §3.5).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

42 comments

Cart #clear_your_mind_beta-3 | 2022-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Atan2 in PICO-8 returns different values than other programming languages such as python.

For python the result is:

But in PICO-8 it is:

How would I implement the python Atan2 into PICO-8?

2 comments

Cart #jazaresape-0 | 2022-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You're a young adventurer who has wandered deep into a cave of werecats. As you wander in the dark cave, you accidentally step on a cat's tail. In retaliation, you are bitten and subsequently turned into a werecat. You must now find a way to turn back.

-Arrow keys to move

-X to jump

-Z to talk

-CTRL+R to restart

This is a short platformer for Major Jam 5. The theme was legends and the limitation was that the gameplay must reach beyond the game space. I implemented this limitation by making the cat's list and map image files separate from the game.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #reg80workstation-0 | 2022-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

For a game I'm making, I want it to be infinitely generated. For this, I need to know how to efficiently remove all map tiles. Is there any way to quickly do this? The only thing I can think of is setting everything to sprite 000, with mset(). I imagine this would be fairly computer intensive, so how would I do this?

2 comments

Cart #jcdodge1-0 | 2022-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple game where you have to dodge stuff. You get points for passing under debris, and you get more points when they're close to the ground.

Controls:
-Left/Right to move
-Z while moving to dash

Items:
-Dash upgrade: Makes your dash go farther
-Pause: The next time you dash, the debris will pause briefly
-Stopwatch: Slows down the debris for a few seconds
-Heart: Gives you an extra chance to get hit before you lose
-x2 Multiplier: Doubles your multiplier, making you earn points much faster!

0 comments

Another one Pico-8 font, but that one with fan (mine) support of Cyrillic Slavic Languages (Ukrainian, Belorusian, Russian)

(Á got a bug)
non-english letters (characters):
À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ê Ì
Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù
Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJ2Fi6puJOyTLdGJRZqYZ1V8KqSwbZlR/view?usp=sharing
(of course designer and copyrights is not mine, fontstruct issue)

0 comments

Bubble sort Algorithm example

Cart #tiyudezuwo-0 | 2022-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone!
First experiment with pico-8, visualising the bubble sort algorithm steps, for the array {3,10,5,7,2,13,1}.

3 comments

Cart #jijugbage-0 | 2022-08-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi everyone! I'm working on a platformer that has endless map loop.
But now, I got stuck because I don't understand how to make the collision follow the map scroll.
In reddit, I was given a lot of great advices, but I can't solve this problem.
People say ''Use the camera to scroll map with collision'', can anyone tell me what should I do?
So sorry for my being a beginner.

2 comments

Cart #goiwmeep-1 | 2023-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(Updated to fix a crash caused by a PICO-8 update)

This was made in 48h back in February for a stream event revolving mods of CELESTE Classic- finally got around to posting it here! :D This version comes with an "Explorer Mode" (accessed via the pause menu) to skip/practice various sections.

Based on Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy by Bennett Foddy

🎵 Post-jam music by RubyRed 🎵

Controls

Mouse - Move hammer
Left-click - Push hammer

Explorer Mode Controls

Right-click - Warp to mouse position
Middle-click - Warp the 1-up to your hammer

12 comments

A while back, I saw someone had made a platformer engine in <100 lines of code. The game itself worked, but collision detection wasn't great (You could jump up through a wall)

A while later, I started to make my own platformer.
The way it runs, its actually less than 100 lines of code. so here it is.
To add a new collision block, give it the first flag.

Here it is, but it isn't commented. Might do that soon.

Cart #kokitayit-0 | 2022-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->