3 comments

Cart #c_e_l_e_s_t_e-0 | 2022-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

madeline but slow

4 comments

Cart #summerleste-0 | 2022-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

summer

2 comments

Hi

I've been working on a simple platformer and I have a problem with coding in the music to be played in the game. I am aware of how to play sound effects and how to use the music function but it does not allow me to have the music loop and keep playing. How do I implement looping music to my game? Thanks.

1 comment

Cart #zatonuhoza-0 | 2022-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this a couple of months ago and never got around to posting it, so here it is! Press button, drop coin, simple as that. Different colored coins are worth more!

There's not much challenge, this was more of just a "tech demo" I made while learning how to do z-index sorting and more precise collisions.

The code is actually very simple, so if anyone would like to expand this or improve on it, be my guest! I'd appreciate a credit though :)

3 comments

TL;DR

the methods to detect or inhibit Pause button apparently do not work using the Web Player Pause button.

More Details:

In my game Amidus I needed to hide the stage during Pause to avoid cheating as it's based on a short time to realise what's the correct path to take.
So I implemented a few methods like checking for btn(6) and even inhibit pause during that short phase with the timer running using poke(0x5f30,1) as you can see in the code (carts below).

As both methods work beautifully using the internal Pause P/Enter, both failed to work using the Web Player Pause button that apparently overrides both checks.

I tried to ask in the Discord #help and they suggested to report the bug here as it's an unexpected behaviour.

On this version you can test the "inhibited Pause" poke(0x5f30,1) method:

Cart #amidus-4 | 2022-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

In TIC-80, you can type on the command prompt "help" followed by the name of any built in function and the console will then output a short explanation about how to use that function. It would be nice to have something like this in Pico-8 as well. For example, you type in the command prompt:

help spr

and then Pico-8 outputs a short explanation of how spr works, followed by the parameters it takes.

2 comments

Cart #zohitafiti-2 | 2022-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

EDIT: Following the suggestions below, I have implemented a tanks system. You need to protect the tanks, and refill water from them to put out fires. Fires will break tanks. Also territory is now damaged by prolonged fires, so be sure to put out those fires real quick!

Finally, if you get stuck, use the random teleport to get to a different location. That won't save you for long though!

Let me know if you find any bugs, and thanks a lot to Cowirrie for the amazing ideas.

Original post :

Hi everyone! I am releasing Fires Everywhere, my first game on Pico-8. It is still under a bit of revision, but the main stuff is done I believe. Hope you enjoy it, and let me know what you think!

Lessons learnt:

1. Particle systems are so expensive! The game currently has ~100 particles at any point of time, and that itself takes up 0.1 CPU.

2. Music is impossible. You can see my unsuccessful attempts in the music/sfx tabs. That's why the game has no music.

3. A large number of animations is a big no-no. I have too many of them (~340 max) in the fires. That takes up another 0.3-0.4 of the CPU.
4 comments

Cart #moveandcollision-0 | 2022-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I release this under the CC0 1.0 license: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

This a simple collision system I wrote for fun. It can handle hit boxes with varying sizes and with different amounts of reference/sample points. It can handle collisions using tiles or used x/y positions from objects.

Also, in this example there's code for an 8 way movement system with acceleration and sliding along walls.

The code is VERY commented, so you can follow along and see what each part of it is doing/why it's there.

Feel free to use this in any sort of project.
If this was useful to you, consider buying me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/profpatonildo70266

0 comments

The Last Antbender

Cart #antbender-0 | 2022-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This third little PICO-8 game was created for the Weekly Game Jam - Week 255.

About the game:

Here you control Aela, the last Antbender and her ants. But beware, these are deadly. Dodge the ants and steer your way to the goal.

I wish you a lot of fun!

How to play:

• Control Aela with the arrow keys.
  • Use Z/C to command jumping ants to jump.
  • With X/V you command ants to run.

For the best gaming experience, you should play the game in full screen (on the browser) or locally (see downloads) on the PC!

Credits:

• Music: Space by @gruber_music
  • Art, Programming, Sounds: Made by Peanutsfly

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #kufijejapo-3 | 2022-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

by zam
Cart #dumpty-1 | 2022-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Incredibly dumb first cart

1 comment

Cart #amidus-4 | 2022-06-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Any key to start/skip waiting screens.
➡️ Right Arrow to Speed up the loop while choosing the path.
➡️ During the waiting screen at the end of every success or fail, use Right Arrow to -recklessly- advance Level (added for testing purposes but you could use that to test your skills at advanced difficulty, no actual benefit to score obviously, you simply skip easier levels)

Game Description

The 80's arcade game Amidar had a bonus stage every two levels, this pico-8 game helps in training your skills for that stage until extreme levels. The difficulty and complexity of random stages gradually increases at every level.

For those unfamiliar with Amidar: at first it might seem "based on luck" but it's definitely not:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Space Race

Cart #spaceracewaddles-5 | 2022-12-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first pico-8 game, I had a lot of fun making this, I hope you'll have fun playing it!

Any suggestions are welcome.

3 comments

Cart #picosweeper-0 | 2022-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a little minesweeper clone a while back and thought I'd share it for SPLORE users!

Added a bit of juice for exploding mines. Feedback welcome :)

1 comment

Cart #conway_s_game_of_life-0 | 2022-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Conway's game of life
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

Interesting use of the map with mget, mset and memcpy.

0 comments

Hello, I have a use case for some external tooling interacting with a running game. While the game is running I'd like it to process messages sent to it by the tooling. Currently it's not possible to do non-blocking reads from stdin. Calls to serial(0x804, ...) will block until the pico 8 process receives something. What I'd like to do is something like this:

function _update()
  -- Hypothetically stat returns true if there's data available on stdin, false otherwise,
  if stat(123) then
    serial(0x804, 0x4300, 1)
    local message_type = peek(0x4300, 1)
    process_message(message_type)
  end
end

It would be useful to have some way to tell if there's data available on stdin or to perform non-blocking reads from stdin.

7 comments

Cart #durnshire_xing-1 | 2022-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Durnshire Crossing

A Frogger remake

My very first full game on Pico-8! It's a simple fantasy-themed Frogger-like game, with goblins and orcs and stuff. Very simple, just use arrow keys to move around and avoid the monsters along the way. Cross the river with the barrels and boats and grab all coins to get to the next level! Advance far enough and battle the guardian dragon!

Hope you enjoy!

1 comment

Cart #orchard-4 | 2022-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Move card: ⬆️ ⬅️ ⬇️ ➡️ keys
Rotate card: tap "Z" key
Place card: hold "Z" key + tap ⬇️ key
Help screen: hold "X" key

Rules

The aim of the game is to grow trees in your orchard by placing cards. The more trees you have, and the older the trees are, the more points you will score. 🌳

You can only place cards when at least one of its fruit types (apple/lemon/blueberry) overlaps an existing fruit type in the orchard. Once a card is placed, any matching fruit types underneath the card will grow.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Cart #buweyajazi-5 | 2022-06-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Abandoned: a celeste classic mod
This mod adds 3 new mechanics, a completely new set of levels, and even a 100% original not-so-secret route that's definitely fun i promise.
The difficulty of this mod is above normal celeste difficulty, so I would recommend playing the base game if you haven't already

Controls:
jump: z/c
move: arrow keys
dash: x

v4 update: made one level more speedrun friendly and fixed the dashing after using cannon bug

If you get stuck feel free to ping me @coolelectronics on the celeste classic discord server.

23 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->