hard but less
how to beat 200M

16 comments

Cart #nupogodi-3 | 2022-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A PICO-8 tribute to "Ну, погоди!" - a Soviet clone of Nintendo EG-26 Egg
https://github.com/brotherdetjr/nupogodi

Changelog:
nupogodi-3: Improved final scene.
nupogodi-1: Disabled (x) and (o) during the game (thanks to @dw817 for the idea!). Added a final scene when player reaches 1000 eggs.
nupogodi-0: Initial release.

7 comments

Cart #riverraider_0_1-0 | 2022-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A River Raid heavily inspired game.

Shot on enemies and avoid hitting the ground on this classic inspiring gameplay.
Run for your highscore at an infinity loop map.

Controls:

-Left and right to move the airplane;
-(X) to shot.

This is my first Pico-8 cartridge. I'm open to suggestions! =)

Update 0.1.1:

• Tinny gradual turning;
  • Change sprite at turning;
  • Bullet hitbox more accurate;
  • Player hitbox adjusted;
  • Mobs hitbox adjusted;
  • Added window at game over screen;
  • Better distribution of the bottom bar;
  • Show highscore at the bottom bar;
  • Some minor bug fixes;
  • (yet with just one life).
4 comments

Cart #virtdeckcard-17 | 2022-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v17 07-26-22)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #virtdeckcard

VVhat's new ?

07-26-22

• Where do I begin ?
  • Overhauled entire engine.

• New Dialog Window. When flashing "?" appears, use LEFT and RIGHT arrows to select choices followed by the 🅾️ key.

• Select Quick LOAD/SAVE state to remember your work between reset. Select from menu "Configuration" to automate so your work is saved every time.

• You can now work on a new set of cards without affecting internal memory, SRAM, or the virtual HD (not yet in use).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #muyeredese-0 | 2022-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #myplatformerprototype-2 | 2022-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Gifs

Screenshots

About

First upload of my platformer prototype for feedback.

Controls

Walk with arrow keys, jump with X key.

Current features

Wall Jump, variable jump height, and my first attempt at implementing a coyote time.

changes

Added sfx to the jump, tweaked the way the player falls after releasing the button and added character animations.

2 comments

Cart #fugue_blaster-2 | 2023-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A fugue approaches

BLAST IT!

Land on the notes to blast them.

Blasting notes gives you points.

Higher notes give you more points.

You can use points to hover with ~antigravity~

CONTROLS

⬅️➡️ - Move
🅾️ - Jump
❎ - Antigravity

CHANGELOG

• 1/5/2023
    Improved the music a lot with new fat fugue beats.
    Added some particle effects.
    Added a floor.
    Reversed note score (higher notes give you more points now)
    Rounded rectangle corners.
2 comments

Cart #tuhezedpe-0 | 2022-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

so i made celeste classic mod in pico-8 edu edition

5 comments

Cart #wittervlad09s_mod-2 | 2022-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Shmup (cherry bomb)'s mod.
Modified grafics and effects.

Controlls:
Arow Keys to move
X to shoot
Z to Power shoot

2 comments

Based on a request for help in the Pico-8 Discord, I ended up working on a rope/string/ribbon/chain/etc. simulation:

Cart #rope_sim_demo-0 | 2022-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The behavior of the rope changes substantially depending on the gravity and drag settings.

This sim tries to model the object as inelastically as possible, although it's far from perfect in that regard. The rope here has 128 segments, which is very difficult to handle without (a) instability, (b) excess springiness in the rope, or (c) tons of damping. So i ended up having to write a slightly clever constraint solver (multigrid for n log n instead of n^2 performance), and I chose a step schedule that uses almost 100% CPU at 60fps. But if you use fewer segments and tune the solver differently, going down to 16 segments or so and using a less conservative step schedule, like one suggested in the cart comments, you can get the CPU usage closer to 5% at 60fps. That might be more suitable for inclusion in a game.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

The moon hangs low from above to illuminate the night and cast shadow to the lands... It's Halloween again, and time for you to visit your neighbors.

Cart #trickgrimewolf-2 | 2022-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a version of Breakout adapted from the incredible tutorial from Lazy Devs: Pico-8 Tutorial - Breakout

Trick or Meat

Send your energy to the houses in the neighborhood to earn points and collect candy. Be sure to visit everyone to advance to the next neighborhood.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #papajlolxdhehe-0 | 2022-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

explore the void and... idk

19 comments

Cart #mansion_bros-10 | 2022-07-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mansion Bros

A fan game of a certain green fellow's exploits in trying to clean a mansion that is full of ghosts. Suck up ghosts, unlock doors, and find the trophy to conquer the mansion. Up to 8 players!

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the characters appearing in this game. This is a work of fanart, and I have no intention to profit from this work.

How to play

Arrows to move, any action button to use your vacuum. Suck up ghosts and find the trophy.
Other players can join in by pressing their action buttons. Game ends if all players run out of health. See if you can find every single diamond!

Tips

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #letris-0 | 2022-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Letris!

A Tetrislike game.

Letris is my implementation of Tetris using Pico-8.

I tried to do it based on what I remember as a child playing those cheap Chinese Brick Games that had multiple versions of Tetris clones. (Sadly, no Game Boys were easily available in my country when I was young).

I hope you guys have fun with this game as I had when I worked on it.

Controls

Z and X: Rotate the price

Down key: Drop the price fast

Left and Right keys: Left and right movement

The pause menu could be used to toggle the music and to add the up key to rotate the pieces along with Z and X buttons.

Special thanks to:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Mario Puzzle

Cart #dutepzih-0 | 2022-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a Mario reskin of 'mapuzzle' from
@egordorichev (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=67094#p).

Have fun :)

2 comments

Cart #bidefuraki-0 | 2022-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Why?

I bought pico 8 a while ago and have never really messed around with it all that much, finally I decided that I wanted to try something so I made this game :D

Programming challenges

The programming went fairly smoothly, however there were some interesting issues that I had to think of solutions for. The issue that immediately comes to mind is when trying to remove something from a object in a for loop, this seems straight forward but when you try, the for loop then tries to go to a removed value and the program gives you an error. I was able to deal with this by creating another object and storing all of the indexes of the object that had to be removed inside of it, once the first for loop had ran that added the indexes I ran another for loop that looped through the object of indexes and removed them from the original object

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I was thinking about what's keeping Pico-8 from being a popular platform for scientific computing and high-end DSP ... and I realized: I can't think of a single FFT library for Pico-8! That must be the reason. So I wrote one:

Cart #pfft-2 | 2024-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

There are some comments at the top of the cart code on usage, if you want to copy/paste this into a project of your own for some reason. It's not too slow: you can do about 400 length-256 real FFTs per second, which is enough to get up to some audio shenanigans. (See next cart.) You can use the left/right arrow keys to switch modes between DFT, complex FFT, real FFT, and DCT in this demo, but be aware that if you happen to switch to DFT mode - it is sloooooooow and you may have to hold a button down for a while to get out of it. (DCT is also slow but ~3x faster than DFT.)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #falda-0 | 2022-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

credit to @Timm for randomizer

3 comments

Cart #pico_javelin-0 | 2022-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Info about the game

This is the first game I made with PICO-8. It is inspired by Hyper Olympics, played it with my father in the late 90s on a Chinese console (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ending-Man_Terminator).

The game is very minimal, the code is quickly put together without any tought. It's purpose was just to try PICO-8 and to test posting it here.

Controls

O and X to generate power
UP to choose the throwing angle

1 comment

Cart #sussyamogus-8 | 2022-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

shitposretrt
changelog:
added 1 level. idk if its possible
edit:why isnt the level working
second changelog:
i hope this works
edit:why are there 2 carts now