BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Ok, so I want to make a celeste mod but I dont know how, I tried using the Education Edition but it didnt save my progress and files are confusing. Where should I go to learn how to make a mod. FYI I am working on a school issued chromebook because I am still a highschool student, should I instead start working on my macbook at home?

any help is appreciated
Thank you :D

6 comments

Cart #diving2022-0 | 2022-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi all,
I'm new to pico-8 and enjoying the constraints. I'm trying to create a diving game inspired by the old Daily Thompson's supertest game on the Amstrad. I have my scene with jumping working but I'm having issues rotating the sprite once you press left or right. I'm trying to use @freds72 rotation code and something is obviously rotating but I don't understand the parameters of the function. Is this correct?

--sx = x location of sprite on spritesheet
--sy = y location of sprite on spritesheet
--x = is this for the rotation area?
--y = is this for the rotation area?
a = angle of rotation
w = width of sprite (although mine is rectangular)
rspr(sx,sy,x,y,a,w)

Once I've got rotation sorted. I'm going to figure out number of turns and angle of the divers head relative to the water, so I can get the judges scoring in. I think my next big challenge will probably be getting the board to bend when hit.

Thanks for taking a look. Hopefully I can release something more playable soon.

2 comments

Hi,

I'm heavily using .p8 files as headless scripts to automate my export pipeline. It's great, as all commands are available and when running headlessly, you can even save/load which fail in normal GUI mode.

However, I noticed that errors are completely silent (unlike GUI mode, which shows error messages). How can I catch PICO-8 errors from within the .p8 script or, as last resort, from the bash script I'm using to pico8 -x the .p8 script?

The most commonly failing commands are save("game.p8.png") when the PNG is too big, and export("game.bin/html") where we're missing an icon or label. When that happens, I must re-run the commands in GUI mode and inspect every error one-by-one. Besides, the commands I manually type are generally slightly different from the script ones (which are very complete with all options) so I'm not exactly sure if I'm reproducing it right.

My suggestions:
a. access error code of last native PICO-8 command (like, save, load and export) with a simple function (e.g. err() which returns an int). We could go further by getting the error message too (e.g. errmsg())

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #netibigapa-0 | 2022-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first PICO-8 program
This is inspired by cmatrix command from Linux

Press ❎ to change color
Press 🅾️ for rainbow effect

1 comment

Cart #adrift_dnf-3 | 2022-05-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Click to expand)

This is part of a bigger project I've been working on for quite some time now. This pico8 game is a mini-game where the events depicted in it which will be accompanied by a comic book(WIP). The events present here on the game happens in the comic, some four pages of it. The project consists of several comic books, some games and a podcast. The whole thing revolves around a war, now cold, between a race known as Zeta Reticulans and a political group known as The Union for control over reality. It's also about Omnia, a company founded as a revenge plot by two genocide survivors that became the biggest conglomerate ever know.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #ndhupuni-1 | 2022-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #rubunozugu-0 | 2022-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #kigezomura-2 | 2022-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's not quite finished yet, so subscribe to the thread to know when it's updated
It's Celeste... but hard mode
Enjoy!

Editing Infinite- If you find any cheesable parts, please tell me! I want the game to be as hard as possible :D

CHANGELOG
v2.1: Attempted to fix cheesing on lvl 2

v2: added new levels! WOOOO

Hey, if you're showing this to a friend, maybe have them play the original Celeste Classic first

10 comments

Cart #springproject2022-0 | 2022-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License | Edit

3 comments

Hi everyone
I've just dived into Pico8 and I'm so enjoying it that I cannot do anything else :-)
I've that small prototype but I've encountered a weird bug with sprite editor I don't know how to fix it.
Maybe you can help?
Here's the issue:

• When I modify some pixels on the sprite editor, it also modifies the map at some specific coordinates
  • The opposite is also true: if I modify the map, the sprites are changed

It's a bit complicated to go on my level design so if you can help solving that... I would really appreciate!
    Thank you and keep up

• Pierre G.
5 comments

Cart #kamifura-0 | 2022-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The OG Song by Spurk FNF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmbwRSxoF-A
i know its supposed to be 9 key but im not doing 9k ok

9 comments

Been working on this one for a while! I consider this to be my first real finished game. Thank you to all. May this be a good omen to any future games I want to make!

Can you find all the codes, and use them?

Cart #boxy-0 | 2022-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

Cart #p8birthday-0 | 2022-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v01 04-19-22)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #p8birthday

You may need to squint your eyes a bit to remove the flicker. :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PICO-8 !

TODAY YOU ARE 7-YEARS OLD !

YOU ARE A BIG BOY NOW !

MAY YOU HAVE MANY MORE !

CONGRATULATIONS !

Looks pretty bad online. Runs best offline.

3 comments

Cart #cheflike-1 | 2022-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cheflike is a classic, turn based Roguelike game. You climb the tower to steal the legendary Golden Spatula? Can you make it? 10 floors of enemies and traps await you...Good luck!

Made for my CSC 4821 - Fundamentals of Game Design Class with Michael Weeks
Made with the help of Lazy Dev Academy's RogueLike Tutorial on Youtube

SFX and Music made by Sebastian Haßler
Enemy design by kirai.s on Twitter!

X/M/V - Inventory / Confirm

Z/N/C - Cancel

Enter -Menu

3 comments

Cart #meteormayhem-0 | 2022-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Can you escape the storm?

This is my second major project and first game for the PICO-8; an arcade shooter where you dodge and shoot meteors and try to survive long enough to escape the storm. Get enough points and you can buy upgrades for your next game.

Here is a screenshot of the stats from the end of my first complete playthrough.

Instructions

(These instructions can also be found on the title screen)

Try to survive the meteor storm as long as possible.
Every 10 seconds you survive is 10 pts
Dodge meteors for 10 pts, or blast them for 200 pts!

Use ⬅️➡️⬆️⬇️ to move
This spends your green bars
Collect

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #iris-0 | 2022-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by LD50 (but I already entered another game for that).

As time goes on and the more you get hit, you can see less around you.
Shoot things to get some of your vision back.

L/R to rotate
X to shoot

Needs a fair bit more work:

• Different enemy types and movement patterns
  • Probably a concept of waves or levels
  • Some other bonuses?
  • A more efficient way to draw the encroaching circle
0 comments

Cart #escapefromholl-1 | 2022-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Finished my new game: Escape from Höll. It's about a demon from Höll who wants to escape it. Shoot other demons and their blood will move the elevator upwards. You can shoot in five different directions and there are five types of enemies. There are twelve different bonus items to help you along the way like bullet time oder smart bombs.

Hint: If you got hit, you need to pick up your gold again or your score resets to zero! Blame Elden Ring.

UPDATE #1: Fixed a few issues with the music, i.e. I learned about reserving channels :P I will add better music in a future update.

7 comments

Cart #test7key-0 | 2022-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Very jank, still has some bugs probably
also i didn't have the energy to rechart this to 7k its just a test

5 comments

Hi!

I was wondering if there is an un-official features manual lying around somewhere. It seems like each release of pico 8 brings it's lots of new undocumented features and it's really hard to keep track when you don't use pico8 for some time...

So I was just hoping to have a manual extension lying around somewhere telling us about those and all the memory peek switches and such... Does it exists?

Thanks!

4 comments

I wrote this for LD50 in a few hours.

Cart #lockdown-0 | 2022-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #shipbattlezx-0 | 2022-04-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here it is, my first completed cart for Pico-8

ShipBattle ZX is a singleplayer Battleship clone that I recreated based on a ZX spectrum game originally written by my Dad back in the 80's. Had a lot of fun 'unpicking' the Spectrum Basic and working out how to recreate the game logic in Pico-8.

Unit Placement Controls:
Arrow Keys: Move
X: Place Unit
Z: Rotate (Where Possible)

Units cannot be placed directly adjacent to each other.

Game Controls:
Arrow Keys: Move Cursor
X: Attack
Z: Show remaining enemy units

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->