BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #picoris2dx-2 | 2022-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Picoris 2 DX

A modification of @MarkGamed7794's Picoris 2 with some audio changes (I was messing around and happened to reverb the audio and do some other weird effects, and I liked it so I kept it) and an updated title screen. I hope to later on include more modes and an entirely new UI to differentiate the original from the Deluxe modification.

8 comments

Cart #voroni_gen-2 | 2022-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Early wip voroni generator - will probably add settings to customise it while running the cartridge as right now the settings are set in stone.

Changed up title screen a little bit and changed the settings somewhat.

0 comments

Cart #bulletpoweredtower-0 | 2022-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An updated version of the game I made for the "Mini Jam 98: Empty"

0 comments

Hey @zep not to bug you too much with bugs I keep finding but in latest version when I put "ノ" in a error msg and tried to copy it to clipboard (On Mac so cmd+c) it failed and just replaced my clipboard with \0 or empty or whatever (correction: kept clipboard the same. did not over write it with a terminal or whatever it's called.),

I assume this isn't supposed to happen? wonder if it's a issue with ノ being utf8 or whatever.

Anyways thanks if you read this, sorry to bug you... for like the 3rd time with bugs

1 comment

Cart #lynxkite_interview_20220218-0 | 2022-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first PICO-8 game! I've never even used Lua before, but it was a joy. I love how it takes away a lot of time sinks typical in game making. "What palette do I use?" "How do I store the images?" etc. I even enjoyed the built-in text editor for some reason. I will certainly make more carts!

I made the music using all 4 tracks. Now I wonder if this is a mistake? When I play sound effects over it they compete for the channels and it sounds glitchy. How is this usually handled? Use fewer tracks?

7 comments

Cart #kifakegobi-8 | 2022-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Collects all the Magical Coins to save your beloved.

But be careful there are a lot of traps waiting for you.

0 comments

Cart #dqvbattle-0 | 2022-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This took me a while to complete (and technically it isn't the full song) but I wasn't able to finish it because of the pico8 SFX limit. If I knew how to compress audio then I could've made it longer, but that might be an excursion for another day. Anyways, Enjoy!

0 comments

I noticed that split() splits the table at the first character if you use a separator of more than two characters.
Is it a bug or a specification that split() cannot be used with separators of more than two characters?

foreach(split('123456','45'),print)
--56 (Expect only :6)

Thank you.

If there is no limit to the number of characters in the separator, string replacement can be implemented in a compact way. (as in replace_short())

function replace_short(s,f,r)
  return join(split(s,f),r or '')
end

-- join() is custom function

function replace(s,f,r)
 local a=''
 while #s>0 do
  local t=sub(s,1,#f)
  a=a..(t~=f and sub(s,1,1) or r or '')
  s=sub(s,t==f and 1+#f or 2)
 end
 return a
end

10 comments

Cart #nuzubemora-28 | 2022-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Full Release

--controls
X = select units and place them
C = start battle, back button (from examine, cancel summon)
arrow keys

--added dmg done to UI
--bosses now have themed decks (still need some balance tweaks)
--added save system now. use trashcan on home screen to delete save

beta phase is nearly finished. assume some bugs, let me know in comments if anything breaks or if any abilities don't seem to be working right. also card balance feedback is welcome, please note some cards are bad on purpose to act as filler

features

• auto battler deck builder
  • deck editing
  • change screen via the bike
  • save system (after battle, after editing deck)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

FLASHING LIGHTS WARNING!!

Cart #circledance-0 | 2022-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This started as a sketch for a tweetcart that slowly evolved once I realized the potential for emergent behavior. At some point I messed around making music for the visuals since I've never even touched the music side of pico-8, then both the music and visuals started to influence each other.
Each run of the program has unique visuals but you really wouldn't be able to notice.
Hope you enjoy.

1 comment

I've recently started working on my first game. It currently has no name but it's about balls so for now it'll be referred to as BallGame. Your objective is to dodge balls and survive the longest.

Cart #ballgame-1 | 2022-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Keep in mind that the game will receive updates very soon and the following features are planned:

• Power-ups
  • Actual music
  • Changing background based on score
2 comments

Welcome to Rescue Blob! You're a blob and you have to save your buddy from the evil Oola Aliens.

You need at least 15 coins to survive a death 💀.
Try to collect the 2 existing trophies 🏆.

Update: Working on a new physics engine, it's still unfinished.
(I just made it change the x by 0.22 instead of 1, but then the collision function doesn't recognise parts of blocks)

Cart #rescueblob-7 | 2022-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is the one with the old physics engine:

Cart #rescueblob-6 | 2022-02-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

1 comment

Cart #orbital_v1_0-1 | 2022-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Orbital v1.0

Story:

In the distant future, an AI-piloted ship arrives in a distant star cluster. Its mission: to search for signs of intelligent life. You are that AI.

Gameplay:

Navigate star systems and land on planets searching for clues to what happened to a long lost civilization. As you discover alien artifacts, you may gain abilities. Absorb special minerals on the planets to replenish your energy. No enemies or time limit, but watch your fuel levels and don't crash into a star or a planet surface (nose-to-ground collision).

Controls:

Saving:

This game supports saving/loading. It should work in the web version depending on your browser settings, but it definitely works if you grab the cart and run it locally. Will save automatically after the intro text is read, and after each artifact is found. You can also save through the in-game menu under "options" at any time. If you save in space, you will load exactly where you were, but if you save while on a planet, you will reload back in space where you were when you encountered the planet.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

22 comments

@zep o/

A weird bug has been messing with me recently: pico-8 keeps telling me I have "unsaved changes" when I'm pretty sure I don't. I caught the bug on camera this time:

I don't know how to reproduce it; I tried adding a new tab and messing with the text cursor position (since I wondered if this had something to do with the fix for https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=39379 ) and soon after I was able to trigger the bug. But I was able to trigger the bug without even opening up the code editor -- all I did was load cart1 load cart2 load cart1 over and over again until it said "unsaved changes". strange

Jump to 1:12 and 1:24 in the video to see me trigger the bug two separate times. (the video description has a few other timestamps too)

I'm worried I'll stop trusting that message and accidentally lose real changes!

I think this bug is new as of 0.2.4b; I don't remember it happening beforehand.

1 comment

This is Globbo!

A PICO-8 adaptation of the classic Mac game Blobbo.

The goal of the game is to pick up all toy chests before proceeding to the next room through the stairs. Tread carefully though, or you might find yourself squished by a bowling ball or punctured by an arrow.

The game contains a subset of the features found in the original. Many of the rooms in this version have been inspired by the original. My approach for these rooms has been to try to make condensed versions of the originals, trying to capture the "theme" of a room while taking liberties with its layout to accommodate the 16x16 grid.

The aim was not to make a fully featured port of the original, but rather to pluck the best parts and reshape it in a way that works well with PICO-8.

Please enjoy! ^_^

Cart #globbo-8 | 2022-08-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #wuzimibura-12 | 2022-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hedgerow is an arcade style game where you play as a little white duck wandering through haunted hedge mazes. Your goal is simple: collect all the keys and open all the gates without getting caught by a ghost. Getting caught by a ghost will cost a time penalty, but you're given a few bubble shots each round that will freeze any ghosts they hit. Hourglasses are scattered across the stage which you can pick up to increase your remaining time. There are also wormholes which will warp you to different parts of the maze. Be sure to grab any tasty fruit you see for additional points, and every so often, you can play a bonus stage to further boost your score by collecting coins!

This is still in development so there may be some bugs, especially with generating levels.

Controls:

Movement:
Keyboard style 1 (default): SFED for quick hops, cursor/arrow keys for smooth movement
Keyboard style 2: cursor/arrow keys for quick hops, SFED for smooth movement
(Deprecated) Gamepad style: Tap d-pad for quick hops, hold for smooth movement
(The control style can be changed in the menu)

Aiming:
Hold Z/W and tap directional keys (useful for shooting around corners)
Smooth movement will also use hops instead when aiming.

Shoot:
X/Q

Portals
When standing in a portal, release all buttons then press:
Z to cancel portal operation
Left cursor/arrow key to go counterclockwise in the portal loop
Right cursor/arrow key to go clockwise in the portal loop

Additional Credits:

Thank you to Grumpydev for the persistent high scores code snippet!

Important Note:

This version has been updated to use the new string indexing syntax, older versions that use the sub-nil syntax will no longer work.

Change log:

• Massive code overhaul including rewriting the controls again (now utilizes the adjustable autofire delay to allow use of the default APIs)
  • Removed Gamepad control scheme
  • Interacting with portals now allows some control over destination (or whether you even want to use the portal at all)
  • Stage exit is now always visible, but still only accessible when all keys have been collected and doors opened
  • "Par time" for each level has been adjusted to account for changes in movement
  • Number of coins now scales better with the size of the bonus stage
  • Time allowed in bonus stage adjust to account for changes in movement and number of coins
  • Number of enemies has been adjusted so that larger levels are more populated
  • Number of shots has been fixed to twice the number of enemies
  • Various fruits have been added as an additional source of points in each regular level
  • Added indicators when a park/room contains keys/doors/hourglasses/enemies/fruit
  • Removed game over screen

Older Versions:

Version 0.4

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #fowusegora-0 | 2022-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

I'm new to pico-8 and when trying to check if a boolean is false with

if is_point_in_rect(coin.x,coin.y,left,top,right,bottom) and not coin.is_collected() then

it returns an error
(I tried removing the "and not coin.is_collected" to see if the error was with the is_point_in_rect() function, and it didn't bring up an error)

Cart #hagomiyewa-0 | 2022-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #thing63-0 | 2022-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi!
Made a little something
Enjoy :)

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->