BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This is the game that I made for the Trijam #156: The 3 hour game jam on Itch.io. If you want to play it, click on this widget.
<iframe frameborder="0" src="https://itch.io/embed/1396252?bg_color=222222&fg_color=eeeeee&link_color=5bfaf8&border_color=363636"; width="552" height="167"><a href="https://hole0.itch.io/short-tea">Short Tea by Hole0</a></iframe>
If the widget didn't load for you, the game will be right below this text (after I get this bug fixed.)

1 comment

Probably a silly question, but I can't seem to work it out.

I have a slow function - it takes more than 1/30 of second to execute but needs to be done in the _draw() function. This makes my code slow and unresponsive and it's clearly not the way to do it.

So what I want to do is the following:

• run my slow function once in the _init() (drawing a bunch of stuff to the screen)
  • capture the screen to extended memory
  • in my _draw() function do repeated copies back to the screen

This works ... BUT ... when I run my slow function it shows on the screen (briefly, during _init() ). Probably because it overruns the 1/30 second _draw update time. I would rather suspend draw updates during _init().

So is there a way to suspend screen refreshing for a bit and then switch it back on?

13 comments

Hi, I decided to release my first PICO-8 game, before I tinker around with it forever :)
It's an orthographic view puzzle game, where your goal is to bring all the penguins to the finish line.
You start with one penguin, and the go and "recruit" or "activate" the rest of the penguins on the same level.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Cheers

/Chris

Cart #penguinrescue-4 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Edit: tinkering around to have music play by default (the setting is persisted in the cart).
Edit2: I believe the perspective is called orthographic, not isometric.

5 comments

Cart #sk_remake-0 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

remake of

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=39503

I couldn't get @9joao6 to respond to my requests for help so I made a remake myself!

new features:
all main levels from nuclear throne
crappy placeholder graphics
broken new enemies
a final boss that does nothing
ultra mutations
new characters
new weapons and weapon types
many many bugs
I think that is everything

21 comments

Simple 2D vector class and bouncing ball demo

Cart #vec_ball-0 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

PICO-8 port of donut.c

by mosm
Cart #donut-0 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

I came across this issue with loading my carts as .p8 files and I fixed by saving my carts as a .png file. And now I'm having trouble loading .png files too. Before that happened, when I was gonna change my settings using the config.txt, when I opened it up, the text file was empty. If you know how to fix one (or all) of these problems, let me know. Here is the two files that didn't load in to my Pico-8. BTW, I was following a tutorial on how to make a roguelike. Sorry if you run into some problems.

6 comments

Cart #picotre-0 | 2022-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

picoTre

picoTre is a 3d rendering library meant to give the user the same degree of freedom that pico8 provides, but in 3d. I also made a conversion script in python that let's you turn a blender file into an object within picoTre, here is the download. Here is the tutorial on how to use it. Objects have functions and variables that can be controled by the player so here is a tutorial that explains all of them. The triangle rasterization algorithm is by electricgryphon. This is a school project btw.

4 comments

Hello! I've recently been trying to learn as much as I can about audio manipulation in PICO-8 lately, and recently found out about the \a control code.

You denote it with \a and can optionally follow it up with i and 0-7 to choose which instrument will be used:

print("\ai5ceg") --plays a c major triad using instrument 5

What I'm wanting to do is play a custom SFX instrument using this control code, but from what I've tried so far, it doesn't seem to be possible.

The first thing I tried was putting unique patterns in the first 8 SFX slots and testing with i 8-f (8-15) in the control code to see if any of them play, but it just seems to loop back to the standard waveforms 0-7.
The second thing I tried was toggling SFX Instruments: ON in SFX slot 8 and then specifically have the control code play from SFX slot 8

print("\a8i5ceg") -- c major triad in SFX slot 8

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=106685#p)
0 comments

Cart #torchlit_view-3 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in immediate mode, type load #torchlit_view

As shadows and circular shadows are still rather popular at the moment, back in the day when I was coding in GFA I was working on a massive project called Scenario 2 RPGMaker. If you're curious, Scenario 1 was written in QBasic 1.0 while S2 was in GFA. I wanted to have all the interesting elements that you could find in RPG 95 at the time. One of which was a torchlit view.

The early Torchlit view I had in S1 was quite primitive based on early Ultima 3 where the screen was 9x9 tiles and all it did was draw a rough circle in 5x5 tiles to the center keeping the others black.

So with S2 and the knowledge I was not limited to tile movement alone, I gave it some more thought fully knowing drawing circles are super-slow, but rectangles were not. So the idea was to fill the screen with a solid color, then draw a filled rectangle to match the edges of the solid base for the circle I would create inside.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #forgoot-0 | 2022-02-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

13 comments

A demo for a game similar to Famicom detective club and Ace Attorney. I hope is useful for you, the reader.

Cart #goziwotiju-0 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #goziwotiju-0 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Having got working versions of the player movement and music in place, I asked my boy what he thought was the next most important thing to do, and offered some options:

1) map scrolling or screen switching
2) collision detection
3) time countdown

I think he was in favour of the screen switching, which was my initial instinct to be honest.

But as I thought about it, I realised that although a Pico 8 game is small, it's still a major undertaking for me. As soon as you go beyond one screen the possibility space of the game increases by at least an order of magnitude.

A better idea, surely, is to aim at the smallest/simplest thing that might possibly work and so this is my new idea:

• keep the action all on a single screen
  • build a little maze with home at one end and school at the other
  • have a countdown

This strikes me as a very obviously the best way forward. Scaling everything down makes so much sense:

• reduces the risk of not finishing
  • allows end-to-end testing of race-against-time mechanic

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hey all! New poster here! I wanted to see how far I could compress giant word lists onto a tiny PICO-8 cart, and that experiment turned into a small wordle-alike!

Rules:

• Survive six rounds WITHOUT guessing the cat's word!
  • Each time you get a clue, you must use it, so be careful!
  • Each guessed letter costs a life, so be sneaky about which words you try!

This game uses the keyboard and attempts to disable the pause menu so you can use the "P" key, so be aware of that when playing in SPLORE. If anyone has suggestions on how to be better-behaved on your console, do let me know!

Cart #five_lives-2 | 2022-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

15 comments

Cart #zebotufaje-0 | 2022-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a small project I created a while ago that I never got around to finishing. Feel free to experiment or mod the game, though the code isn't great.

2 comments

Cart #procrastinator_3k-0 | 2022-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Procraftination Simulator 3000

Ever want to surf the web AND use PICO-8?

Not wasting enough of your time?

Welcome to Procrastination Simulator 3000!

This WIP is my attempt to learn how to use LUA and PICO-8 in a more or less unconventional manner.

Controles

-Up scrolls up.
-Down scrolls down.

-more to come later.

Currently I am trying to:

-Get everything to display correctly
-Get text to generate in appropriate places

Next up:

-Refine the art
-Make the pages
-SFX
-BGM
-Art that allows for the drinking of soda and laughing (+SFX)
-Ideas for the initial 8 web pages

After that:

-Add in some more humor and counters
-Maybe more web pages

Feel free to fix/edit/steal anything here. Seeing how others with more exp do the same thing will be useful for me to see.

0 comments

POF

Speedrunning dueling game

Cart #pof-2 | 2023-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help POF shoot all nightmares away! Can you do it fast?

Rules

This is a casual speed duel game. Help POF kill all the monster nightmares as fast as possible and without losing all your lives. Every nightmare has its own behavior, so find the best strategy to defeat each one of them quickly. As you advance, you can buy new weapons and upgrade your stats, choose wisely to improve your times.

This is my first Pico 8 game, let me know what you think,
and don't forget to screenshot and share your best times in the comments!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #denatus_slasher-2 | 2022-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Slasher!

Use your skill to slice and dice objects but avoid the bad ones. (It's a fruit ninja clone.) Fun little project to learn about mouse input in Pico-8.

Controls

Only works with mouse input.

Versions

1.0:

• Initial version.

1.01:

• Bug fix: Game didn't start if no item set was selected.
3 comments

I have been trying to code in a snapping mechanic in a rhythm maze game that I'm working on, but I can't get it to work. The player always ends up at one of the corners of the map or doesn't snap onto the map tiles. I've been using

flr()

but it's not working in ANY way. I want the player to snap onto a map tile when they're not moving, can someone please help me with this?

5 comments

Cart #yum-1 | 2022-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Learning more! For this one my goal was to have a start and game over screen.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->