BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Add an instant replay to your game!

(Shown here: OMEGA ZONE by @kometbomb)

New from the mind that brought you Instant 3D! and still hasn't apologized, Instant Replays!

Paste this snippet into the end of your game and be amazed at your new replay capabilities!!! Or it could fail completely! That's the mystery of it!!!

do
 local prev={
  _update=_update,
  _update60=_update60,
  _draw=_draw,
  btn=btn,
  btnp=btnp
 }

local bstate,pstate,addr,isplay={},{},0x8000,false

local function updatebtns()
  for i=0,5 do
   pstate[i]=bstate[i]
  end   
  if isplay then
   local mask=peek(addr) addr+=1
   if(mask==0xff)run()
   for i=0,5 do
    bstate[i]=mask&(1<<i)~=0
   end
  else
   local mask=0
   for i=0,5 do
    bstate[i]=prev.btn(i)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=106415#p)
7 comments

I've written some functions based on Dylan Bennet's tutorial "PICO-8 Top-Down Adventure Game Tutorial - Bonus Step - Text". I tried to adapt it to taking gold out of chests (I know the next video in the series partly covers that, but that solution assumes every chest in the game gives the same amount). Ideally they should output a certain number based on an x,y coordinate, which other functions could use.
'''
function set_chests()
chests={}
add_chest(7,3,9)
end

function add_chest(x,y,num)
chests[x+y*128]=num
end

function get_chest(x,y)
return chests[x+y*128]
end
'''

get_chest should return 9 when the coordinates (7,3) are put in, which could then be added to another variable. Instead touching the chest at (7,3) does this:
RUNTIME ERROR LINE 13 TAB 6
return values[x+y*128]
attempt to index global 'values' (a nil value)

I'm not in any rush to fix this, but the fact I have no idea why it's happening bothers me. Advice would be very appreciated.

4 comments

Cart #blakers_mothernature1_0-0 | 2022-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game about Mother Nature defending her last tree from an army of sweaty lumberjacks who simply want some wood.

This game was made for 'My First Game Jam: Winter 2022', and is my second game that I've created for the Pico-8 console.

I cut (hehe) quite a few planned features to finish the game by the end of the game-jam, I might add these features in the future.

Please comment your high scores and any feedback you may have if possible. Much appreciated, enjoy.

Controls:

Z: Shoot
Arrow keys: Move

3 comments

Cart #pillars3hourgamejam-0 | 2022-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pillars

Made for Trijam

by Scruffysnake

I don't really know how to format this but anyway this is something I made

0 comments

I'm trying to make a rhthm-based game, and although the timing looks OK both on pico-8 and in my computer after exported in HTML, when running it through my cellphone everything has ~300ms delay, which ruins the experience.

I've done a very simple cartridge to test the timing - Try to press X to follow the rhythm. Again, on my desktop computer it's fine, but when running it on a cellphone the timing is definetly off.

I've debugged a bit, trying to see if it's some lag added by the browser on cellphones to detect gestures, but the same function that sets the button as on is triggered as soon as it's pressed down. It looks like the delay happens in between the buttons JS variable and pico-8 runtime.

Is there an alternative way of getting input with close to no lag or it's just the browser export? Any way to fix it?

Cart #wozowopema-0 | 2022-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bowsersfarm-5 | 2022-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bowser's Farm

This a reskin of "FARM PANIC" originally created by @NYLON_1919, with new graphics from the mario-universe. Have fun!

4 comments

According to documentation
PRINT returns the right-most x position that occurred while printing

One can make a valid case that certain print control codes may result in unusual return values, but this one doesn't feel right to me.

x = print('\^iabcde')
print(x)
y = print('\^d2abcde')
print(y)

results in

The speed of the print output shouldn't affect our ability to receive the final x position, IMHO.

0 comments

Saw some unexpected behavior today with pset(x,y,c) when c negative and fractional.

cls(6)
	for i=0,127 do
		for j=0,127 do
			pset(i,j,(i-16)/32)
		end
	end

If I add a floor command, then the funny stippling goes away. e.g. pset(i,j,flr((i-16)/32))

Cart #seyotabebu-0 | 2022-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #celestegold-0 | 2022-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Celeste, but I added the golden berry from the steam release of Celeste.
Credits to Maddy Thorson and Noel Berry for the original game, and to pancelor and Meep for some code I "adapted" (stole basically).
I decided to make this because of La Sal (by pancelor) which had a golden berry. But I also had the idea to make a golden berry mod before I played La Sal.

13 comments

I am finding another problem.

Try out this program:

cls()
poke(0x8000,5)
?peek(0x8000)
memset(0x8000,0,0x8000)
?peek(0x8000)

You get back 5 each time, which is incorrect as we just cleared memory.

Apparently 0x8000 is being misread as zero when used as a hexadecimal argument for a command.

5 comments

As I'm discovering you can use variable names such as 🅾️ and ❎ I ran into this little snag when debugging in immediate mode. Try out this code:

function _init()
end
function _update()
  ⬅️=btn(0)
  ➡️=btn(1)
  ⬆️=btn(2)
  ⬇️=btn(3)
  🅾️=btn(4)
  ❎=btn(5)
  cls()
  ?⬅️
  ?➡️
  ?⬆️
  ?⬇️
  ?🅾️
  ?❎
end

Now while running hold the DOWN ARROW key and press the ESC key.

Now type: print ⬇️ ENTER

Result is TRUE, which is correct.

Now type: print ⬆️ ENTER

Result is 2 which is INCORRECT. It just stated above it was FALSE.

I realize that these variables are initialized when you run your program to make it convenient for btn(⬆️) to see if it's TRUE or FALSE, however as they are not system variables and are free for the taking, this reinstating integer values into them without your say so should not be taking place unless you rerun your code again.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #mupekuyehi-1 | 2022-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

About this game

This is a demake of DARIUS, TAITO. Boss rush mode is implemented and 11 bosses, all of the DARIUS bosses appear and you fight them continuously.
I made this game to feel "Wow, looks like 3 screen DARIUS when seen from a distance!".
I didn't make this as a perfect clone. There are many differences from the original game.

How to play

Start the game and enter select panel.

• Select mode: EASY or HARD.
  • Select zone to start: A-Z.

When you select EASY, player doesn't get damaged. In this mode, you can enjoy a tour of all bosses of DARIUS and "EASY" is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #jutijapepa-0 | 2022-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

another joke bird and beans mod. original by wow_its_jolyne, little among us sprite edited from their pyoro by me i didnt do anything else

4 comments

@zep: I Came across this. While it is known you can change the keyboard repeat speed of BTNP() making use of poking 0x5F5C and 0x5F5D it unfortunately carries over to SPLORE as you can see here:

Further, SPLORE does not seem to give you the same menus for each Favorited game. As you can see here comparing BIBI AND BEANS, RED-SHIRT-ALERT, and LOCKEY-ZANA'S TALE, where RED-SHIRT-ALERT is missing menu items when you press "P" and the other two carts are not:

I would also like to suggest that when you do press "P" for additional menus and information, that is shows the last date this particular cartridge was updated.

4 comments

Cart #fofuyepaji-0 | 2022-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

About this game

This is a remake of SEICROSS, Nichibutsu. It is NES version of SECTOR ZONE.
Run to reach the rightmost goal of the road before fuel empty.
Bottom of the screen shows score, progress meter, and fuel meter.
When you clash objects, the fuel meter decreases. When you get red blinking items or heart marks, the fuel meter recovers.
You can shoot bullets and hit enemies.
When you reach the goal, got heart marks become bonus score.

Controls

• D-Pad/Arrows: move player
  • O/Z: shoot bullets

About the character

The playable character is Shimarin, a main character of Japanese comic and animation: YURU-CAMP.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #picokarts-0 | 2022-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico Karts is a pseudo-3D racing game, modelled after the style of Outrun or Hang-On! This started from an experiment to produce a pseudo-3D scrolling road, and was gradually built up from that concept to a complete game. While I'm sure there are plenty of things I could add or improve, I'm happy to ship this little project and move on to the next thing :)

Controls:

Left/Right Arrow Keys: Steering
Down Arrow Key: Brake
Z: Accelerate
X: Boost (when boost meter is full)

The boost meter fills up as you drive, and is reset any time you hit an object or drive off the road.

If you'd prefer to switch the colour alignment between the road and the sides of the road, press X at the title screen (this may reduce eye strain for some people).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Shader!!!

Cart #line_shoot_v0-6 | 2022-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

8 comments

Cart #shadow_178_chars-0 | 2022-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART in immediate mode, type: load #shadow_178_chars

Cart #shadow_178_chars_light-0 | 2022-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART in immediate mode, type: load #shadow_178_chars_light

Be aware the shadows and ships position can be anywhere. I just moved them in a loop in and out to demonstrate they are not at a fixed position according to their original sprite.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #muzumirara-0 | 2022-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hi,

I am enjoying my Pico-8 quite much. Did some stuff I never was brave enought in the homecomputer times.

However: Just for "reference" I like to play some games. But splore always says "Could not Connect to BBS" since some time. I tried on Linux, Raspian and Windows. All the same. Pico 0.2.4(b).

Best,
Carsten

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->