BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #drop_coin-0 | 2022-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Drop Coin is an endless game inspired by coin drop games such as Plinko and Nintendo Land's "Coin Game".

Try to see how many stages you can complete with your starting coin count, and earn bonus coins by completing a stage in 10 coins or less. Each difficulty has it's own starting coin count.

CONTROLS
Click, Tap, Z, or X - Drop Coin

4 comments

Cart #blakers_flappy_pico-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A 'flappy bird', or 'helicopter game' clone created in the Pico-8 fantasy game console during an evening learning how to develop Pico-8 games.

Controls (PC):

Z: Menu accept

X: Menu back or Restart (on death)

Up Arrow: Jump (in game) OR menu navigation up

Down Arrow: Menu navigation down

I got much of the base code from this zine https://mboffin.itch.io/gamedev-with-pico-8-issue1 created by @MBoffin, and I built various extra features on his code! So big credits to him for creating a great zine to get me started creating my first game in pico-8.

Additional features I added to his code:

• Main menu system

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #moreaccrun-1 | 2022-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE 1: Changed arrow colors

20 comments

Cart #gizfapho-0 | 2022-01-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Star Scavenger POC

Navigate to module of discovered starship wreck

Collect parts

Fight with hazards

Craft items e.g. 2xSmall Energy Cell + 1x Small Ore Deposit = 1x Medium Energy Cell

There are droids to be crafted!

X - confirm action
Z - cancel action , remove item

0 comments

Cart #skyline-7 | 2022-01-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all,

this is my very first game. It is a one dimensional city building game. Any kind of feedback is welcomed.

Hope you enjoy it!

CONTROL

Button UP / DOWN: choose action
Button RIGHT / LEFT: move around
Button O (mobile) / Z or C (desktop): execute action at current position

GROW OF BUILDINGS (level 1 - 6)

• for level 2: fire station and enough energy from wind mills (anywhere)
  • for level 3: school and recycling point
  • for level 4: subway station and train station (anywhere)
  • for level 5: 2x parks / lake / mountains (w/o wind mills) and stadium (anywhere)
  • for level 6: attraction (anywhere)

• infrastructure which is not marked with "anywhere", needs to be in the range of 5 blocks
  • in case the required infrastructure is available, the mood is good (green bar below the building) and the building can grow
  • in case the required infrastructure is not available (e.g. missing energy), the mood is bad (red bar below the building) and no taxes are being paid

EARN MEDALS (level 7)

• to earn medals for leisure, your city needs parks and attractions
  • to earn medals for infrastructure, your city needs more fire stations, schools and subway stations
  • to earn medals for size, your city needs more and higher buildings
12 comments

Update 03/08

Fix: Another bugfix, hopefully for the last. Dambi wasn't showing running and sliding animation and just sliding in the idle animation since 02/27 update, this is now fixed.

Update 02/27

Fix: The player states (e.g. standing, jumping, etc.) have been rewritten to become mutually exclusive, and this helped me get the ladder to work better. e.g. unlike before, Dambi will no longer automatically latch onto ladder when she comes in contact with it while airborne, and she will simply jump past it -- unless the player presses up/down while she's airborne and is in front of the ladder.

Tweak: Dambi has a bit more acceleration now and she jumps a bit further so jumping between two-tile gap does not need to be as precise as before. Also, she'll have a decent chance jumping over two spikes at once, if the timing is precise.

Added: More graphics in the background. Looks a bit less bland.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #ufo_ps_lichin-10 | 2022-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

Cart #lasal-1 | 2022-01-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A short celeste map mod. It's built as a bit of a puzzle, meant to teach you one specific thing about the game's mechanics.

This doesn't require any advanced speedrunning tech (spike clips, corner jumps, etc) -- executing the intended solutions should be possible for anyone who's beaten celeste classic once or twice.

If you're trying something that seems too hard or only barely possible, try looking for alternatives!

controls

• arrow keys / Z / X: move / jump / dash
  • E: toggle screenshake

credits

celeste classic: maddy thorson + noel berry

smalleste: a token-optimized version of classic celeste that I used as a starting point

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

demo cart

This demo shows off the interface. To use bigmap in your game, see "setup" below.

Cart #bigmap_demo-1 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

motivation

The recent 0.2.4 release added support for larger maps:

> Similar to gfx memory mapping, the map can now be placed at address 0x8000 and above (in increments of 0x100). This gives 4 times as much runtime space as the default map, and an additional POKE is provided to allow customisable map sizes.

Larger maps are now possible, but it's difficult to get them into memory -- the built-in map editor only works with vanilla-sized maps.

This cart is a full map editor that makes it easy to make these larger maps!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Hello :)

(Forever) Beginner level programmer here!

I have been trying to make a top down driving game, and rather than reinvent the wheel I figured I could take some existing carts and use the code to make a player that uses a sprite that can rotate, and move forward and backward.

I found this post for the sprite rotation, which works exactly as I would like, although I can't really grasp how the function is working: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=52525 (example1)

Then I found a cart of Asteroids by @mccolgst: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29903, stripped out all the stuff I didn't need (example2), and have been going between these 2 carts to try and combine the sprite rotation function with the desired movement.

Unfortunately I hit a wall and my latest effort was example3, but I'm quite lost honestly.

Can anyone shed some light on how these carts work and how I could go about applying a forward movement to a rotated sprite?

Many thanks in advance!

Cart #example1-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Good morning <INTERN NAME>.
You've made a terrible mistake.
There's no turning back now.

Cart #ideocart_cntmt_brch-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

creator: Andrew E. Brereton
date: 2022-01-16
twitter: @aebrer
medium: Pico-8, Lua
license: CC Attribution 4.0 International https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode

0 comments

Cart #fotrbypbsscang-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First PICO-8 game, made a while ago but never shared.
Messy little retro space game, featuring:
Functional gameplay
Thrilling boost mechanic
Various different enemies
3 Intricate Levels + 2 Boss stages
Gripping and entirely necessary story
Music

1 comment

Cart #gemdobozu-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Old demo cart I put together that lets one create sprites and explode them into bouncing particles.

• [Z] to create targets
  • [X] to pop them
0 comments

Cart #tension-1 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Making a game similar to Tractor Beam on the Amiga. Intending to add some puzzles next. Took a while to get the physics working and it's probably still quite janky :)

Press X to use the beam!

2 comments

Cart #celestetiles-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Use X, C, or the arrow keys to view different screens showcasing the tileset.

I made a slightly improved version of the Celeste tileset. Now there are inner corner thingies and other random stuff. Of course this would be pretty hard to use in a Celeste mod because of the extra sprite space it takes up but I mainly made it as a concept to see what the Celeste tileset could look like with more features.

This isn't meant to be used in mods, it's just a random concept thing. If you use saved mapdata or whatever, and have extra sprite space, then I suppose it would be usable.

All credit goes to Maddy Thorson and Noel Berry for the orignal tileset.

0 comments

Cart #membrane_master-1 | 2022-01-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #wuduhenami-0 | 2022-01-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've seen many demos and cool art made with pico8 on Twitter, so I tried to do something. This is my first tweetcart. There's probably many ways to optimize it more, but at least it works.

Press left and right arrows to widen or narrow the road, and up or down arrows to move the horizon.

Some values can also be changed in line 3:

• b: default horizon position
  • s: offset between the sun center and the horizon
  • p: default road position
  • n: amount of horizontal lines
  • i+=2: speed of horizontal lines
l=line
r=rectfill
b=64s=5e=128h=64p=45n=6i=0poke(24364,5)::_::i+=2i%=e
r(0,0,h,b,2)r(0,0,h,.6*b,9)r(0,b/3,h,b*.6,8)circfill(h,b-s,20,10)r(0,b,e,e,1)l(0,e,p,b,2)for j=1,n do

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=105240#p)
1 comment

Cart #playback_a-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in immediate mode, type load #playback_a

VVhat's new ?
(01-17-22)
✅ New BTN() can now be called with no arguments, returns numeric of all buttons, thanks to @SmellyFishstiks.
✅ Beefed up the documentation and usage instructions.

This program will let you record and playback keystrokes, including saving your code with those compressed keystrokes in very small code indeed.

First off, the record and playback routine is 436-characters total, so this entire method is pretty small at that. Add about 46-characters for each of the functions record() and play() and you're home free !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

45 comments

Could you make a fighting game in PICO-8?
I don't care about the type of fighting game, I'm just saying, could you do it?

2 comments

Hello ! I would like to know if a tas of a PICO-8 game would be doable or not. I had a lot of fun playing some games and I wondered if getting the full version would allow me to do such things. Thank you !

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->