BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #picocity-1 | 2022-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to Pico City

Congratulations! The year is 2000, and you have just been elected as mayor of Pico City. Unfortunately, Pico City is currently just some empty land that someone decided to call a city, but with your help, it can become a thriving metropolis! You are tasked to:

• Build Residential, Commercial, and Industrial Zones for citizens to live and work.
  • Connect these zones with roads and power them by windmills
  • Make sure the city is free from crimes and fires by building police and fire departments.

If you can do that, Pico City will be successful!

UPDATE 1.0.1

• Fires should be less common and less dangerous
  • Fires can no longer be put out with bulldozer

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #charedit-2 | 2022-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I can't really think of a use for one-off characters right now, but Lazy Devs floated the idea of making a little editor for them in his recent video and that seemed like a fun short project, and I'd never done anything with GUI elements before.

• Meant to be used offline.
    Not all features will work off the BBS but you can use the basic functionality.
  • Multiple persistent slots for editing.
    Really it's just a page of the spritesheet you're editing.
  • Per character Undo/Redo
    This is limited to 32 levels of undo per character but there's no particular reason it should be. Basically like the Pico-8 sprite editor (plus Rotation) though I didn't feel any need to implement the more complex drawing things for the 8x8 monochrome format.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #happynewyear2022-0 | 2022-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #sliddy-1 | 2022-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I was experimenting with fill patterns and then went back to the sprite editor to notice something quite out of place. It was drawing pixels according to the fill pattern and would let me fill in the tile completely !

Try pasting this in immediate mode:

fillp(0b0011010101101000)
circfill(64,64,20, 0x4e)

Then go to the sprite editor and try drawing pixels.

This is not at all desirable behavior for the sprite editor, @zep, and it should disregard any patterns you were working with.

6 comments

Cart #kefokuhino-0 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try #2 trying out some new tools. I saw some posts about better ways to create outlines, so I should probably check those out instead of my current technique. Either way, I'm happy with how this came out for now.

0 comments

Cart #spirit_solstice-9 | 2022-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You can also play it on itch.io here!

CONTROLS
Arrows: Move
X: Toggle Lantern
Z/X: Advance Text

You can also skip dialogue from the pause menu.

ABOUT
It's the Winter Solstice and you've been tasked with inviting the local nature spirits to join the celebration. Use your lantern to navigate three different areas of the forest in this mini seasonal adventure!

This was made over November and December 2021 for the 2021 PICO-8 Advent Calendar. This ended up being my first time really exploring the extended PICO-8 color palette.

This version of the game is expanded from the original one released through the Advent Calendar on December 21, 2021 with a whole third area and some extra bits of polish.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #oneoffgrid-1 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in immediate mode type, load #oneoffgrid
VVhat's new ?
(12-31-21)
✅ changed the edit sprites so they are more visible.
✅ shaved off 5-extra chars through some code rewrite.

Cart #oneoffgrid-0 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OLD BOX-GRID VERSION
[b]TO LOAD THIS CART

[color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #hametawisu-7 | 2022-01-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first pico-8 game, feedback welcome.

Things I want to add/improve (that I don't necessarily know how to do):

• m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶u̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶(̶i̶'̶m̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶!̶)̶

• enemies that move left to right and up and down (half working)

• knock back when taking damage on spikes or lava when stepped on (currently just contact and take damage)

• print the value of an object next to it when buying from the merchant

• ability to swing a sword and attack

• change player direction when moving and moving animations

• m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶(̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶

• a̶d̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶(̶s̶t̶r̶u̶g̶g̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶X̶,̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶s̶)̶

• a̶d̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶i̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶p̶l̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶(̶n̶o̶ ̶c̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶!̶)̶

• equipment that changes stats

• pause screen that displays equipment information

• mini tarot game at start that lets you pick a card to give items and stats/

Any help or advice on improving this would be much appreciated

thank you to the community for giving me lots of help learning the basics of lua and helping me realise a new hobby :)

much thanks to @remcode for help coding and fixing the number puzzle!

̶P̶.̶s̶.̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶a̶g̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶

previous versions:

Cart #hametawisu-4 | 2022-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #hametawisu-3 | 2022-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #hametawisu-1 | 2022-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #hametawisu-0 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #frogbite-0 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Is there a way to detect when time() changes? I’m trying to make a movement system where when a button is pressed a sprite moves for a certain amount of time.

3 comments

hi there,

i am searching for a possibility to read out actual music in soundchannel/'soundchip'. and than i want to play this endless.

is there someone who has an idea, how i could release this?

thanks for any help

la1n

0 comments

Cart #pathfinding-1 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A very simple A* pathfinding prototype

1 comment

Hi there,

I'm new to pico-8 and was playing around with a system to generate levels for a top-down adventure game on the fly. My setup is as follows:

• in the map editor, I have screen-sized (16x16 tiles) compatible level blocks
  • when I call my generate_map() function, it makes a table with a predefined number of entries, each containing the coordinates to row/columns in the map
  • in my draw function, I then loop through this table and draw the map
--generate the map
function map_setup(map_size)
	total_area=map_size
	level={}
	for area=1,total_area do
		level[area]={flr(rnd(7))*16, flr(rnd(3))*16}
	end
end

--draw the map
function draw_map()
	t=1
	for i=0,sqrt(total_area)-1 do
		for j=0,sqrt(total_area)-1 do
			map(level[t][1],level[t][2],i*128,j*128,16,16)	
		 t+=1
		end
	end
end

This works for drawing the map nicely, however I am having a lot of trouble getting the collision detection with the map tiles to work. After digging around for hours, it appears my problem is that when I check player.y and player.x and feed these into mget (after dividing by 8 to convert to row/column coordinate), that mget returns whatever is at that coordinate in the map editor, not in my actually drawn map.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #pubezigoju-5 | 2022-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a quick test to see how things work! I don't know what this game is called; I'm sure I've seen it on some old flash game sites.

My collision detection is terrible and the controls aren't great, but it's served its purpose. I'll have to try something different next!

3 comments

I have come across a bug with the rendering one-off characters using a binary encoded string. If they binary encoded string ends in a nul \0 the character will not render.

For example:
"\^.⁸\0\0\0\0\0\0\0" doesn't work, the character will not render
"\^.\0\0\0\0\0\0\0⁸" does work and the character renders as expected; as does other combination tried as long as the last value isn't \0

None of this appears to be an issue if values are not string encoded first. Using a variable to store a binary value and using it to render a one-off character works in a cart regardless if there is a \0 at the end.

Doing this on the Pico-8 command line:

didn't work

print("\^."..chr(255)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0))

worked

print("\^."..chr(255)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(0)..chr(1))

This isn't an issue when using hex values e.g.:("\^:FF00000000000000" always appear to work as expected)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Paint a Char

A utility for creating one-off characters for use in other carts.
Immediate load this cart by load #paintachar

Cart #paintachar-5 | 2022-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Creating and exporting

Paint your desired character and send to the clipboard using "c" button.
Select the type of output desired being Hexadecimal string or Binary String.
Press "x" to clear and start new.

Importing

Import hex codes to verify how they look, or edit them further.
To import a hex code:

1. Set Paint a Char to receive hex from clipboard
  2. Copy the 16 digit hex code you want to import
  3. Paste (e.g. ctrl-v) the value in to the app

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hey all, working on an endless runner and running (lol) into a couple issues.

Here's the cart:

Cart #kebahugosi-0 | 2021-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Basically I can't seem to get the 'enemy sprites' to actually kill the player. I've given them their own tables of values, flags etc but I don't know how exactly to check their flags for proper collision. Alternatively, I would maybe like to generate the enemies using the map_gen() function so the placement is relatively random, and that works to kill the player, but then I can't make them move.

This goes hand in hand with making the runner go on indefinitely until player death - currently it only generates 8 screens and then repeats. Another forum member mentioned I should pick a midpoint then 'copy' the second half of of the map back at start, move the player instantly, and then generate the second half again - but I have no clue how to go about that.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hello guys,

This is my first game developed in Pico-8. Hope you like it :)

Cart #f1y_catch78-0 | 2021-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #hapadunuba-0 | 2021-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #navader-1 | 2021-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 211231

1.1 update

• New: Timer added to track how long it took for a player to beat the game. The game saves the best records for each mode on the cart.
  • Fix: Enemies now fire only when there's no living enemy below them in Mode A. The bullet intentionally spawns 8 pixels below the enemy.
  • Fix: Player bullet spawns right above the player in Mode B.
  • Fix: Ending text modified following feedback on Discord.
  • Partial fix: Slightly better enemy laser spawn position in Mode B.

Known issue: The enemy lasers in Mode B spawn where they should at first, but as game progresses and there are less enemies on the screen, the laser seems to spawn lower than they should. The intention is they spawn 4 pixels below the enemy, otherwise they sometimes move down and spawn laser at the same time, destroying themselves.

And with the fix in Mode A, I can now recreate Nagoya attack. In Space Invaders, there's a bug (or a feature?) where enemy bullets spawn one row below than their position, so when they're at the bottom row the bullet will spawn below the player, rendering the player invincible. There's a lot of risk playing it this way, both in the original and in this version, but it's something I wanted to include in this version as I heard this was how the 'cool kids' played the game back in the days.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->