BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #vpa77eqw-1 | 2021-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #firroref-0 | 2021-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's some code:

poke(0x5f5e,0x11) --only enable bitplane 1
sset(0,0,15) --edit sprite 0

I would expect the sset() call to set the spritesheet's corner to color 1 (dark blue) because of the bitplane setting. However, this instead sets the corner to 15 (tan).

I can workaround this for now by using pset and then memcopying the screen to the spritesheet, but that means my decompression code (which wants to call sset with bitplanes active) will need to either take less than a frame to run, or show artifacts onscreen while it runs.

1 comment

ax
by kana
Cart #ax-0 | 2021-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is a remix of the adventure game tutorial by @MBoffin.

About my game:
Collect axes and reach the goal.
To reach the goal, you must break the door. To break the door, you must get more than one axes.

Thank you for playing.

0 comments

Cart #chip_rush-3 | 2021-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Collect all the chips! Move through series of mazes with the arrow keys and try to get to the finish as soon as possible. In Chip Rush, you have a 10 second time limit, and collecting one chip will give you a bit of extra time. But be careful, colliding with a wall will make you lose one second, and if you run out of time it's game over!

Screen fade effect from http://kometbomb.net/pico8/fadegen.html

5 comments

I want to download games and run them without paying pico 8 or splore
how do I do that?

I know how to download them, but the problem is that I have no way of running it
can I just rename it to zip or exe file?

8 comments

Something I thought about, how about a sideloadable Android version of Pico-8 that could be playable on the Ouya? I could turn my dusty Ouya into a Pico 8 Console.

2 comments

Cart #tothedepth-0 | 2021-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is a remix of the adventure game tutorial by @MBoffin.

About my game:

Move your character and head to the stairs.

Thank you for playing.

4 comments

Cart #colourwalker-0 | 2021-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Colour Walker

This cart was created as an experement at seeing if I can acomplish animated sprite movement, and to see if I could acomplish having the colour pallette change to the secret pallet on a special interaction with the player

Controls

arrow keys to move around, X to swap the colour that the player is standing on

Other

turns out the pal function is a silly billy pain in the butt! this was a real tricky one but im glad i completed this little idea c:

Credits

me! me! its all me!
follow me on twitter @caittastic_ i make lots of pixelart

1 comment

Hi guys:
This is kinda embarrassing but I'm not 100% sure how ELSE works.

If an if condition is originally TRUE, does the ELSE say "Well I'll do this is it's FALSE"?

c="ORANGE"
IF c="ORANGE" then print "YES" (This is definitely true)
ELSE print "NO" (Somewhere in the code, c changes to APPLE)

But what about OR comparisons?

c="ORANGE"
IF c="PLUM" OR c="GRAPE" then then print "YES"
ELSE print "NO" (It does this line because c is NEITHER PLUM or GRAPE)

I think that's correct so far. But I get a bit stuck on ELSEIF

c="ORANGE" b="APPLE"
IF c="PLUM" OR c="GRAPE" then then print "YES"
ELSEIF b="APPLE" print "THIS LINE!"

Does the psudo code above confirm the fact that c is NOT PLUM or GRAPE but sees that b is APPLE so runs that and prints "THIS LINE!"

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #sesatereke-0 | 2021-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Someone on Twitter asked for this, and this seemed like the easiest place to share the code.

function preplace_in_circle(centerx,centery,radius,checkcol,newcol)
	local topleft={x=centerx-radius,y=centery-radius}
	local bottomright={x=centerx+radius,y=centery+radius}
	for x=topleft["x"],bottomright["x"] do
		for y=topleft["y"],bottomright["y"] do
			if (x-centerx)^2+(y-centery)^2<radius^2 then
				if (pget(x,y)==checkcol) pset(x,y,newcol)
end
end
end
end
function psetin_circle(centerx,centery,radius,checkcol,col)
	local topleft={x=centerx-radius,y=centery-radius}

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=98594#p)
1 comment

I'm tying to build GOL on PICO-8, but the per-pixel manipulation is just too slow. Anything more than about 48x48 is unacceptably slow.
Initially I was reading/writing into temporary tables but that was really slow. This approach keeps all the state on the screen and in a sprite so there's about a quarter of the work from the table approach, but it's still slow.

I've started another experiment with peek4/poke4 but the coordinate wrapping is a total pain.

Cart #the_slow_life-0 | 2021-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

DOOMY (overdue Pico-1k jam)

by p01
Cart #doomy-1 | 2021-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

DOOMY, a tiny first person shooter in 1024 bytes, with collision detection, arbitrary walls, texture w. fog, sound effects, a couple of baddies and a death screen 👹👺💥

Controls & Goal

Move around with the Left, Right and Up arrow keys. Shoot with X or C.
You start with 10 health points, and need to shoot as many baddies until they get you good!

Inspiration

Seeing great and cute entries closing Pico-1k jam was inspiring. That's when I got an idea: "all things SSPR" to balance this cuteness with DOOMY pointless violence and big pixels.

Technical details

In a nutshell DOOMY is a rotozoom (the effect you get when rotating and zooming an image) laid down flat and rendered with scaled sprites.

Setup

The textures, sprites, and the base of the level are rendered as a group of rectfill and text in the first 3 lines of code, with first two textures of 8x8 for the walls, then 2 baddies, and finally the base of the level.

In the following 4 lines, the base of the level is expanded and some diagonal walls are added.

Every "thing" in DOOMY goes in the ▥ object which contains the x,y,t,w properties for the x,y position of the thing, it's texture index t and width w (nil or 1 for walls, 8 for the baddies)

Game loop

In the game loop the things in ▥ are rotated and moved into another object, 🐱, if they are in the visibility fustrum. The baddies move erratically towards the player.

The things in 🐱 are then sorted and rendered back to front, if one of these thing is large, it means it's a baddy and we render a shadow with an ovalfill

Collisions and baddies hit

For the collision detection, we check the distance of the last thing we drew. Blocking the way forward if it's very close.

We check the color of the pixel under the crosshair to know if it's a baddy. If you shoot we play a noise, increase the score and respawn it at a random location. Otherwise there is a 10% chance it will shoot you with a red flash and some noise.

You know the baddies are bad because they keep shooting you even when you're down!

Source code

u=.2v=1.5a=0p=0h=10▥={}r=rectfill f=add
cls()r(0,0,15,7,13)f(▥,{x=3,y=4,t=24,w=8})?"#%$3ᶜ9웃ᶜ8]

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=98580#p)
8 comments

Hello,

I have a problem with some code in version 0.2.3 that worked up to the previous version:

if stat(30)  then
      local k = ord(stat(31))
  end

ord(stat(31)) always returns null but was returning the correct value before.

It works if changed to:

if stat(30)  then
      local k = stat(31) k=ord(k)
  end

The RoboZ

1 comment

Hello,

while trying to compact code to save tokens I ran into an issue when trying to use split with strings containing escaped numbers \0, \1, etc.. (to store binary data that will be converted with ord()

s="abc\0def ghijkl"
split(s," ")

This seems to stop at \0 and the string part after " " will not be in the resulting table.

Is this intended behavior or a bug? With other escaped characters as \n \r \t the splitting works fine.

If this could be possible it would help me save additional tokens.

Thank you,

TheRoboZ

4 comments

I get screen tearing in any scrolling Pico 8 game that I tried, even when navigating the splore menu. A retro console shouldn't have screen tearing.

Is there any way to enable VSYNC and get rid of screen tearing in Pico 8?

If this is not possible currently, can Vsync be added in the future?

6 comments

Creating this blog to house my tweetcarts.
The first is this fireball creation ☄️

• pset instead of CLS
  • pset is used to check pixel colour and change the colour to one lower in the COL table.
  • two circles spinning around which get small as the radius from the centre gets smaller.

Cart #fireballrebirth-0 | 2021-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Ever wish PICO-8 had dual analog stick support? Me too, so I wrote Pinput. Pinput is a Lua library and suite of external helper apps to provide XInput-like gamepad support to PICO-8, without requiring binary patching. The library and helpers use the GPIO area of cartridge RAM to communicate, making Pinput a sort of virtual peripheral plugged into an imaginary expansion port. (The P8T Twitter client uses GPIO the same way.)

You can try it now if you have a gamepad that works with your browser. (You may want to test it first with this gamepad test page.)

Demo video:

Pinput working in web browser with Logitech F310 gamepad

What do you get?

• Up to 8 players

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #grave_matters-1 | 2021-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first attempt at a PICO-8 game.
I've never tried anything like this before, so it's been a fun learning experience.

This is my spooky side scroller hopefully wrapped up by Halloween.

Update 4)

• Adding a fade on death as well as some basic palette twiddling to make it look a little nicer.
  • More music because I'm kind of tired of hearing it at this point.
  • Spikes and death! Although the collision detection is going to need some major overhaul.

Update 5)

• More interactions
  • Starting enemies
  • More music
  • More map

Update 6)

• Bats! Spiders! Spikes!
  • Death!
  • Pixel collision!
  • If you can get the "potion", you've "won" for now!

Update 7)

• Health!
  • End-game and win condition
  • Spooky Scary Music!

Update 8)

• Add Easy Mode
  • Calling this one ready for Halloween

Here's the "Release Post" https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45134

12 comments

Hello all I've had some PICO-8 palettes lying around for Aseprite for a while so I decided to create a gitlab repo and let others use them. I know Aseprite comes with PICO-8, but I created a more complete set based off a palette image i found.

The repo is at https://gitlab.com/pico-8/aseprite

If you don't want to go to the repo the extension file is:
parlortricks-pico-8-palettes.aseprite-extension

Here is what it looks like if you follow the installation:

Hope this helps out someone :)

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->