BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #tetris_1k-7 | 2023-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Version 1.01: Fixed glitch, improved game over screen, corrected next piece preview orientation
Version 1.02: Fixed game-ending glitch arising from Pico-8 0.2.5 update

This is basically a full game of Tetris in 1024 characters, featuring:

• Sprite Graphics

• Next Piece Preview

• Score System

• Left/Right Piece Rotation

• Pieces can be slotted in under ledges

• Title Screen

• Game Over State/Restart

Controls:

L/R-------Move Piece

O---------Rotate Counterclockwise

X---------Rotate Clockwise

Down---Soft Drop

This is an upgrade of my previous Tweettweetjam version of Tetris, and I was able to add a lot of things due to the extra space. A few things that I wanted to include wouldn't fit, like sound effects, level selection, and a fancier title screen, but this has graphics, solid mechanics, and a full game loop. The scoring system is based on the one in the Game Boy version, but with points only given when lines are cleared, and values divided by 10 to fit in Pico-8's 32,767 maximum. Hope you enjoy playing it!

2 comments

Cart #miyihigeso-1 | 2021-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #picophobia-0 | 2021-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Picophobia(Phasmophobia Demake)

I love the original game and the genre it has kicked off. So for it´s anniversary i made a Pico8-Version that you can play with two people. I used AFBUs great raycasting engine(https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=13195#p) and modified it a bit to fit my needs(mainly being a splitscreen game). I´m still working on incorporating sprites, but we´ll see wether i can figure out the math in the future. Any help would be appreciated!
Use X in the Van to equip the different tools and write down your findings in your Journal (press O)

Have fun, tell me about your sightings and feel free to modify or add levels!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #frostpunk_pico-2 | 2022-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controller Version

Cart #frostpunk_controller-0 | 2021-09-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello, Captain. Welcome to the frigid wastes of Northern England. The world is cooling, London is in disarray, and there is no end in sight. You are charged with helping your group of refugees survive the cold. This task will be daunting and dangerous, but you are not without hope.

To interact with your city use your mouse. A right click at the edges of the screen will move the camera, a left click will allow you to interact with the various menus and buildings. Your most important edict is this. Keep the Generator running. If it goes out surely your city will freeze to death.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #mofuborohu-0 | 2021-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

KiloKitty has business in the next town over (a special deal on yummy catfood), but the evil no-flight droids are attempting to shoot down anything that flies through the night sky after curfew. Worse, they all look like oranges! (which KiloKitty personally hates)

This game was made for the pico-1k jam. Its source code is only 1009 characters out of the allowed 1024. The cartridge made for this site is slightly different than the one I submitted to the jam, though, as the character count included comments. This version has the game title and my name at the top so they'd appear in the label. I unfortunately didn't have enough space to include a menu or automatic resetting after a game over, so instead the game freezes intentionally so at least the player can get to see how well they did.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #nedudumsu-0 | 2021-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a mod for @eboatwright 's simple platformer game!
I'm very new to pico-8, so I thought this would be a good way to start. Enjoy!

1 comment

Hungry Bobs

A Lil Evolution Sim

Cart #hungrybobs-0 | 2021-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This little ecosystem is composed of a population of colorful B(l)obs, and their food source, the green Al(gae)s. Unlike environments on Earth, where energy is constantly being lost as heat and gained from sunlight or chemical or geological activity, the Bobs and Als form a quasi-closed* system. New Als will only grow if there is enough free energy available, energy which must have been lost by Bobs going about their daily metabolic business.

Although the Als are happy to just appear and disappear when the simulation says so, the Bobs are somewhat more complex critters:

• Bobs move around the toroidal petri dish at a constant speed
  • When hungry or curious, Bobs will change direction and swim off somewhere else

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Clams

My first Pico-8 game :)
Feedback welcome

Get the Clams and put them in the hut
3 different characters with different abilities

If you get lots of Clams in one go, you get bonus points!
But beware, as this will make you slow.

Cart #ratewuyuki-4 | 2022-12-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #wiredance_animation-0 | 2021-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Animated greeting-card (noninteractive) for the Wirehead team, on the successful completion of their crowdfunding campaign!

Press Z-key/O-button to show credits.

Wirehead sprites are from my earlier game, Berzerk Realm.
Music by Cold Air Unit.

0 comments

Three step by step tutorials on how to get your games onto the 3 most interesting Pico-8 platforms. The itch ones goes into basic details on how to design your page too!

1 comment

Cart #masked_dedede-0 | 2021-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A remix I made in a few hours.

Press (O)/Z to play the SFX Instrument version

Press (X)/X to play the Non-SFX Instrument version

0 comments

Cart #sonic16x16-1 | 2021-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A 16x16 pixel demake of Sonic 1. Features Green Hill Zone 1 with Dr Eggman boss battle at the end.
I tried to keep the feel of Sonic 1 as best I could, and the level is fairly accurate to the original, though not 100% the same.

Features

All badniks except for Newton, the chameleon type.
Ring and Invincibility Monitors. No shield.
Remakes of original Sonic 1 music.
Timer/ring count HUD for speed running. Toggled via the pause menu.
Current best 42seconds!

GIFs

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

PICO-8 0.2.3:

1. REBOOT PICO-8 to clear memory to defaults.
  2. Open the music editor.
  3. Navigate to pattern 63, then select it.
  4. Activate the fourth channel. Set its sfx to 63.
  5. SAVE NONEMPTY.P8
  6. REBOOT
  7. LOAD NONEMPTY.P8
  8. Navigate to pattern 63.

Expected: Pattern 63's fourth channel should still be active and set to 63.
Actual: It is empty.

Expected: The .p8 file contains a music section with 63 default patterns and one non-default pattern.
Actual: There is no music section.

This appears to be a bug in the P8 section truncation logic that omits trailing default (empty) lines of each section. This does not happen when saving as .p8.png. I can set earlier channel patterns and see them show up in the .p8 while the last one is still missing. At some point my messing around restores intended behavior, so I don't know how that works internally. But I can repro with the steps above.

0 comments

1 comment

Cart #luigibros02reskin-1 | 2021-09-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

The audio print control code can take a number to refer to a specific sfx slot. Given only the number, it plays the sfx in that slot:

-- plays sfx 12 (silent if the slot is empty)
?"\a12"

When followed by a space and additional print material, I expect it to play the given sfx as above. Instead, it plays the standard beep as if no number is present. I can further confirm that it actually stores the system beep in the numbered slot, overriding whatever sfx data was there previously.

-- beeps (expected: play sfx 12)
?"\a12 sup yall"

-- beeps
sfx(12)

When followed by note data, this works as documented: it stores the note data in the given sfx slot, plays it, and prints the rest of the string.

-- stores note data in sfx 12 and plays it
?"\a12s4Xxc1egc2egc3egc4"

-- plays sfx 12
?"\a12"

-- plays sfx 12
sfx(12)

-- beeps (expected: play sfx 12)
?"\a12 sup yall"

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=97355#p)
0 comments

I've been hard at work on a metroidvania-style cart with a bit of its own flavor. This has been super fun to do on pico-8, and I'll post it up once I feel at least 90%+ happy with it. In the meantime, does anybody have any recommendations for similar style platformer/exploration pico-8 carts to try out?

4 comments

Cart #warriorofcayuse-8 | 2023-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

you are a pilot of MD530F Cayuse warrior.

pilot this tiny helicopter and complete your challenging missions !

You have two kinds of missions : ground attack and rescue.

in ground attack missions, you have to destroy all given targets in the level.

in rescue missions, you have to rescue the hostages and carry them back to your base.
you get a bonus helicopter if you success this mission, but if half or more of hostages are killed the mission is considered as failure and you can't get that bonus.

during the mission, enemy aircrafts (self-destructing drones, gunships, and bombers) will appear to stop you. if you heard aircraft warning sound, watch your radar and fight or avoid them carefully.

by landing at the base, you can rearm weapons and repair the helicopter.
if you press X while landing at the base, you can switch the main weapon between minigun and rockets.

minigun has large amount of ammo and fast firerate speed, which is useful for anti-air and anti-personel but it can't damage armored enemies or buildings.

rockets can damage armored enemies, but its slow projectile speed and less amount of ammo make it hard to deal with aircrafts.

your helicopter can take 2 gunfires, but everything else (flak cannons, shells, bombs, rockets, and walls) can destroy it with one hit.

controls :

X : Fire main weapon / drop bombs when facing center / switch main weapon

Holding O while facing sides : face the opposite direction.

shortly tapping O while facing sides : face the center.

Pressing O while facing center and holding left or right : face the desired direction.

since I had ran out of tokens I couldn't add scoreing and leaderboard. just try and see how many missions you can complete.

18 comments

Cart #jam_1k_maker-1 | 2021-09-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1K Maker is a level maker under 1024 characters for the PICO-1K Jam. You can place stars that are required to get in order to go to the next door. Left click and hold to place or remove platforms. Right click to move the player.
(you can only use the right key to select what object you want to place)

Itch.io version: https://gametriangle.itch.io/1k-maker

0 comments

Cart #ducks_flan-0 | 2021-09-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Very small game in which you play as a duck, and each level consists of getting to a flan while passing through some time-based traps.

This is my first game for pico8 so any pointers are more than welcome!

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->