BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #hell_cat_cb-0 | 2021-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A small game I made as a way to spend time while the Wowie jam started, Hell Cat is a game where you protect a lil kitty from being burned by the evil habitants of hell!

0 comments

This post is an update on the environments of Mushroom Hero. Been working on the design of the first level, it's a grasslands area! The mountains took a ton of reworking but I finally got them in a state I'm happy with. I added some hills in the middle ground to provide a bit of depth. Also created 4 cloud variants to dot around the sky.

I want to leave a bit of room up top for (possibly) a coin/score counter to be implemented in the future. By freeing up some of the sky it also allows room for higher platforms and harder to reach areas.

0 comments

Hi everybody! I'm about to release my first full-scale project, but I have one final obstacle to contend with: font choice. I have 3 options, and I just wanted to see what you guys thought would be good.
Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Options 1 and 3 have support for uppercase and lowercase letters (though, conversely, option 2 supports symbols). Option 3 looks the nicest, but I have to use less of the screen for text or else it takes up too much CPU power. Also, the font is bigger, so it has less characters per line. Right now, I'm really stuck between options 1 and 2. I like the addition of upper and lowercase letters, but to be honest, I'm not sure that makes up for it being sort of ugly.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)

16 comments

Cart #spookleste1-11 | 2021-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

11 comments

Cart #noclipexistential-0 | 2021-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's the third song in Noclip! Made it last night. It's the longest track I've made so far! I'm pretty proud of it. Let me know what you think!

0 comments

Cart #scrolleste-0 | 2021-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I present to you a celeste classic mod that offers a unique perspective on vanilla with a gameplay twist that keeps you on the edge of your seat. A very high skill ceiling, but fun for anybody that wants to pick it up and see how far they can go.

Features:

• All 31 screens from the original game have been stitched together into one big mega-map!
  • An unlocked camera
  • Rising lava that wants to prevent you from ever reaching the summit
  • 5 unique difficulties
  • Every berry remains functional
  • A score based on how far ahead of the lava you are when you reach the summit
  • New tunes! A remix of the classic classic music
  • A new coat of paint. An optional palette swap to keep things looking fresh

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #picoape-1 | 2021-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Working on my first Pico8 game, I'm really liking the console. It's inspired by the QBASIC Gorillas game.

Instructions

• Up/Down - Power
  • Left/Right - Angle
  • Hold O - Increment by 5
  • X - Throw Banana
0 comments

Cart #procedural_islands-0 | 2021-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey everyone! I'm making Clarice Clairvoyage over at a WIP thread, but wanted to share a part of my upcoming devlog separately as an animated cart/snippet!

It goes over the steps to make a procedural island, if you want to use the code, free free to do so!
Would appreciate the attribution!

There's a lot of ways that you can make it your own, try to edit which circles you want do draw more on besides the first one. Maybe do another layer on top of the trees for some more texture? Add a mountain or vulcano? Maybe a little town!

It's up to you!

If you can and want to learn more about me or the project I'm working on: Check out Clarice Clairvoyage!

Thanks! - Bram

1 comment

This post is mostly just to share an experiment I did when playing around with compressing graphics.

I noticed when looking around, that many PICO-8 carts that do compress graphics were using some form of LZ or RLE compression. Out of curiosity, I decided to do some research on how the Generation 1 Pokemon games compressed an impressive amount of graphics data into the small cart size. It turns out that they use a form of RLE compression. I won't go into detail myself, but instead refer to a great YouTube video that very precisely describes how it works.

Essentially, this compression algorithm stands out because:

• It splits the graphics into bit planes (i.e. 1 bit-per-pixel images)
  • It operates on pixel pairs, only encoding runs of pairs of 0's
  • It uses several flags to control how the bit planes are mixed in order to increase compression ratios
  • The original algorithm compresses 2bpp images (i.e. 4 colours). That being said, there is no reason why it cannot be extended to higher colour depths

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Your Pico-8 just got down to business.

The full-featured, high-precision spreadsheet application for the Pico-8 that nobody asked for has finally arrived! PicoCalc is a feature-complete1 clone of the 1979 classic VisiCalc, which introduced the world to an entirely new category of business application. Steve Jobs said of VisiCalc, it's "what really drove -- propelled -- the Apple ][ to the success it achieved."

PicoCalc does everything* VisiCalc can do, with some enhancements over the Apple ][ classic:

• 18.18 integer/fractional precision vs. VisiCalc's 12.
    Handles numbers as big as 999999999999999999.999999999999999999
  • Granular error reporting!
    Get informed of division by zero, number overflow, and more.
  • Multi-color representation of active/inactive cursor, locked titles, truncated values, and error messages
  • Save and load your work

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Ctrl+0 toggles the Keyboard Cursor option on and off. What the heck is this? The manual does not mention it.

1 comment

The Quest for the Perfect PICO-8 handheld

Ever since PICO-8 was created people have longed for a physical form of what is still a fantasy console.

On my long quest for the perfect PICO-8 handheld I've owned no less than six handhelds (plus experiments with iPhones and DIY Pi Zero solutions). Until I finally reached the handheld endgame with the Waveshare GPM280. Here's my take on all of them:

Name Pros Cons
PocketChip Officially supported by Zep Terrible keyboard, unplayable game controls
" Screen is pixel-perfect (with a bit of border) Really bulky
" Hacker vibes Unfinished look
" No sound
" Not enough perf for demanding carts
Clockwork Pi Good performance Bulky
" Good controls Low rez plastic screen that scratches easily
" Nice OS Need to assemble
" Video driver issues
GPi Case Great build quality Pi 0 doesn't have enough perf even for 30 fps carts

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Picoris 2

The thrilling sequel to the original! Who would've thought?

Featuring 10 modes, a slew of options, cascade gravity, probably a few bugs, and hours of fun, it's the ultimate Tetris clone on Pico-8!

Modes

Most modes in this game are inspired by Tetris (PSP).

Marathon

Simple endless mode. Clear as many lines as possible before topping out.

Sprint

Game ends after 40 lines, clear them as fast as you can!

Treadmill

The stack shifts to the left after every piece, try not to get dizzy!

Laser

Don't let the laser hit your stack, or else it's game over!

Garbage

Garbage lines rise from the ground, try not to get overwhelmed!

Split

Arguably the most confusing mode, alternate placing pieces on each side of the board!

Scanner

"Clear" as many lines as you can before they all get cleared at once!

Invisible

Try to place as many pieces as you can, without seeing any of your stack!

Solidify

The blocks solidify into blocks you have to clear twice!

Ledges

Place your pieces onto the unclearable blocks, or sacrifice them to the void!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

v0.2.2
Every so often I click to select one character. I ran into this situation where a closing parenthesis and the following space acted as a unit when selected; I could not select either one independently. But in an expression in the line directly above, I was able to. See the following gif.

1 comment

Hi,

on a Mac (Big Sur) I did some experiments with drawing a 3D starfield using lines.

Cart #mefuzakofe-0 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

However, PICO-8 regularly crashes completely (play around with the 6 buttons for the star speed in all 3 directions) and a debug with lldb on the Mac terminal uncovered the following:

So there seems to be a problem in 0.2.2 with line drawing somewhere.

I hope this can be fixed for the upcoming 0.2.2b

• Martin
7 comments

Cart #taregomine-0 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Decided to make this endless maze generator. That is all. 😊

1 comment

Cart #mb_simplefps-0 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a very simple FPS controller as a sort of example cart to build off of. This is just to get you going, as opposed to a full framework around which to build a full game. Hopefully it serves as a good jumping off point for someone to make something fun.

It uses player 2's ESDF controls for moving around and SPACE for jumping.

EDIT: Here's a very heavily commented version! Probably way more comments than usually necessary, but it's intended to help you learn, rather than just briefly annotate what's happening in the code.

Cart #mb_simplefpscomments-1 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

11 comments

Cart #fitahinigu-3 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

There's something weird going on here; using ..= along with a single-line if-then-end statement causes a syntax error that makes no sense:

syntax error line 16 (tab 0)
if x<2 then bad..="1" end
')' expected near 'end'

I've included 4 similar test cases that don't trigger this bug

My pico-8 version is 0.2.2 (stat(5)==30)

2 comments

Cart #yizizifoho-3 | 2021-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #yizizifoho-2 | 2021-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #turtletime-1 | 2021-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Turtle Time

A Puzzle Game

You need to bring all of the turtles to their houses. Careful, though: you may only move a turtle once before it hides in its shell.

Controls

Use the left and right arrows to select a turtle, and press Z to select it. Press Z to de-select too.

Once a turtle is selected, press any direction to move the turtle.

Press X to restart the level.

NOTE: ALL LEVELS HAVE BEEN TESTED AND ARE POSSIBLE

Version 1.1 Update

Added a level and moves counter.

3 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->